Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tornado's really help Camaros?

This is a discussion on Tornado's really help Camaros? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; No it does absolutely nothing. Mechanically in a fuel injected car it is the equivalent to putting on a buffalo ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No it does absolutely nothing. Mechanically in a fuel injected car it is the equivalent to putting on a buffalo head dress and dancing around your car singing New York New York nekkid.
    After putting your clothes back on you get 2mpg better gas mileage because you are sub consciously aware your performed the ancient better MPG dance of the Buffalo Gods and drive "easier" than before. This has been proven time and time again with the damn Tornado snake oil bullshit that folks get "better MPG" for the first few tanks and then suddenly they go right back to the same MPG. Why? They forgot about it and went back to driving the same. Southwest Research and a few others have tested this device and found it to be absolutely worthless. So either come to the realization it is a worthless POS or get used to being nekkid and dancing with a dead Buffalo head on your noggin.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The device fits inside the air intake hose and is supposed to swirl the air into your engine, mixing air and fuel for a more efficient burn, and therefore better mileage.

I took three Tornados to AAA in Seattle, where technician Dave Armstrong and his team agreed to install them in their trucks.

Installation was easy: Disconnect the air intake hose, insert the Tornado snuggly inside the hose, then reconnect the hose. That's it.

AAA's service fleet is on a computerized vehicle analysis system that tracks everything, including mileage.

Here's the mileage before the Tornado:

14.74 miles a gallon for truck number 22.
    10.25 mpg for Truck 28
    11.94 mpg for Truck 31

Dave said the same people who have driven the trucks in the past will be driving them during our test.

"The same people and the same driving conditions," he said. They agreed to test the Tornado for one month.

The techs at AAA are no strangers to products with gas saving claims. They've tested magnets -- they don't work. They've tested additives -- they don't work either.

But the claims keep coming.

"That's why these places are in business, people are always tempted to try them," Armstrong said.

The Results Are In

After one month, we returned to check the Vehicle Analysis Report.

"No noticeable effect whatsoever," reported Armstrong.

When we started the test, Truck 22 was getting 14.74 miles per gallon.

"During our test period, it ended up for one month the test period was 14.68. That's negligible, yeah roughly unchanged," Armstrong said.

Truck 28 went from 10.25 to 10.20 miles per gallon. And Truck 31 went from 11.94 mpg to 11.80.

"I paid good money for those things, what did they do? At this point I would say not a thing," Armstrong said.

Bottom line is this. Walk me through how spinning air into your intake prior to the injector makes a rats ass bit of difference when that injector fires. Or PM me and I'll send you the words to the song.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

How about just posting up the words for I can just try the naked dance for fun.

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

if what ever happens on tv ads is supposedly true... maxaderm should have made my cock bigger.... and all naturally at that!!!

guess what it dint end up working so now i have a have eaten bottle of maxaderm and a really cool car to help offset the tiny penis thing i got goin on... and yes its soo small i have a crotch rocket to to help the car make up for it... not to mentiont he cash im out now since it dint work price of the maxaderm+car price+crotch rocket

hehehahamuhahaahaa!!
    Last edited by JOHN_DEERE_LS6; 08-30-2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: had to make myself laugh harder...

white
    2002 z28

soo since we know it dont work,

do we know if it can hurt the HP or even give loss since there is somewhat of air blockage????????????

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

If it worked the Auto Manufact. would have it installed already!!! It doesnt work!!!!!!

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

ok here goes. A buddy of mine recently sold his 2000 SS...he had a tornado that he'd bought when he first got the car...but, you can't install it on a car with smooth bellows... so he gave it to me to try out....performance-wise it's equivalent to the smooth bellow itself, it does speed the air up, and i did get an hp gain(not 10 at the rear wheel like the commercial said..about 4-5 hp)...as far as design...this thing is not going to come apart like the tiburon version, simply because it is smaller and thicker (i looked up the design difference because my wife had an 07 tiburon).....however, as far as gas mileage...i have noticed, if any, maybe a 1 MPG gain....MAYBE...it could be the difference between my lead foot one week and my lead foot without Doc Martens on the next week....so IMO if i were goin' to buy anything...go with smooth bellows, there's no chance of it going through your engine, and it looks better than the accordian that comes stock......true, i still have mine with the tornado inside, but that's because it was free, and i like the new little whistle sound it makes when i hit the gas...childish i know...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

these hp gains you claim??? Is that a guestitmate??? How do you differentiate 10 from 4-5? I'm not trying to be an ass, but i'm skeptical as apparently many others are and i'm interested in the support for your claims. Perhaps it is psychological? If you expect the car to be stronger, it feels stronger; but do you think you can 'feel' a 4-5 hp difference?? If so you are a better man than I... and as far as the 'whistle'...if you like that, spend several hundred on a cat-back--you'll love the sound--never even hear the 'whistle' and get actual performace results on top of it.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

yeah my car's a little quiet, i've got friends with ss cars in tulsa that make fun of me because you can't even hear it at idle...i'm working on losing the cats all together and going with some pacesetters and a y-pipe. As far as guessing over facts, it is an estimate. I have a friend who also owned an ss (he sold it for a 4x4...) When i first got my car, we ran side by side...everytime we raced...side by side...sooo, we used that as an estimate when buying new stuff. I took that tornado from him, cause he had smooth bellows*** and didn't need it, put it in my car, and we raced. instead of side by side this time, i pulled a nose in front of him at 3rd. Two weeks later he bought an slp intake and pulled a half-car length in front of me in 3rd. Our 'guess' was that he got about the 10hp expected from his intake, and i got about half that. That's how we tested everything til he sold his car...it's a screwed up way to do it, but we were too broke at the time for dyno tests, and it was an excuse to race...

***by the way, the smooth bellow that he had did absolutely nothing to make him faster than me, we still ran side by side after he installed that part, and my car was bone stock...not saying they don't do anything, but it didn't do anything for him.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Don't know about the Tornado,but after installing my long tube headers,I found I get 1.5mpg BETTER mileage on highway!Best I could do before, with the top down, was 27- now I got 28.5!!!!
    Headers and a tune I picked up about 2.5mpg around town if I keep my foot off the go pedal.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Silver
    2000 Trans AM WS6

On a related matter, my wife ordered 'car pills' for me to try out. I got better mileage the first week and then went back to the original mileage leading me to conclude that the gains were me being more careful about my driving habits. If it's too good to be true, most often it is.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am
    1995 Trans Am convertible

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

ok here's another update...yesterday my car popped up two lean codes and low input to the TPS....a brand new TPS at that....i got to thinking, it hurt, so i took a break....then a lightbulb popped up....i went out, took the tornado out of the intake, took my car for a drive, and within about 20 minutes my SES light turned itself off....my new opinion, tornado's are only good for throwing at people, they're rather accurate in that field...so i apologize for even trying to defend it before I am a total dumb-

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i say screw em

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

NO!!

We did MANY tests with all types of vehicles and EVERYONE lost power on the dyno. All the way from carbed motors,domestic V-6 & V-8's EFIs,And even imports.

If you want to spend that much on some BS please PM me and I'll sell you some parts also.

That just like the SPLIT FIRE plugs..... If they really worked and gained you HP you don't think EVERY ProStock car would run them. They are with in .001 of each other. A whole field may only vary a .10 on wether or not you qualify for the event.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    NO!!

We did MANY tests with all types of vehicles and EVERYONE lost power on the dyno. All the way from carbed motors,domestic V-6 & V-8's EFIs,And even imports.

If you want to spend that much on some BS please PM me and I'll sell you some parts also.

That just like the SPLIT FIRE plugs..... If they really worked and gained you HP you don't think EVERY ProStock car would run them. They are with in .001 of each other. A whole field may only vary a .10 on wether or not you qualify for the event.

How much power loss are we talking here? 1hp, 200hp, negative hp? nah j/k but really, how much on a Maro?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    How much power loss are we talking here? 1hp, 200hp, negative hp? nah j/k but really, how much on a Maro?
    It was in the area of 5-12 depending on the car and it's mods. You have to remember you are now adding a restriction in the air intake that a MultiMillion dollar company put thousands of R&D into.

grey
    2001 silverado

i cant beleave yall are actually discussing this shit so deeply hahaah. the guy above who thinks he gained power is just getting a placebo affect. its like guys who claim 10hp from a throttle body spacer...i do know of one guy who runs the tornado on a silverado that puts down impressive times. he showed a 2hp gain on the dyno and runs 12.5's with his 5.3 all motor stock heads(cam only motor). im still not getting one for my truck

i wish i could come up with a clever gimic and become rich.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

true that. you put it that way and it makes me want to slap myself for even installing it...even though it was free to me...from now on, i will only put stuff in/on my car that is recommended from a high number of people on this site... like Zaino, cause it just rained and my car is dirty...it probably adds more hp than the tornado...

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

wait hold up...whats wrong with split fire spark plugs...am i losing hp

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

A good healthy deucer in the bathroom produces more rwhp then the tornado.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 09-10-2007 at 12:42 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    wait hold up...whats wrong with split fire spark plugs...am i losing hp
    Probably not BUT if you make any claims on this site without evidence from a dynometer you are deemed a moron. I find it funny that a guy can wake up in the morning start his car and when he drives he feels more power because the car is getting a colder charge of air in the cold morning air then in the heat of the afternoon-but when any other claims are made about feeling more power you get laughed at because of no proof. I mean how much more HP can the guy driving his car on a cold morning be getting?3-5-10? Just curious.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information