Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Time for a new battery

This is a discussion on Time for a new battery within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by KMdef9 LOL, it only cost you a $100!? No it was more like $130,,,but when you are ...

  1. #21
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    LOL, it only cost you a $100!?
    No it was more like $130,,,but when you are talking $100 what's another $30. I just round up or down.

  2. #22
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    130 seems low for an optima?

  3. #23
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    130 seems low for an optima?
    It was somewhere around that price, Sams had them onsale a year or so ago,,,so I bought one for my wifes jeep. It now resides in my blazer. Thought it would be better for offroading since they are supposed to substain more abuse.
    I've hated it from the start. Doesn't fit right, goofy case design, factory hold down brackets don't work, they give you cheap plastic snap clips for the base to make it square, that doesn't work either. I don't like how close together the terminal posts are, etc...I can go on and on. Dumbest design I've ever seen. I wouldn't care if it dropped dead tomorrow, I'd be glad to replace it.
    Give me a good ole' conventional battery that actually fits and I'm a happy camper.

  4. #24
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It was somewhere around that price, Sams had them onsale a year or so ago,,,so I bought one for my wifes jeep. It now resides in my blazer. Thought it would be better for offroading since they are supposed to substain more abuse.
    I've hated it from the start. Doesn't fit right, goofy case design, factory hold down brackets don't work, they give you cheap plastic snap clips for the base to make it square, that doesn't work either. I don't like how close together the terminal posts are, etc...I can go on and on. Dumbest design I've ever seen. I wouldn't care if it dropped dead tomorrow, I'd be glad to replace it.
    Give me a good ole' conventional battery that actually fits and I'm a happy camper.
    o well everyone has their own opinions... i favor optima!

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener Ontario Canada
    Posts
    8

    red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

    I bought my Optima red top a year ago and i went to fire up the car on the week-end and it was dead. Oh did i mention in has not been started since it was stores in Nov. Dam Canadian winters.

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk00 View Post
    I bought my Optima red top a year ago and i went to fire up the car on the week-end and it was dead. Oh did i mention in has not been started since it was stores in Nov. Dam Canadian winters.
    Want another one???

  7. #27
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk00 View Post
    I bought my Optima red top a year ago and i went to fire up the car on the week-end and it was dead. Oh did i mention in has not been started since it was stores in Nov. Dam Canadian winters.
    Was it disconnected from the car? and was it trickled? Explains a lot with those 2 things!

  8. #28
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Although I like the trickle chargers and use them on 3 cars right now that sit.....I never used to use those things before, and the cars would sit over long winters back in Ohio. Never once did I have a battery go dead. Always used and favored ACdelco.
    Those batteries lasted me as long as 11 years in those cars without so much as a trickle charger, and they always stayed hooked to the cars. Pretty sad if a battery can't sit for 3-4 months and not hold a charge on it's own.

  9. #29
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Although I like the trickle chargers and use them on 3 cars right now that sit.....I never used to use those things before, and the cars would sit over long winters back in Ohio. Never once did I have a battery go dead. Always used and favored ACdelco.
    Those batteries lasted me as long as 11 years in those cars without so much as a trickle charger, and they always stayed hooked to the cars. Pretty sad if a battery can't sit for 3-4 months and not hold a charge on it's own.
    I did that as well, but I would go out and start it after no more than 2 months. Never used a charger at first.

    The next year I would go out and charge with the "new fancy non-run of the mill" charger once a month, maybe.

    This is my first year trickle charging any of my batteries.

  10. #30
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I did that as well, but I would go out and start it after no more than 2 months. Never used a charger at first.

    The next year I would go out and charge with the "new fancy non-run of the mill" charger once a month, maybe.

    This is my first year trickle charging any of my batteries.
    Yep, I only recently bought trickle chargers to see how the batteries faired in the long haul.
    I've had 4 different ACdelco batteries last me 9 years or more (one of them 11 years) and never once used a trickle on them. Those cars would sit 4 month periods through winter.
    Since I moved out here in 08, I didn't drive my 02 SS camaro the first 2 years but maybe 3-4 times. It would sit for months at a time, never trickle charged it either. But it would always fire right up when I needed to move it around. Good ole' ACdelco.
    After reading alot of horror stories on these optima's, I'd hate to leave it sit. Luckily it's in something I drive daily. I'd trade it back for an ACdelco in a heartbeat though. Be nice to have a battery that actually fits correctly.

  11. #31
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Walmart battery 5 years now

  12. #32
    - STOCK ish - Sarge91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    779

    Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    I work at Advance Auto, and as you can guess, i see alot.. ''ALOT'' of batteries each day.. as of now i have a 75 series ''what fits in fbodys'' Optima Redtop..

    I like it so far, had it in for a few months, it hasn't died yet, ''left my lights on one morning for 2 hrs at work, and when i went back to my car at lunch about 2 hrs later it started right up.'' Before i had what we sell an Autocraft gold, it was fine also. ''not advertising lol'' But the most ones i see come for test/charging are freaking walmart batteries.. but i had great luck with my oem 8 year old Ac Delco, that came with the car..

    Just make sure w/e u get has a good warranty, high Cold Cranking amp, and like i said, has to be a 75 series battery.

    Good luck.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

  13. #33
    - STOCK ish - Sarge91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    779

    Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    (fyi i work at advance auto parts))
    Sup from store #9108, lol

  14. #34
    Member bryceslu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    467

    Black
    00 NHRA Formula

    I just had to replace mine as well...duralast that was 7.5 years old finally died over winter.

    According to consumer reports the duralast and walmart evermaxx batteries were very good batteries. Well the non exide Evermaxx batteries anyway.

  15. #35
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    Sup from store #9108, lol
    haha im alittle late but..... #1026(Ohio) and #6908(Michigan) haha i got 2 stores!!!

  16. #36
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Where can I get an AC Delco?

  17. #37
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Looks like I found a local retailer, these AC Delcos are like 100 bucks.

  18. #38
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Looks like I found a local retailer, these AC Delcos are like 100 bucks.
    Yep, I usually get the 7 year/720 cca ACdelcos and they generally run $100-$120. Everyone I've had though I get 10-11 years out of it

  19. #39
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    That's a hell of a battery then. Are those years on a trickle charger in the off season?

  20. #40
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    That's a hell of a battery then. Are those years on a trickle charger in the off season?
    Nope, they would sit all winter back in Ohio without chargers. I only started using trickle chargers a couple years ago.

    My oldest current ACdelco is in my 79 1 ton truck that also sits alot, and I don't have a trickle charger on that one either. ( I only have 3 and they are being used on other stuff) That battery is now going on 8 years old in the truck. It still spins that 454 over like it's brand new. I'm confident it will go another couple of years.

    As an example when living in Ohio, I run an ACdelco in my 454 chevelle, which sat every winter for 4-5 months out of the year. It was one of those old green eye acdelcos (remember those??) They aren't made anymore however. It was a seven year battery. After about the 6th year the green eye was gone. Supposed to be a sign that the battery is on it's last leg.
    Funny thing though, that battery lasted another 5 years with no green eye (no trickle charger either). On the 11th summer I noticed that it finally started loosing a charge if it sat more than a couple weeks. If it was running within a couple days it would always crank over. I used it that summer since I was driving it frequently it was okay. Never left me stuck. It never really just up and died on me, just started showing signs of being weak.
    I broke down that following winter and bought another 7 year ACdelco

    They just seem to last the longest for me. I've had 2 others that went 10 years or more, and the one in my truck currently is approaching that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Time for a new battery.
    By Naaman in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM
  2. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Time After Time
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
  3. Battery trade in dfw My Optima for your battery
    By Lucky 13 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:33 AM
  4. Long Time Listener 1st Time Caller
    By NSSTG8TR98 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
  5. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •