Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thinking about an LS3

This is a discussion on Thinking about an LS3 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hard to say since I have no idea what Sean has spec'd out for you. But a decent cam and ...

Hard to say since I have no idea what Sean has spec'd out for you. But a decent cam and heads with stock manifolds should easily put down ~370 rwhp or so. That's about what we used to see bone stock 2001-2004 Z06 vettes put down through an IRS. Just headers and a good tune on those cars would hit the 400 rwhp mark if I remember right.

You'll have to report back after Sean gets it up on the dyno for some tuning and see what he pulls out of it. Should be interesting, and put a smile on your face.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have a dyno from the previous owner. 275/296 to the wheels. It was in Washington state. Not sure whether that was with the magnaflow or not. Ive since added a ported throttle body and an SLP lid, so I'd imagine its current numbers are still pretty close to that.

An additional 100 horsepower to the wheels should be quite a blast. If Im not mistaken, a solid axle leeches less horsepower than am IRS, correct?

Yup you are correct. And if you still have the 7.5" 10 bolt, they rob the least amount of power where as a 12 bolt soaks up a bit more HP and a 9 inch even a tad more.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I think you will be more than happy with an extra 100 ponies at the back wheels. My best advice would be to use extreme caution when you first get it back!! Don't just slam on the gas pedal like you use to. After all this time and work, nobody following this thread wants to see you wind up in a ditch cause you lost control with said new 100 h/p.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I know. I spent about 4 or 5 months getting acquainted with the stock horsepower. The increase is sure to require a new familiarization period.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yup you are correct. And if you still have the 7.5" 10 bolt, they rob the least amount of power where as a 12 bolt soaks up a bit more HP and a 9 inch even a tad more.
    Still running the 10-bolt. It's one of the things that worries me, but I've heard lots of people say that they've put 500 horsepower through their 10-bolts without a problem (most of these were probably automatics on various other cars... Monte Carlos and maybe some F-bodies). But I don't track my car or do high-rpm launches, so maybe it will hold up.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Just don't do anything from a dig and you should be fine for a while.
    RONS98TA likes this.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Yep. Just like 98TransAmWs-6 said, you should be just fine if you don't launch it hard or do a bunch of smoky burnouts. The 10 bolt will last for a lil while as long as its in good working condition now. Also keep a set of all season street radials on it. Don't go putting on a brand new set of sticky Mickey Thompson drag radials and go street racing. LOL
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'm deciding between Michelin A/S3 and Pilot Super Sports... probably going to get the A/S3s for the longer mileage warranty...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Just sitting around wishing I had my car and thinking about getting a speed density tune when she goes to the dyno...

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Still running the 10-bolt. It's one of the things that worries me, but I've heard lots of people say that they've put 500 horsepower through their 10-bolts without a problem (most of these were probably automatics on various other cars... Monte Carlos and maybe some F-bodies). But I don't track my car or do high-rpm launches, so maybe it will hold up.
    People that say that are always on borrowed time, they just don't know it yet or don't want to admit it. Yes the autos are much more friendly on parts, but even with that I personally wouldn't think about putting 500 HP through one without knowing that eventually the rear is going to need upgraded. It gets even worse when they go tossing more gear in it. This lessens the tooth contact pattern and effectively weakens the rearend even more.

I've exploaded 2 of them, and one was in a very spectacular fassion that nearly took the whole car with it. At that time the car was probably worth 5 times what a rearend would cost. Would have been a shame.

Keep stock tires on it, and remember that tire spin is your friend right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm deciding between Michelin A/S3 and Pilot Super Sports... probably going to get the A/S3s for the longer mileage warranty...
    Can't go wrong with Michelin's. Best damn tire out there in my opinion.

Just sitting around wishing I had my car and thinking about getting a speed density tune when she goes to the dyno...
    Personally I love the SD tunes. I tuned all my LS stuff in SD and ditched the (sometimes troublesome) MAF. I love the snappier throttle response that an SD tune provides, and I also like to dictate the AFR myself, finding it much easier to run a leaner and much more steady AFR in cruise mode, without the AFR hunting around all the time like it does with the MAF. The results were much more consistent gas mileage on every fillup and a gain of 1-2 mpg. I also liked the fact that I can also control the WOT AFR consistently with repeatable results every time.
    With the MAF tune, If the MAF and 02's are switching back and forth all the time (and they always do to some degree) and you wack the throttle, what ever that AFR happens to be at that moment, (say it happens to be adding a bit of fuel at that moment) it is then added to the overall WOT AFR value as well. A very well tuned car wouldn't see that issue, but a car that lets say has a less than optimal tune, can see WOT AFR's that aren't consistent from one run to the next.
    Another reason why I chose to run open loop SD, so I command the AFR I want and it's repeatable, dead nuts on every time with no variance.

I'd talk with Sean about it and see what he recommends. A good chance Nic D will have a hand in it and he's one of the best tuners around this area. They'll get the car running top notch either way you go.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, Ive been researching SD tuning.... not sure I understand the pros and cons (if there are any), but I like what Ive read about SD tuning so far.

Another pro for me is that it gets rid of one more stinkin' electronic device that I can do without

Out of all the engine parts on these things, that MAF always seems to be at the top of the list for giving people the most issues. And they are fairly expensive to replace when they do. My solution?? Just get rid of it permanently.

If there are any cons, the one that I can think of that might bother some people is the fact that the car will no longer have ability to adjust AFR on the fly, say for elevation changes for example. Honestly I don't know how good it is at doing that, and with big elevation changes around here I question if it has the ability to be THAT good at it, or that accurate, or if it has that much flexability in it.
    But for me losing the ability of adjusting AFR on the fly was never a concern for me, since I primarily drive around carburated cars anyway and I've found a happy medium as far as AFR's go that work well at all elevation changes around here without giving me issues. Honestly though, the average car guy wouldn't even notice it anyway. I've been running the SD tunes for a few years now up here at 5,000 ft and routinely drive down into the valley with no change in drivability. The only thing I notice is that all the cars pick up HP when I get down closer to sea level

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah. I was thinking that might be an issue, but you can just turn the car off, and then turn it on if the elevation becomes a problem. Did it with my wife's 2007 Honda when we took a trip to Big Bear. I was having trouble keeping up with all the local traffic climbing up the mountain. We pulled over, turned off the car, and turned it back on and everything was fine.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

My charger I had was SD tuned and it ran great here at 330 ft and about the same even when I took a trip up into the mountains (might be different if I was racing though). I am really a fan of SD as I have never experienced any bad issues as the result of being SD.

Keep in mind, you are going to experience a loss in power at higher altitudes no matter what kind of tune you have in the car. At these higher elevations the air is much thinner, and you just can't pack as much air in the engine at these higher altitudes. As a result there is a drop in HP. Usually 2-3% loss for every 1,000 feet you climb in elevation, doesn't matter if you tune for it.

You'll even experience these changes staying at the same elevation you're at. The weather changes the DA calculations every day (density altitude) and it fluctuates by the minute depending on heat, humidity, etc...

The higher the altitude the leaner the fuel mixture needs to be, which helps, and makes the car happier, but the car will still be down on power production. That's why the correction factors are used on dyno's and dragstrips.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Since I'm constant at sea level I'm planning on doing a SD tune. A buddy has one on his 383 and swears it performs better than with a MAF.

It will perform better if you have an MAF tune that is subpar and not dialed in perfectly. But in order to do that you have to spend some time on the VE tables and get those dialed in too or the SD tune won't be worth a damn either. I find this much easier to do however.

What you will notice right off the bat is crisper throttle response. I just like the fact that I no longer have an MAF overriding and making small corrections. I never could seem to get the MAF "spot on" and always had trouble creating a histogram for it and trying to map it out too, only to have the darn thing adding part throttle fuel at times. This was added to the overall WOT AFR anytime I whacked the throttle. I then wound up with richer AFR's at WOT than what I was trying to command at times. I didn't like the inconsistency. The whole thing is just a headache I can do without. So I made my tuning experiences more simple, and removed it.

Give you an example. I did a 6.0 swap in my 72 4x4 Blazer. Stock everything, including the truck intake, truck exhaust manifolds etc... I started off with a modified tune (computer) from Howells that came with the custom made harness. Basically had VATS and emissions junk deleted for a retro swap. I ran this tune for quite some time with a brand new large MAF sensor (also part of the package).

Truck ran good, and was getting 15 mpg around town and roughly 18-19 on the highway. Once I had other things ironed out I started the tuning process with the wideband, and spent alot of time on the VE tables, shift points, and a few other tweaks. When it was all said and done, I had decided to delete the MAF all together and run strictly off the VE tables with my commanded AFR's at both part throttle and WOT. Mileage around town jumped to 17 mpg consistently and the best I got on the highway was 22 mpg, but would get 20-21 consistently. Best part was that it would go 14.30's at the track with 33" tires no less and was an absolute blast to drive. Not bad for a stone stock 6.0 in a 5,000 lbs. 4x4. Even the AWD 6.0 SS Trailblazers in stock form aren't always that quick. I contribute alot of that to the SD tuning, the stock truck tunes are pretty lame.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Thread Information