Thread: Throttle body

Pewter
    '00 SS

Throttle body

With the LS1 intake, how big of a TB can I put on and what else would need to be done?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have been doing some reading and there are some vendors who say 80mm is the best to go with a factory intake. Some here will suggest an LS6 intake with an 80mm throttle body.

Pewter
    '00 SS

my mechanic has been building camaro's for awhile now and he says that there is no need for the ls6 intake until you get up to the 500hp range. does that sound real?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    my mechanic has been building camaro's for awhile now and he says that there is no need for the ls6 intake until you get up to the 500hp range. does that sound real?
    Terrible info? I say a ls6 intake would be a restriction at 500 hp or more. It a great mod for bolt on cars. I am going off RWHP. But either way it gains on a stock engine. also the stock TB is 78 mm and dont think a 80mm is going to be a worth while investment. A ported stock thorottle body is just fine.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    Terrible info? I say a ls6 intake would be a restriction at 500 hp or more. It a great mod for bolt on cars. I am going off RWHP. But either way it gains on a stock engine. also the stock TB is 78 mm and dont think a 80mm is going to be a worth while investment. A ported stock thorottle body is just fine.
    so you are saying to only get the ls6 intake and dont worry about a tb

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

so you are saying to only get the ls6 intake and dont worry about a tb
    I would say yes. But you can get your stock throttle body ported. I got mine done by shaner. Think it was S2performance.net He did great work. notice throttle response and thats about it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I would say yes. But you can get your stock throttle body ported. I got mine done by shaner. Think it was S2performance.com He did great work. notice throttle response and thats about it.
    what restrictions comes with an ls6 intake and ported throttle body? when would it need to be changed? i am looking to eventually have an all motor close to 450 or 500hp as i can. it's not a dd but i do drive it sometimes. in other words its a toy. i live in hawaii so ther is no track to runit on on this island but when i move back to tx there will be but that doesnt mean it will be strictly a track car. lot of info but hope you can give me some direction

Pewter
    '00 SS

what restrictions comes with an ls6 intake and ported throttle body? when would it need to be changed? i am looking to eventually have an all motor close to 450 or 500hp as i can. it's not a dd but i do drive it sometimes. in other words its a toy. i live in hawaii so ther is no track to runit on on this island but when i move back to tx there will be but that doesnt mean it will be strictly a track car. lot of info but hope you can give me some direction
    by when to be changed i mean with what mods will cause it to have to be changed

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

If and when you would go bigger cam and heads then a Fast intake will proved more power over a ls6 intake. You be fine at those power level with a ls6 intake. unless you are trying to get every last bit out. then you step up to a fast 102 intake.

Pewter
    '00 SS

no, i dont wanna do the whole run around thing. i want to get now what im gonna have forever. i dont wanna keep changing stuff around. with that said, what should i go after now? cam, heads, intake? is the fast intake just an intake, or is it for the nitrous setup? when do i need a new rear end, transmission, fuel (everything)? im still a little new to all of this, so please help me out

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I think theres a 85mm made, that comes with a reducing plate, but don't know how much it would even benefit a ls6 intake.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

no, i dont wanna do the whole run around thing. i want to get now what im gonna have forever. i dont wanna keep changing stuff around. with that said, what should i go after now? cam, heads, intake? is the fast intake just an intake, or is it for the nitrous setup? when do i need a new rear end, transmission, fuel (everything)? im still a little new to all of this, so please help me out
    What is your budget? Cuz that would help, can spend alot of money on heads,cam,intake set up. Also What are your goals of the car?

Pewter
    '00 SS

What is your budget? Cuz that would help, can spend alot of money on heads,cam,intake set up. Also What are your goals of the car?
    goals are stated earlier in the post, not worried about a budget just cant get it all at once.

Pewter
    '00 SS

sorry maybe the goals where on another post. here they are; i am looking to be around the 450-500rwhp range. as of now i am at 308rwhp. very few mods include; headers, exhaust, smooth bellow, lid, and all the frame connecting stuff

HAVE NOT GOT IT TUNED ALTHOUGH MY MECHANIC TELLS ME IT HAS A PROGRAMMED. again because i am new to this, i dont really know the difference between program and a tune

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

With that kind of power goal, you'll need heads and cam eventually or forced induction, so you may as well just buy a 102mm tb/intake from fast.

The package is 1,200 from TSP.

Yes, you can do 500rwhp with the LS6 intake, but if you plan on upgrading from the LS6, this would probably be the package you want.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    With that kind of power goal, you'll need heads and cam eventually or forced induction, so you may as well just buy a 102mm tb/intake from fast.

The package is 1,200 from TSP.
    i lokked into that package last nigt. what else to go along with that?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Depends on the driveability of the car you want. Auto or manual?

You'll need a lot more stuff to reach 500rwhp, or just a procharger with fuel upgrades I suppose.

What you looking to do exactly?

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Depends on the driveability of the car you want. Auto or manual?

You'll need a lot more stuff to reach 500rwhp, or just a procharger with fuel upgrades I suppose.

What you looking to do exactly?
    automatic, wanna stay as much motor as i can, street car (occasional track visits), weekend driver, overall just a toy
    i still want to be ableto drive it around and not use half a tank of gas or more in a small cruise

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Don't forget a 12 bolt rear end. The stock 10 bolt won't last long with all those new mods.

NBM
    99 TA

It will be hard to hit those numbers in an auto. I have a stalled a4 with big wheels and put down 390s to the wheels on a load-bearing dyno (dynojets will read higher). The tuner also thought I would easily be in the low 400s if I had smaller wheels.
    With that being said, I went with a LS6 intake initially and then ended up buying a ported fast 92/92 set-up to try and get some more power. So if your end goal is those hp numbers, I would just save up for a Fast now and buy it once. For the 102, you will need new fuel rails, another $300 (the fast 92 and 90 are able to use stock fuel rails).
    Also already mentioned, you will need a new rearend, mine went out right after I put the H&C in, I ended up going with a moser 12 bolt with some 3.73 gears.
    My transmission also went out, so got that rebuilt with a yank3600 stall.
    If I were to do it over again, I would have done the drivetrain upgrades first, then upgrade the motor.
    If you are just looking for numbers, you should get a manual, if you want to get faster acceleration, get the stall and gears first (low dyno numbers, but faster time slips).

Also dont forget the suspension upgrades (relocation brackets, torque arm, lower control arms all help with launching) as well as upgrades to go with the H&C (fuel injectors, oil pump, timing chain, lifters - while not all necessary, smart insurance moves to keep the engine lasting longer).
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 02-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Thread Information