Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Top Speed on my Z28

This is a discussion on Top Speed on my Z28 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by PFM Here you can do the math. http://www.pszweb.com/car/gears.htm I wish It was true It says that at ...

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Here you can do the math.

http://www.pszweb.com/car/gears.htm
    I wish It was true It says that at 6000rpms I can hit 175mph with my tires and 3.73, I dont know... I do have 345rwtq sound to good to be true , ok that it I going on the freeway to find out be right back lol! just kidding

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    yo thanks man its kinda cool but I dont know if right ,says I can do 175 mph with a 6000 grand rev limt, and 3.73 with my tires I want to belive that but sound to good to be true I do have 345rwtq dam it I going on the freeway to find out I be back just kidding I wish there was somewhere in the bay area that I can go to like a airbase or something like that!!!
    the other thing to take in to account is that th charts show the top speed with out taking wind resistance or HP in to account...

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

I guess there only one way to find out anyone knows anyplace in the bay area that i CAN DO this in???!!!?????

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    the other thing to take in to account is that th charts show the top speed with out taking wind resistance or HP in to account...
    you may be right on that put I did put my car in the type of car 98-01 F-body A4 boom it pulled up the gear raio of the trans then I typed in my gear and tire size but not hp level??!!! I a simple questiuon why so hard to find out how fast we can go????????????????????

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Bonneville salt flats?

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

tell me man, what do you mean by Full bolt on everybody opiton is different ! and also do you know with your mods how much hp and tq are you makin??
    Full Bolt-On's for me at the time were:
    -SLP Lid
    -Kooks 1 3/4 inch Stainless Steel Headers
    -Texas Speed True Duals w/ Sweet Thunder Mufflers
    -LS6 Intake Manifold
    -S2 Performance - Port and Polished S3 Throttle Body
    -Tuned by Frost (Mail Order)

You're saying 175 with 3.73s on that chart.. That's 4th Gear, It might be a little different with a stall ( I wouldn't know ) but when the transmission goes to 4th on mine, it falls flat on its face and doesn't go any faster, 3rd Gear pulls to 166 MPH and then its done, Top Speed.. And if you plug 2.73's on that chart on 3rd gear that's about right

EDIT- No Idea what it made, my guess was 335-340rwhp, somewhere in there
    Last edited by GoldenFlame; 10-08-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Just checking I hate people who put big ass 20'' rims or bigger and thinks there cool. you can understand that right??
    Stock size TIRE is about 26" tall. Wheel is 16 or 17 inch from the factory.
    On my 17's I have 315/35/17's.
    On my 15's I gave 27x11.5x15's (those are 27" tall).

My top speed would be plenty.
    I just don't care. I see NO reason to endanger my life, my license, my job for a minute of high speed action.
    Besides....I prefer getting to 120MPH in under 12 seconds (at my altitude)....should be 128MPH or so under 11 seconds at sea level.

As for not going WOT in 5th or 6th....they are overdrive gears. Not designed for power. Same as 4th gear in the A4.

That chart is accurate!!!!
    Most don't have the power for 175MPH (but you have enough gearing)....it is like cutting through a wall at that speed.

red
    2000 Z28

you may be right on that put I did put my car in the type of car 98-01 F-body A4 boom it pulled up the gear raio of the trans then I typed in my gear and tire size but not hp level??!!! I a simple questiuon why so hard to find out how fast we can go????????????????????
    If you're serious about top speed, google SCTA or click on the link in my 2nd reply. Run it on a track or lake bed and off the street so you don't kill yourself or someone else.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Well when I had my crappy dump tune my car was at 338.9 HP on a dynojet with the 3.23's and have 3.73's now and been up to 135 to 140mph was watching the road more than the speedo and the rpms were already high but I would have to estimate 150's max and it'll should be at 6k. One night when I have a clear highway I will try to take it out and see if I can get a top speed run in. Back in MA at night the highways were empty in the area near me so top speed runs were easy. Not sure how accurate my.speeso was buy with a.modded stang with a.t5 and 3.73's I buried the 150 speedo but was at redlinewhen I did and.had no more. so a A4 with 3.73's should max I'm the 150's unless you have a cam and head setup that'll let you run to 6600 or 6800 rpm and a converter that'll handle it the I would say 160's. I think gearing and redline will hold you back more than the HP.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

To the OP: How old are you (if you don't mind my asking)?

Also, what is your experience (if any) with high speed driving?
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    To the OP: How old are you (if you don't mind my asking)?

Also, what is your experience (if any) with high speed driving?
    If you where asking me,I not that old , I only 25 and as far as the high speed thing I been driving for 11 years, most of them with ls powered cars, so do I have experance maybe no, but does that make me less passiate about ls cars also no, and a far as the top speed thing just for shit and giggles and I was asking, well there this rich guy in my apparment with a ferreri 360, nice car,bigbrakes small eninge 3.6L V8, i asked the guy how much hp did he have in is car, he replied 500, so I looked it up he has only 417hp and 275tq, and he weighs 3130,I weigh 3343 so he 200lbs lighter but I have 200 more tq than him and he tops out at 180mph, I know he has me at top speed but, for some reason I think I can go toe-toe with and overprice italyen beu, and sayed toe to toe not beat I whould need a cam for that!!!
    True he has a better drivetrain number than me being a MR car, But Tq is TQ my Friend, carbon foot print like shaq's shoes lol, Just wondering about your ground cerlance on your x-pipe, is the car lowered??? , I own two sets of headers,mac mid leaths, slp new long tube headers,my car has been lowered about an inch from stock the long tube have great cerlance compared to the mids!!! aldo great grond clearance is great becuse slp did there home work as far as the collecters, and y-pipe goes, but still have to be very carfull of where and how I drive!! How about u and your X-pipe? I Read as performance goes, I read in gm high tech about x-pipe vs. y-pipes, aldo the x-pipes sound badass and perduce more hp but not much more than a y-pipe from what I read, x-pipe perduces 15 more hp than a y-pipe but the y-pipe perduces 10 more tq than x-pipe but you cant beat that sound I know I know!!
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 10-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Bonneville salt flats?

I live in the san francisco area dude

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock size TIRE is about 26" tall. Wheel is 16 or 17 inch from the factory.
    On my 17's I have 315/35/17's.
    On my 15's I gave 27x11.5x15's (those are 27" tall).

My top speed would be plenty.
    I just don't care. I see NO reason to endanger my life, my license, my job for a minute of high speed action.
    Besides....I prefer getting to 120MPH in under 12 seconds (at my altitude)....should be 128MPH or so under 11 seconds at sea level.

As for not going WOT in 5th or 6th....they are overdrive gears. Not designed for power. Same as 4th gear in the A4.

That chart is accurate!!!!
    Most don't have the power for 175MPH (but you have enough gearing)....it is like cutting through a wall at that speed.
    Agreed I was just kiddin it sound weired when you sayed my top speed was 124 , but i sure you have gone crazy once in a while in our cars and romp on it like smoeky and the bandit or bo and luke duke
    I agree about the overdrives, but I also know that my 3rd gear tops out at about 124 and if i wanted to go faster then 124 it gotta go in over drive
    And trust me on the whole risk and reward thing I agree with 1000% why do you think I am posting this top speed thing rather than finding out. And for me personaly I want the whole thing, good acxel, good top end , and pleantly of tq, and handleing that is want is most important to me, i cant want to do my supenion and get my LS7 and who knows I might just hit that 175mph?? hell I might go faster then that cus that chart gave me that 175 with a 6grand rev limt the ls7 revs to 7 grand mmmmmmm performance yummmmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 10-09-2010 at 12:48 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

The 1998 in my sig is so stock that folks comment on the fact that I still have helmholtz resonators in place (most folks switch to some sort of smooth lid) when I lift the hood at car shows. It's my daily driver.

The 2002 in my sig is not lowered and will not be as long as I have the current exhaust setup on it. While the headers, X-pipe and all the exhaust tubing sits up high (i.e., no ground clearance problems) the mufflers do not. I didn't want to hammer up the rear seat area for clearance so the mufflers hang down lower than anything else. The tips are angled out at a 45 deg towards the tires so they don't blow dust up. AAMOF, I had to lower the mufflers down 1/2" to gain clearance when I switched from the tranny mounted TA to the tunnel mounted one. In 3 years of having this setup I've only beefed them really bad on stuff a couple of times. Usually at high speed going down a dip in the road.

All this was done to get my car down the 1/4 mile track at Firebird Raceway (and sometimes SpeedWorld) here in PHX as fast as possible. The entire long block remains stock at this point.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Right on just wondering, sound like you got a badss dragster that x-pipe will staped on my stepup for what your saying with the stock ride hight I doing that with my y-pipe and 1 '' lower to the groud not worth for me to gain 15hp and as far as the sound there just of the hear the lion roar, rather than a thunder stom lol keep it gm or go ford!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

but i sure you have gone crazy once in a while in our cars and romp on it like smoeky and the bandit or bo and luke duke
    Actually no.
    I get much more thrill out of getting to 90-100 in no time at all than going 150MPH.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I can tell you with 3.73's and full bolt ons on a A4 135 to 140 was no problem but it was pretty high in the rpm range and my car shifts between 6 an 6100 rpm and I have no revlimiter on it just raised it to 7k so it won't get in the way. Have to see in a couple weeks if my stall changes my cars higher speed range at all.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I can tell you with 3.73's and full bolt ons on a A4 135 to 140 was no problem but it was pretty high in the rpm range and my car shifts between 6 an 6100 rpm and I have no revlimiter on it just raised it to 7k so it won't get in the way. Have to see in a couple weeks if my stall changes my cars higher speed range at all.
    do you have tituam value train and new rods ? becuse an stock ls1 cant survive with out it becareful if your running a stock vaule train, but sounds like you know what your doing and chances are you got all that stuff, i hope!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Bonneville salt flats?

Yes sir, that would have been my first suggestion.

I live in the san francisco area dude
    That's close enough. Not really that far of a drive. People come from all over the country for that
    They also run a top speed road rally through Nevada once a year with alot of open desert.

I'd suggest something of that nature if you really want to find out the limit of your car. Shucks, make a vacation out of it and take in some sites so it's not a trip for one purpose only.

Quite honestly I never understood the fascination with top speed and never had any interest in finding out on any of our cars. I'm more of a 1/4 mile guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Actually no.
    I get much more thrill out of getting to 90-100 in no time at all than going 150MPH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information