Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

A thousand questions (with pic links)

So Im back this time with underbody pictures i did my best to resize them from the huge pixles my camera uses.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/Silenttrouble/

go to that link to see all the pics of my car there are 2 pages of them!

So take a look at pic 1 and pic 6 (directly under 1) For my O2 sensor shots that i had questions about.

Also is it me or is there an unusual amount of rust for a car with only 53k miles on it?

What is that red bar running front to back on both the sides of the underbody. Its welded into the frame it looks like

Also The suspension looks different than a lot of other ones I have seen.

It jumps like a bat out of hell every time i hit a bump and if im corner with even a small bump it feels as though im gunna bounce off the road... someone said something about control arms... maybe take a look at em all and let me know what you think...

black
    97 camaro

The red bar look's like subframes from what i could see?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sub frame connectors, stock control arms, stock rear shocks, fronts look different than stock( at least color wise), stock torque arm and plenty of dirt and rust. Probably seen it's fair share of salty roads and has been daily driven. Just comes with the territory. The sub frames will make the car more rigid which is probably why it's jumping over bumps.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Like said above, those are sub-frame connectors, as far as the rust issue, its probly seen alot of salt and nasty roads in its lifetime.
    Looks like someone may have replaced or spliced the wiring harness. thats why there are two 02 sensor plugs.
    May want to look into some new shocks...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

So... that was super helpful from orion and J !

Im pretty sure this car has been lowered. So if those are stock shocks shouldn't they have been replaced? The 2nd page has pics of the car might be able to tell if it has been or not.

Im really having problems with traction a lot. Is there any recommendations here? What are the benefits of updating the suspension over the stock i currently have now? etc

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Is there a way to confirm its been lowered and if thats the case can the stock control arms be part of the problem as why I'm having problems

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Like said above, it sure looks like stock springs and rear shocks. It's possible that they cut the stock springs to lower it, but kind of doubtful. I would definitely replace those shocks first and see how it goes from there.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Any suggestions on where to buy shocks or should i just go down and buy locally?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

I'm amazed at the amount of rust under and crud in the engine bay--where did the car come from??

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Start off replacing the shocks. If you have traction control turn it off. Those wires for the o2 sensors should be moved or the hole that they are going through should have something to protect them from gettting cut.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

front shocks look like kybs...i would bet your suspension is very unbalanced...

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

I am amazed too.. Its only got 53k miles I drive it in indiana, bought it in kentucky. car originated in Canada. Its been around I guess. Id like to clean it up a bit, but i don't think its too easy to clean rust... as for the engine compartment whats the best way to clean it? I doubt taking a car wash hose to your engine is really a good idea

as for the suspension I dont know. Ive never had an Fbody or other sports car for that matter to compare to how it should feel. I know its stiff as a board and on corners if i hit even a small bump feels like the car jumps off the road its pretty severe. I think im going to try to check out teh shocks and see if they are bad this weekend

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

As far as the suspension it depends on what you plan on using the car for Ie Daily driver, little track time etc etc...
    who knows what previous owner did or didnt do to the vehicle. i would also start with a full tune up...
    Detailing the engine:
    1. Make sure engine is cool
    2. Get a good mild degreaser, Spray the engine and bay with water from a garden hose is fine. Then spray on the degreaser, let it soak a while. Avoid spraying mass amounts of water on the computer.. you can get it wet just dont soak it.
    3. You may have to get those tough areas with a rag or random brushes.
    4. spray off the engine and repeat if required.
    5. After its squeaky clean, i would use a engine "detailer" i personaly use CD2 engine detailer.
    Then you just have to maintain the clean factor.
    Everyone has there own method but this one works for me... heres a quick pic
    Last edited by sunsetorangess; 05-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

to tell if lowered, find another one, and measure from the top of tire to wheel opening, then yours... QA1 Shocks FTW... a quick wipe w/ some 220grit sandpaper, and a can of flat black spraypaint used carefully could delete the rusty look for you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I can't believe how rusty it is either for only 53k. What's with all the wires hanging down too?

You can see pictures of mine underneath here, 95k miles:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109763

As for cleaning your engine bay, I would recommend using simple green (degreaser) first, then cd2 (engine detailer). You can see how it turned out for me - I only cleaned half the bay as a test:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109630

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

It doesn't look lowered to me. But that rust has Ol' Canada written all over it! I've seen less rust on cars with 4 times that mileage from the same era.

red
    1999 trans am convert

If you click full size on pic# one, I believe what we are looking at is an O2 simulator( the rectangular box thing).If you cut the wire tie to let the wires hang down I think what you will see is the wires coming out of the O2 sensor(with the red sheth covering) end in that unconnected plug.Maybe a cat went bad and someone threw that in or maybe gutted the cats.
    The exhaust pipes seem to hang down a little and if car is lowered you would probably scrape everywhere LOL
    What part of Indiana you in?

Thread Information