Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Time for a brake upgrade

This is a discussion on Time for a brake upgrade within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The Earl's site was about useless... how did you find the P/N?...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The Earl's site was about useless... how did you find the P/N?

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I remembered seeing them on speed engineerings website, did a quick search and found it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks. Looks like the Earl's kit applies to both traction control and non-traction control cars from what I read.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Man Jeff, you're making me want to spend some money!!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's only money... make more every day, right?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Valid point. On the flip side, you're supposed to make more than you spend, right?

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I'm a fan of HAWK HPS pads. Good bite, last a long time, the brake dust is a lot less than the cheapo parts store pads but not as "dustless" as ceramics. I've ran them on two different cars and I plan on putting them on the Z06 once I wear down the factory stuff.

For rotors I would go with blanks or slotted. Drilled or even dimpled will start to show small microfractures on the face of the rotors around the dimples or holes after some abuse. These can lead to stress cracks through the whole rotor. I had a drilled and slotted R1 concept rotor do this. It's not the manufactures fault. This is what drilled rotors do.

Make sure the rotors you choose are zinc coated, or dichromatic (sp?)coated or have some kind of other coating. If they don't they'll start to get surface rust anywhere the pads do not make contact.

Most aftermarket (cheaper) rotor companys get they're blanks from the same supplier. Good quality blanks. The price difference comes from proprietary coatings, drilling, slotting, dimpling processes, ect done after they get the rotors.

If you want to look at the cheaper rotor companies I would look at Brakemotive rotors. They sell all kinds of styles and coatings. They will work with what you want. They were selling a complete set of 4 uncoated blanks on Corvette Forum for about ~120shipped. They were for the HPDE track guys to thrash and the first guys to buy them at a discount and report back were pleased. They held up just as well as the NAPA top of the line Premium rotors and cost 1/4 of the price.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for the info, Capt. My original plan was to purchase slotted rotors, nothing that has been cross-drilled for the exact reason you stated. I just wasn't sure on a brand, but with the info posted in this thread I will be giving the R1 Concepts rotors a try. Most likely, I'll also get the Hawk HPS pads and see how the combo works.

Jon - I tried the Live Chat on R1's site to see what they said about where their rotors are cast and machined. Either Chat wasn't working last night... or no one was listening on the other end.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Yeah I have some cheap eBay drilled and slotted rotars. The car needed brakes when I bought it in 06, so I put those on and they are starting to crack around where the holes are drilled. Next set will be slotted only.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Where can I get these lines?
    From Cpops fathers garage would be my bet.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Too late, I got the last set. Haha

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you're just wanting to upgrade the stock hardware correct? Not go with bigger brakes right? I'm telling you Jeff....I've had nothing but good experiences with R1 concepts from ebay and everyone I know that has bought those rotors have nothing but good things to say. As far as pads I just run nice quality pads like wagner or bendix on my cars and have no complaints. I have bendix pads and r1 rotors on the firebird and have a ton of passes on them with no issues. It's just hard for me to justify the extra money for hawk and ebc stuff when I can get stuff that works great cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    I'm a fan of HAWK HPS pads. Good bite, last a long time, the brake dust is a lot less than the cheapo parts store pads but not as "dustless" as ceramics. I've ran them on two different cars and I plan on putting them on the Z06 once I wear down the factory stuff.

For rotors I would go with blanks or slotted. Drilled or even dimpled will start to show small microfractures on the face of the rotors around the dimples or holes after some abuse. These can lead to stress cracks through the whole rotor. I had a drilled and slotted R1 concept rotor do this. It's not the manufactures fault. This is what drilled rotors do.

Make sure the rotors you choose are zinc coated, or dichromatic (sp?)coated or have some kind of other coating. If they don't they'll start to get surface rust anywhere the pads do not make contact.

Most aftermarket (cheaper) rotor companys get they're blanks from the same supplier. Good quality blanks. The price difference comes from proprietary coatings, drilling, slotting, dimpling processes, ect done after they get the rotors.

If you want to look at the cheaper rotor companies I would look at Brakemotive rotors. They sell all kinds of styles and coatings. They will work with what you want. They were selling a complete set of 4 uncoated blanks on Corvette Forum for about ~120shipped. They were for the HPDE track guys to thrash and the first guys to buy them at a discount and report back were pleased. They held up just as well as the NAPA top of the line Premium rotors and cost 1/4 of the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Capt. My original plan was to purchase slotted rotors, nothing that has been cross-drilled for the exact reason you stated. I just wasn't sure on a brand, but with the info posted in this thread I will be giving the R1 Concepts rotors a try. Most likely, I'll also get the Hawk HPS pads and see how the combo works.

Jon - I tried the Live Chat on R1's site to see what they said about where their rotors are cast and machined. Either Chat wasn't working last night... or no one was listening on the other end.

^^^Great info

It's amazing what I learn on this site.

Navy Blue Metallic

How long do the Hawks last?

The current ones I got I'm really hating. I feel like it takes longer to stop and the break dust

Makes clean up a mofo....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If I remember, I might try calling tomorrow. I'm interested now. I wouldn't be surprised if the raw rotor was from offshore and then they machined them here in the states. I thought I remember seeing that they were machined here though.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How long do the Hawks last?

The current ones I got I'm really hating. I feel like it takes longer to stop and the break dust

Makes clean up a mofo....
    Which Hawk Pads did you get? Did you bed them correctly when they were first installed? My HPS pads on my first car lasted about 2 years, 25k miles before the front got to the wear indicators. The Trans Am HPS pads lasted 3 years/30k miles and it still had plenty of meat left when I sold the car. I don't drive like a grandma but I don't emergency stop at every stop light. The pads saw plenty quick slow downs after 120-130mph highway pulls about every other weekend.

White
    1998 Z28

Are the ceramic pads that come with the R1 concepts package on ebay any good?

[FRONT+REAR] 4 ELINE DIAMOND SLOTTED PERFORMANCE BRAKE ROTORS +8 CERAMIC PADS | eBay

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    Which Hawk Pads did you get? Did you bed them correctly when they were first installed? My HPS pads on my first car lasted about 2 years, 25k miles before the front got to the wear indicators. The Trans Am HPS pads lasted 3 years/30k miles and it still had plenty of meat left when I sold the car. I don't drive like a grandma but I don't emergency stop at every stop light. The pads saw plenty quick slow downs after 120-130mph highway pulls about every other weekend.

I see my post error, I currently do not have Hawk pads. I'm using pads from O'Rielly's, can't remember the name I just know they are ceramic.

I'm looking for better pads. That is why I asked about Hawks.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-09-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have never tried ceramic pads on any of our cars. Anyone?

Navy Blue Metallic

Not bad but like I said above I'm not liking the current ones I've got. I wish I remember what brand

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I have the Monroe ceramics all the way around on the Tahoe, I didn't notice a difference with or without them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information