Black
    2000 Trans Am

Threw codes 157 and 137 after plug and wire install

I just installed msd wires and ac delco iridium plugs. I drove the car for a day and WOW my car felt better than new. I had great pickup and I felt like I got some of my torque back. I took the car out to the highway and dropped it into 4th gear and ran it up to 100 mph. As I hit 100 the check engine light came on. The car still ran fine but I decided to check the code. (Btw this was the first code I ever got on my Trans Am) I got p0137 and p0157. They are 02 sensor codes but doing some research I heard it could be the Air tube that goes to the headers. I took this off during my plug install and possibly the gasket went bad. I also have read that my MAF sensor could have some dirt on the solenoid. I did the plugs and wires as diligently as I could. I loosened the passenger's side coil pack like installuniversity suggested and had to move around some hoses. Could this be my problem? The car still runs great and there is no lag so I am not sure if I should clear the code and go. I only drive the car approx 1500 miles a year and it has always been healthy. I doubt the plugs or wires are bad. The install went really well except for the struggle to reach plug #8 and get the wire and plug in.

There is no sparks from the wires so I believe I got them all in.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more info if necessary.

Thanks,
    Ed

2000 Trans Am Ws6

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Well The codes are for both aft cat sensors. How many miles are on the car? I would try resetting the code's and driving it a bit to see if they return.
    Did you re-connect all hoses and connections? Good and tight? Any leaks?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

red
    1998 camaro z28

Thumbs up I Agree

Its also could be unstable fuel if it sets for a month. and it did'nt trip right away be cause your O2 sen. dont operate till thay reach 600 deg. I had that happen, and I reseted the codes and refueled and it has'nt came on for O2 sen. scines,I Agree with sunsetorangess. Reset It.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks guys. The car has 45,000 miles on it. I think I abused it right away to see how the car would perform with the plug changes. I believe everything is tight but I did have to do a lot bending here and there. The Air tube going to the headers is the only spot I can think of that would not be sealed. This is because the gasket that goes onto the header was sort of melted.

What does refueling do? I know the engine light came on when my temperature in the car got high. The needle moved a hair over the 210 mark. I was driving it very hard. More so than normal. Like I said before I usually take it easy with the car and just drive it once a month. The car felt so good after the plug change that I wanted to see what it could do.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Any follow up guys?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you cleared the code to see if it comes back? Since you disturbed the AIR hoses I would take a real good look at those and make sure there's no leaks. I would also make sure there's no other exhaust leaks further ddwnstream closer to the rear O2's. Seems kinda odd you would throw both at the same time like that. No other problems with the car? No lean codes or anything like that?

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

short in the wiring for those two down stream o2 circuits...start back tracking looking for wiring you may have damaged during the plug -wire install.Its also possible you broke a ground someplace at the back of the engine?Its odd both o2s read low like this.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's help. I tightened the AIR tubes that attach to the headers, I made sure there were no crimps as well. I definitely needed to torque things down a little bit better. I also took some electronic cleaning spray and cleaned my MAF. I cleared the codes and drove the car for a while, pretty hard, and all is well. Car runs great. I'll see if it comes back on but I think its good to go. Overall I would highly recommend the AC delco Iridiums and MSD wires. The red wires look great in the engine and my car feels better than the day I bought it. Use Install University's instructions. It is a hard job but it can be done!

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

HI where did u get ur msd wires at ill try

white
    2002 z28

thats what happen to my first o2 code popping up, right after i did a hard pass..hmm

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by camaross19973 View Post
    HI where did u get ur msd wires at ill try
    Thunder Racing carries MSD wires. I've bought a few sets through them. Click on "sponsors" at the top.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I got mine from Advanced Auto Parts. Make sure you tigthen down everything you take off. Engine runs fantastic after doing this install.

Thread Information