Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thirty Days And Running (Not)

I have had my '01 Z28 about a month now and this is what's up so far.
    FIRST WEEK - I was hauling ass...and I liked it...alot!
    SECOND WEEK - finally got the SLP lid to seat properly...I felt good about that. I was still hauling ass...felt even better about that.
    THIRD WEEK - I bought some royal purple that was on sell at the parts shop. Also got a K&N oil filter and air filter. Took the car to the shop to have it changed and check the car out personaly under the rack...it looked good headers, cat-back with a cut-out. Found a pinion seal leak had that replaced along with everything else. Left the shop and started hauling ass again.
    FOURTH WEEK- heard a whiney, humming noise from the rear end. Took it back to the shop and was told it could be the axle bearings. Some people here think the dingbat tightened the pinion nut too tight and ruined my pinion bearing...I do too. I'm gonna find out Mon. for sure.
    Now, I'm sitting on my ass... later.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just a FYI -- the pinion seals tend to weep in the stock rears. Unless it is a drip or better you may be better off leaving it alone. Lots of members have posted about replacing the seals and within a short period of time the weep is back. Mine weeps and I have no plans to fix it.

Or... you can just go with a 9" and be done with it.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

The seal that was replaced was new. It wasn't seated or flush at the top. The dealership I bought it from told me that they had just replaced the rear end...although it was used. I can't really drive it now with the noise it's making. I'm worried that I'll really screw up. If I have to pay for the repairs the underdrive puley I want to install will be on hold for a couple months. That really sucks. Of course, it might not be the mech.'s fault. I gotta confirm it first.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
    The seal that was replaced was new. It wasn't seated or flush at the top. The dealership I bought it from told me that they had just replaced the rear end...although it was used. I can't really drive it now with the noise it's making. I'm worried that I'll really screw up. If I have to pay for the repairs the underdrive puley I want to install will be on hold for a couple months. That really sucks. Of course, it might not be the mech.'s fault. I gotta confirm it first.
    well, you know how that goes. I can almost guarantee they're going to tell you it wasn't their fault.....whether it actually was or not. The rears in these cars leave a lot to be desired. I would start banking some coin now for a 12 bolt or 9" down the road.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I'll probably chalk it up as a lesson learned if that's the case. I heard the twelve bolt and 9" are pretty expensive. What's a good estimate for that? I no absolutely nothing about the rear end of the camaro's, but from some of the threads I've read, it seems that the 10 bolt won't hold up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think I paid 2600 for mine shipped to my door.

Thread Information