Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    99 Z28 04 Corvette

thinking about purchasing a vette

Soo I found an 04 corvette I like and seems to me its a good deal. Has several things done to it. supercharger, fast intake n tb, headers, exhaust and so on. Anyyyway Ive been getting pretty excited about it, my girlfriend showed it to her dad.. he has a 2008 corvette. He sent me an email saying the fast intakes are garbage, and it has cheap headers.. pretty much talking me out of it. The car only has about 40k miles and priced slightly over 20 grand. This sound like a good deal?? Its like 5 hours away from me so I havent seen it in person but it looks amazing in pics.. I arranged to check it out on saturday. Anything I should look out for?? and Ive never heard of problems with fast intakes. He said their lousy design causes pcm issues. Id like to know what everyone thinks and what I should look out for. Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

get a new gf because her dad is full of it. The fast intakes are the best flowing intakes on the market. Sure he's not talking about the throttle body? What brand are the headers? I'm not aware of a "cheap" header made for the vettes. You have to really be careful when getting opinions on cars from people. My experience has been that there are only a couple of people I would actually take advice from. Best to do some reading and educate yourself instead of relying on somene else who might not know anymore than you do.
    I'm not sure what the value is of an 04 but 20ish doesn't sound bad to me. The car is worth what you're willing to pay for it really. The intake and headers alone are probably $2k in mods pretty easy. At least another $5k for the supercharger. I would look that car over carefully though and make sure it wasn't beat on although the LSx motors can take a beating and still be rock solid.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

the reason he is saying the fast intake is junk is due to some people running a lot of boost through them and having them break apart... i don't think you'll have a problem with it... get that vette!!!

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get a new gf because her dad is full of it. The fast intakes are the best flowing intakes on the market. Sure he's not talking about the throttle body? What brand are the headers? I'm not aware of a "cheap" header made for the vettes. You have to really be careful when getting opinions on cars from people. My experience has been that there are only a couple of people I would actually take advice from. Best to do some reading and educate yourself instead of relying on somene else who might not know anymore than you do.
    I'm not sure what the value is of an 04 but 20ish doesn't sound bad to me. The car is worth what you're willing to pay for it really. The intake and headers alone are probably $2k in mods pretty easy. At least another $5k for the supercharger. I would look that car over carefully though and make sure it wasn't beat on although the LSx motors can take a beating and still be rock solid.
    I thought the 2004 Corvettes had an LT1 engine? LS1 went into production in 2007 right?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    I thought the 2004 Corvettes had an LT1 engine? LS1 went into production in 2007 right?
    no... 1997 was the first year of ls1 in a vette... 1998 was the first year of ls1 in a f-body... 2004 i think was the last year for ls1 in the vette...

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Yea he told me he showed his "tuner" the car on the website. but he also told me before this corvette he currently has he had an 02 ss and after putting a cam in it and letting this guy tune it he burned a piston.. so this guy doesnt sound too smart to me. I know it could be beat on but my camaro has a 170k and it sees wot multiple times when i drive it.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

As Spaz said most guys with boost run a LS6 IM because the 3 piece design sometimes does not seal as well as a 1 piece LS6. Also the MAP sensor doesn't fit real good sometimes and you have to make sure it seals too. I have had no problem with my old 90/90

Find out who did the work on it and if you are comfortable they knew what they were doing go for it.

Stock bottom end? How much boost is it pushing?

99 Z28 04 Corvette

7lbs of boost. Place in florida did the work. Corvette Masters is the name of the shop. Ive read that 8lbs is about the max on a stock bottom end. This car also has 20x10.5s on the rear and 19s in front. carbon fiber hood painted to match. probably more invested into this car than Im paying for it.

IBM
    04 GTO

If the fast intakes are junk then why would they be $800+ you pay for what you get lol and after looking at the pic you better get that SOB so I can take a ride in it hahahaha!!!!

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Yea I bought it.. It's ridiculously fast. and has about 30 grand in receipts.. I will try and get some pics up

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    Yea I bought it.. It's ridiculously fast. and has about 30 grand in receipts.. I will try and get some pics up
    Sweeeeeeeeeet!!! Congrats!! Now go show gf's daddy how fast it is and hurry and put some pics up!

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Best I can do now. This is a pic from the dealership http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=noztra&s=4 Let me know if that works

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I was gonna say that it sounds like a good deal..how much did you pay for it? sounds sweet man. Wish I could see pics, but I am at work.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

22k is what I paid. Oh and I have the receipt for the headers. The so called "cheap headers" are borla $1200.. real cheap lol..

IBM
    04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Sweeeeeeeeeet!!! Congrats!! Now go show gf's daddy how fast it is and hurry and put some pics up!

I'm with this guy lmao ^^^^^^^

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

nice car man. i seriously considered a vette before i got my ta. thats sexy though. lets see more pics

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Nice car man! I'll pass along something that was said to me when I picked mine up last year.

"Good luck getting the smile off your face while your driving it"

Takes a while...

Heres a pic of mine
    http://www.autotrix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Nice z06. Im still getting used to the car. So much more power than my z28

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Thanks!

Yeah the way the power is distributed really makes driving fun. Not to mention the handling difference.

I always was the F-Body owner who asked why would I ever buy a vette when I can get an F-Body cheaper and mod it.

Now that I own a vette, the F-Bodies I own are no comparison. The best car purchase I have made so far.

Thread Information