Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thinking about an LS3

This is a discussion on Thinking about an LS3 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; A side question since you kinda brought it up......on which side should I have a O2 bung welded on my ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

A side question since you kinda brought it up......on which side should I have a O2 bung welded on my headers for a wide band? Since I'll be pulling the block next week I want to take the header to the exhaust shop and have it done.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    A side question since you kinda brought it up......on which side should I have a O2 bung welded on my headers for a wide band? Since I'll be pulling the block next week I want to take the header to the exhaust shop and have it done.
    Drivers side. My Kooks came with it done and that is the side it came on.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

You can read and make accurate adjustments from either side. For me the driver side on the outside of the pipe makes sense because I use a portable wideband that I take from car to car. I like to weld the bung there so I can simply lay down quickly, screw in the 02 sensor and run the wire right into the driver window.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Talked to Sean about the tune. Nic recommends MAF tuning for my set up, so I'll just go with that.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'll probably be picking up my car mid or late January. Once I do, there are some things that I think she'll need in order to achieve an overall balanced build.

Of course, a 12-bolt is in order, but those are somewhat cost prohibitive... would take me a little while to save up for one.

I'm also thinking that she'll need stronger brakes (which I am still researching, will post questions in an appropriate thread), a beefed up transmission (M6), and possibly a torque-arm/cross-member.

Current supporting mods include:
    Strano Sway Bars
    Strano Springs
    Koni (front)/Bilstien (rear) shocks
    2-point Subframe connectors
    Strut Tower Brace
    Adjustable Panhard bar
    LCAs (Rod-ends... will probably switch to a poly/roto combo)
    LS7 clutch
    LS2 Timing Chain
    Melling Oil Pump

I'm hoping that if I baby the rear end (3.42s), it will last me long enough to save up for one. Assuming it does, does everyone agree that brakes should be the next mod? I worry that relocating the torque-arm would put additional stress on the rear end (?).

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Car is done. Will be picking it up later this week. Kinda nervous, to be honest....
    SMWS6TA likes this.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Car is done. Will be picking it up later this week. Kinda nervous, to be honest....
    So...what's the verdict on your ride!? How's the new power? I know Nicd does a great job tuning these cars as he's tuned mine previously. ..let us know...I'm in AZ as well..

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Personally I love the SD tunes. I tuned all my LS stuff in SD and ditched the (sometimes troublesome) MAF. I love the snappier throttle response that an SD tune provides, and I also like to dictate the AFR myself, finding it much easier to run a leaner and much more steady AFR in cruise mode, without the AFR hunting around all the time like it does with the MAF. The results were much more consistent gas mileage on every fillup and a gain of 1-2 mpg. I also liked the fact that I can also control the WOT AFR consistently with repeatable results every time.
    With the MAF tune, If the MAF and 02's are switching back and forth all the time (and they always do to some degree) and you wack the throttle, what ever that AFR happens to be at that moment, (say it happens to be adding a bit of fuel at that moment) it is then added to the overall WOT AFR value as well. A very well tuned car wouldn't see that issue, but a car that lets say has a less than optimal tune, can see WOT AFR's that aren't consistent from one run to the next.
    Another reason why I chose to run open loop SD, so I command the AFR I want and it's repeatable, dead nuts on every time with no variance.

I'd talk with Sean about it and see what he recommends. A good chance Nic D will have a hand in it and he's one of the best tuners around this area. They'll get the car running top notch either way you go.
    Firebirdjones. .I couldn't agree with you more on these points..I had big Mike tune my ride here in AZ about 7 months ago and he did a full street tune with and without the MAF connected...it was a good thing to because my maf took a dump like 2 months later..The SD tune is awesome and the throttle response is more crisp. ..Also is there a way to disengage the maf dtc in the computer? Otherwise I'll have to get Mike to tune it again along with a new maf....

5.3 stroker could get what u want a lot cheaper .. guy hear had one making 650 on motor
    Last edited by 99ss405; 02-18-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    So...what's the verdict on your ride!? How's the new power? I know Nicd does a great job tuning these cars as he's tuned mine previously. ..let us know...I'm in AZ as well..
    I'll have the update next week sometime.

Firebirdjones. .I couldn't agree with you more on these points..I had big Mike tune my ride here in AZ about 7 months ago and he did a full street tune with and without the MAF connected...it was a good thing to because my maf took a dump like 2 months later..The SD tune is awesome and the throttle response is more crisp. ..Also is there a way to disengage the maf dtc in the computer? Otherwise I'll have to get Mike to tune it again along with a new maf....
    yes my Z has no maf sensor on it

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Soon as I get around to upgrading the intake think I'm going to switch to a speed density tune. Heard too many issues with the larger maf setups.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

you going with what intake

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I will be the oddball and say I still run my MAF and with 500+rwhp I feel like my throttle response is pretty crisp
    RONS98TA likes this.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Same here as 35th-ANV-SS . I have almost the same setup and have no issues.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I will be the oddball and say I still run my MAF and with 500+rwhp I feel like my throttle response is pretty crisp
    When I installed my ported throttle body, the throttle response improved dramatically. It eliminated the little delay between pedal input and engine response (when going from off- to on-throttle).

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

See now that I have the NW102 TB I'm going to SD. Heard to many issues with aftermarket MAF's causing issues. Not to mention most are too small and acts as a choke point for the air. Just ordered a FASTTOYs 104mm airlid, already have a 4"x6" coupler that will connect the throttle body.

Yes, you have to go into the tune and check the box so the DTC doesn't report.

Naaman,
    This thread has gotten old, I forgot all about it. What did you end up doing on the car engine wise? Hit the dyno yet?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yes. All will be detailed tomorrow. Might not be able to scan the dyno right away, but I got the numbers.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Thread Information