White
    2001 Z28

Is there a lamp for gear indicator?

I can't remember, is there supposed to be a light underneath the gear indicator on the center console? If there is, then mine is burned out. But if there isn't, I don't want to spend an hour trying to figure out how to get something that isn't there.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...g/IMG_6624.jpg

Assuming it's there, can someone advise an easy way to get to it? I don't see any obvious bolts or screws which makes me think it snaps on like the sail panels, but I'm not sure.

Will

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yes sir there is a bulb under there, theres two screws under the arm rest that you have to remove.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

silver
    2000 formula

took off my console............changed bulb......and cleaned that nasty puppy up

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Yes sir there is a bulb under there, theres two screws under the arm rest that you have to remove.
    J
    Ok, dumb follow up question time...

I found the two 7mm hex screws under the loose change sorter. Those were easy enough to remove. I started to lift up the console, but I quickly realized that the gear shift and the cigarette lighter weren't going to let me move it very much. I can lift the end up by the glove box a couple inches, but that's it. What's the trick to removing the gear shifter and pulling out the lighter socket?

Update: found an answer on the shift knob here - http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ove+gear+shift

Question still stands for the lighter socket.
    Last edited by Thewilldog; 08-02-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

put ur shift all the way down on 1st or 2nd gear, this will give you some extra room. if you reach behind the cigar lighter plug you can unsnap the power plug (the piece with the wires) to it. You can fully remove the console after that. If you still have trouble I can take some pics for you.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    put ur shift all the way down on 1st or 2nd gear, this will give you some extra room. if you reach behind the cigar lighter plug you can unsnap the power plug (the piece with the wires) to it. You can fully remove the console after that. If you still have trouble I can take some pics for you.
    I was able to work the staple holding the shift knob out w/ a pair of needle nose pliers and a small flat head screw driver. I unhooked the cig lighter and pulled out the console...and promptly broke both hinges on the ash tray door. They must have been ready to go, cause they both snapped off almost right away. But I was able to replace the little light in there and clean it off really well. I don't smoke, so I won't notice the door anyways.

Thanks.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

sry to hear that you joined the club of the broke ashtray cover. I pulled the console out and glue the cover in the close position with some plastic epoxy. If you do it right you can't see it. Glad that you were able to fix your light.

Thread Information