red
    2002 z28

ticking sound, help!

ok so i am new to the LS1 world, so let me start off by saying hello to everyone!
    i have pacesetter LT's with loudmouth exhaust, slp MAF & Cold-Air Induction with slp lid, on my 02 Z28
    my problem is that i can hear a ticking sound, but the sound is only when under a load with part throttle. it sounds like its coming from the drivers side of the motor.. it kinda sounds like a exhaust leak but the motor sounds great when revved in park. i can only hear the ticking when its under a load. honestly with the loudmouth i realy cant tell if the sound is there at full WOT or throttle. i dont think it is there at full throttle but who knows the loudmouth is a great sound but way way loud!
    does someone have ANY ideas of what i need to look for or have checked out??

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

LS1's have normal piston slap that makes a little rattle noise. That could be the noise you hear.

red
    2002 z28

my car does have the wonderful piston slap but it stops after she is warmed up.. could it realy still slap under a load with light throttle taps?

Artic White
    2002 Z28

I had the exact same problem with my Ws6. MAKE SURE all the header bolts are TIGHT , ALL the plug wires are tight, and if that doesnt work it might be internal.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

LS1's are known for having noisy lifters. They have a distinct tick, which can be heard most noticeably in the front driver's side of the engine.

If the tick is very loud, like if you can hear it from inside the car and with the hood closed, then you might have another issue. A very common thing is bent pushrods. I checked mine today, and found out that they are bent. Its less common with an automatic, but still possible.

red
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my Ws6. MAKE SURE all the header bolts are TIGHT , ALL the plug wires are tight, and if that doesnt work it might be internal.
    well i just got done making sure everything was tight. all the wires and plugs were good. but when i started to make sure all the header bolts were tight i was shocked to find that i was able to tighten every bolt 2-5 turns before they got snug.
    i dont know if it fixed the problem or not yet. it is raining and i dont like taking the car out in the rain..

Thread Information