Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topped out at 149 :-(

I ran my 02 WS6 the other night, at 250' elevation above sea level, on a 6 degree night. No mods, wide open throttle for as long as I wanted it, on a flat road. I just could get her past 149mph

I thought these things went higher? It is an Auto if that matters. Where do you guys find your stock F-bodys top out?

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

dude 150mph is pretty fuckin fast. i bet with a just a lid or an exhaust you could see a few more mph. i would imagine m6's being able to go faster than the a4s. im not sure but i think our cars have a speed limiter from the factory. a tune would take that away, if we have it.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Both my 98 SS and my 02 are a4's and neither has any trouble burying the speedo and then some.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I ran my 02 WS6 the other night, at 250' elevation above sea level, on a 6 degree night. No mods, wide open throttle for as long as I wanted it, on a flat road. I just could get her past 149mph

I thought these things went higher? It is an Auto if that matters. Where do you guys find your stock F-bodys top out?
    try getting that speed limiter removed. that should solve your problem.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

First off I envy you for being able to do that w/o worry. Supposedly they can do 168 but you'll never know because of the speedo-check tire pressure? Usually if they are limited it's at 130 because of the tires they came on from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Both my 98 SS and my 02 are a4's and neither has any trouble burying the speedo and then some.
    I assume that puts you well into the 160s ? Best estimate. Are they stock, and did you have to remove any speed limiters?

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Supposedly they can do 168 but you'll never know because of the speedo-check tire pressure? Usually if they are limited it's at 130 because of the tires they came on from the factory.
    My tire pressure was at the recommended level for that type of high speed operation at the time and my 02 WS6 came with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires...which I though was the sign that it had no limiter.

It really didn't feel like slamming into a limiter though....the last 10mph took forever to get. It pulled hard to the end of third, then laboured on into 4th, really slowing at 140.
    Maybe all the time it sat before I bought it has weakened it somewhere...clogged up fuel filter or line, degraded plug wires or the like? I don't know its operational history as far as how often driven etc, only that it had 2800miles on it as of May 2008.
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 12-30-2008 at 11:43 AM.

RED
    99 Trans Am

thats prettyfuckin fast i've never really brought mine much past 100 i like living

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyRocks View Post
    thats prettyfuckin fast i've never really brought mine much past 100 i like living
    Well if you change your mind and want to go for a spin ;-)

Seriously though, its only speed...well maintained car, closed road/track, predictable and relatively smooth surface. Its way more boring doing 150 in a straight line than 50 around winding turns.

I just thought the WS6 had more....my old dodge 4 door V6 sedan hits 140

.....Can't wait to get geared up for racing...120 around corners on narrow winding sea coast roads...its gonna get hairy!
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 12-30-2008 at 11:58 AM.

RED
    99 Trans Am

turns are fun love them on my gsxr

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyRocks View Post
    turns are fun love them on my gsxr
    GSXR.....and I thought you loved living

RED
    99 Trans Am

lol good point

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had the formula up to 135 and it was swimming around quite a bit so I slowed it back down and the road wasn't perfectly flat. I've had the goat to 140 and could've steered it with 1 finger, very stable. That's about as fast as I'd ever want to go and probably the last time.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i had mine (a4 + 2.73 rear) past 150 a couple of times. with the stock shocks it was a bit scary, especially braking down hard to 60 (wich i had to do once). with bilsteins no big deal.
    but also: past 140 in 4th gear not a lot is happening.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

woaaaaaaah thats fast......6 degrees F or C???????? your tires have nearly NO grip at all at that temp.......your fucking NUTS!!!!! lol.....were u not worried about hitting a deer/moose/bear etc etc??? .......like others said get a lid and catback

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

oh yeah and what gears do u have? im SURE 323s or 342s would net u a higher top end........might run out of gear befoer 160 with 373s or steeper

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

check it out......373s would net u 175mph top end with 6000 redline .....put gears and a lid on it
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 12-30-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Well if that is 6 degrees F...you have much denser air, depending on humidity, you are talking around 8.5% more than ~75 deg. And then you get more bang during expansion and the block should be cooler. You might be talking pulling 30+ more horses over a 75 degree run!

None

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    oh yeah and what gears do u have? im SURE 323s or 342s would net u a higher top end........might run out of gear befoer 160 with 373s or steeper

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

check it out......373s would net u 175mph top end with 6000 redline .....put gears and a lid on it
    Thanks for the nice chart!!!

I thought, I was going pretty dam fast!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think the fact that your car is a stock auto is the reason you could only hit 149MPH. Once you go into 4th gear (OD) the power really falls off. M6's are better for top speed because you have much closer ratios, and in stock form 5th gear will take you to about 180MPH, so there's no need to go into 6th.

I've had my car up to 145MPH on the interstate, and it was still pulling hard. Mods are in sig.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    My tire pressure was at the recommended level for that type of high speed operation at the time and my 02 WS6 came with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires...which I though was the sign that it had no limiter.

It really didn't feel like slamming into a limiter though....the last 10mph took forever to get. It pulled hard to the end of third, then laboured on into 4th, really slowing at 140.
    Maybe all the time it sat before I bought it has weakened it somewhere...clogged up fuel filter or line, degraded plug wires or the like? I don't know its operational history as far as how often driven etc, only that it had 2800miles on it as of May 2008.
    you would of had alot more problems if your fuel lines were messed up. Find someone in the area with a handheld tuner and see if it is limited.

Thread Information