Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Time for a new battery

Well it looks like it's time. The battery was way down this morning, wouldn't crank the engine. Third time this winter but since it's 10 years old I guess it has an excuse.
    What are my options? This is my toy so it has a lot of down time sitting in my garage waiting for only nice days to come out and play. I was considering an Optima red top but recent sentiment seems to have shifted. I might consider a deep cycle too then I wouldn't have to keep it on a trickle charger.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

You are going to get a lot of answers so here is the first; I have had good experience with Interstate, Exide (their nascar select series) and Advanced Autoparts autocraft titanium line.
    Last edited by thearborbarber; 03-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    I was considering an Optima red top
    I really wouldn't.

I have a basic diehard, it's over 6+ years old, not one issue. My battery also gets proper maintenance as well.

Do you need a deep cycle? Running or plans for running alot of electronics?

I'd just go with and average well known name battery, interstate, diehard, etc. No need to speed ~150 on a battery that's reputation is dieing like the products they make now adays.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I would get a optima, depending on if you have a lot of audio, lights, and stuff like that I would go with a yellow top if you don’t have none of that then a red top would do just fine the blue tops are mostly used in the marine world for boats and stuff, I have a red top in mine the only thing is the terminal post are really close so be prepaid for a new scratches on your knuckles but that also goes with everything with these kinds of cars lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Well it looks like it's time. The battery was way down this morning, wouldn't crank the engine. Third time this winter but since it's 10 years old I guess it has an excuse.
    What are my options? This is my toy so it has a lot of down time sitting in my garage waiting for only nice days to come out and play. I was considering an Optima red top but recent sentiment seems to have shifted. I might consider a deep cycle too then I wouldn't have to keep it on a trickle charger.
    It won't matter if it's a deep cycle or not all batteries lose charge over time.
    A trickle charger is the best investment for cars that aren't driven all the time.
    As far as Batteries go I work for Interstate and would recommend one of their Megatron Plus series (MTP).
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've never seen a Optima last longer then 3 years. Seen a few only last one year. Nice looking batteries but they seem a little finicky on charging and maintenance.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Well I guess everyone has their own experience but before I had my T/A I had a 05 sierra with a lot of sound it in, to the point I needed another battery and a bigger alt, but I had a yellow top in that truck and never had problems with it dyeing or having to recharge or anything like that same with my friends truck now he has a red top and hasn’t had a problem with it, me and him have always said that no matter what vehicle we buy the first thing to be changed will be the battery to a optima. But I it’s man made so you know stuff happens

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I've never seen a Optima last longer then 3 years. Seen a few only last one year. Nice looking batteries but they seem a little finicky on charging and maintenance.
    I have one going on 5 years in my truck. Other than leaving my lights on and running it down, never any trouble. The reputation since then (and the price) seems to have taken a big slide.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have one going on 5 years in my truck. Other than leaving my lights on and running it down, never any trouble. The reputation since then (and the price) seems to have taken a big slide.
    Let me rephrase that. The Optimas I've seen fail is because car storage over winter. They don't seem to hold a charge well for extended periods of time (without maintenance) and are finicky to recharge. Alot of battery chargers will just fry a Optima trying to recharge it.
    In a daily driver situation, I'm sure they hold up better.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Optimas are great batteries we have one in our plow truck that fires that thing up like its a 4 cylinder... i just picked up an optima used at my work cause the guy said it didn't hold a charge, i charged it up and its been holding one for a couple of weeks great... any battery if you let them sit without a trickle it will die over time.... the problem with Optimas charging is if they are dead the charger needs to be "tricked" into charging it. the way that is done is to hook up another good battery to it in parallel. according to Optimas website these batteries should hold a full charge in a cool dry environment but i wouldn't test that... every battery should always be trickled if stored. i rarely ever see Optimas come back into work(fyi i work at advance auto parts). all of our batteries are good (except for the economy ones(beware)).... Optimas also have a 3 year free replacement if it dies in 3 years get a new one and hope it will last for another 3+? they are priced kinda high i think its $169.99 right now but IMO i wouldnt want a "green" battery in my red camaro.. but thats just me
    Last edited by My00Z28; 03-06-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    This is what I've heard as well.

Talked/know a few people who work at stores selling them and they say optima's get returned more often than all of their other batteries. This is also a recent thing, they used to make a quality product ~10 years ago, but things have changed since then.

Simply too much money and no good reason why they should be charging so much.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    This is what I've heard as well.

Talked/know a few people who work at stores selling them and they say optima's get returned more often than all of their other batteries. This is also a recent thing, they used to make a quality product ~10 years ago, but things have changed since then.

Simply too much money and no good reason why they should be charging so much.
    I wish I knew about this before I got mine. Don't get me wrong it has lasted 2 yrs so far (knock on wood).

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I wish I knew about this before I got mine. Don't get me wrong it has lasted 2 yrs so far (knock on wood).
    Just make sure you keep a good charge on it year round. Don't let it sit in the cold discharged, the worst thing that can happen by doing nothing.

I just think it's too much money for just a battery.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Just make sure you keep a good charge on it year round. Don't let it sit in the cold discharged, the worst thing that can happen by doing nothing.

Is DD.

sunburst orange
    2002 camaro ss

battery

i'd either go with a DEKA or Optima

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Is DD.
    As long as the alt stays good, you should be fine.

I can't stand my optima. Biggest piece of junk I've ever spent $100 on.

NBM
    99 TA

I have had a yellow top since '03 in my t/a and for the winter I just disconnect the battery terminals. I haven't had an issue with it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can't stand my optima. Biggest piece of junk I've ever spent $100 on.
    LOL, it only cost you a $100!?

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I have a couple of Optima's in my cars (my Firehawk and my wife's van) but honestly I think a good quality battery will do you right like many have said. There are other factors you should also consider like problems that will cause a parasitic draw or an alt that isn't charging properly which will kill a battery prematurely.

I have to also agree that trickle chargers are a great investment, especially for those of you who have to store your car over the winter. Optima actually recommends the "parallel" charging for deeply discharged batteries: http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...s.php#charging
    Last edited by bberretta; 03-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information