mild84

thinking of buying a 99 z

A guy in my local car club is selling his hugger orange 99 z-28. It has most of the suspension mods (phb, sub-frame con, lca's, relocation brackets, torque arm, ext) it has a lid, slp long tubes with true duels, tuned, aluminum flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, 4.10's, ext. The car has gone 12.98 at the las vegas track. it only has 455xx miles. is there anything specific i should watch out with this year/model car? Any info would be grately appreciated!

Ryan

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

I would go for it, first off Hugger Orange is a rare color and 2nd off the mileage is low and if the car is kept up in good condition nothing should be wrong with the car. How much is he asking for the car?

mild84
    i went for a test drive today with him, and man that car can move!!! the only thing i don't like is he said it has "motive" 4.10's in it. i think that is the name of the company? and they wine like an big block with an 8.71 on it. he said he talk to the company and asked why they wine so bad, and they told him that it was because they were cut more argessive then stock ones. does this sound right???? and he is asking 12,000 for it. i figure it is worth it?

http://www.lvfbody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19843 here is a link to pictures of it. Beautiful car with only a few scratchs here and there.

mild84
    no feedback?????

Don't know about the gear whine, I swapped my 2.73 rear for a complete 3.42out of an M6 car. Maybe someone w/motive gears will chime in. Positive - you know the seller, has mods you'd probably want to do later, only negative thing I can think of about the '99 cars is the gauge sweep and odo resetting to zero when battery voltage is low, sometimes resulting in a cluster swap. Then there's the "normal" things that can go wrong like window motors, etc. If you like the car, and the price is right go for it.

mild84
    I love the car, and i know i could probably get one cheaper. but by the time I get all the same mods, which I would do, I'd be into it 15-16000. Plus you don't find alot of hugger orange ones. And it just so hapens that my favorite 4th gen is a hugger orange z with the body kit this one has on it. The one thing i wish it had, would be an ss hood.

fguy1998
    i'd definitely do it. u can always buy the hood later.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

About the gears, I had to rebuild my rearend (5000 lbs of soccer-mom SUV putting you into a curb will bend an axle housing at 70 on the highway ). Once i got it all put back together, i noticed some whine, but only when the car was in gear and there was no throttle input. I was told that sometimes the new bearings won't line up exactly sometimes, so they make a little noise.

It would make sense though, since a lot of real high power handling transmissions make a lot more noise (whining, grinding, etc)

mild84
    This wine is weird though, if you are driving normal it almost sounds like 35" mud tires at 70 mph, that kind of wine, but when you open it up, it goes away! I had an old 4.11 gear in my 84 z that started going bad but it was an uneven wine, like hearing nascars go by. He has raced it quite a few times with the 4.10's and said it had never got any worst???? He also took it to santa barbra about 4 months ago, with the 4.10's. I think it will be alright?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

are you sure the whine is going away, and not just being drowned out by engine noise? what you're describing seems really weird, because normally if gears are going to make noise, its when they are under a load, in my experience

mild84
    it could be that the engine is drowning out the noise. the noise is consistant.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

if you stay on WOT all the time, you'll never hear the whine.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

my buddys 00 ws6 started to make kind of a growling noise in the rearend. he just got tired of it and replace the differential, it went away.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

talked to my mechanic friend today and he said as the bearing go, the gears won't mesh up right, so instead of engaging smoothly, the teeth kinda smack against eachother. long story short, it is probably some of the bearings, nothing else will usually just go bad like that. other things in the rear end will usually just break.

Thread Information