Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

texas emissions?

This is a discussion on texas emissions? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; amarillo is not an emissions county so you have to have cats present but it does not state they need ...

white
    2000 TA

amarillo is not an emissions county so you have to have cats present but it does not state they need to be functional

white
    2000 TA

also in tx anything from 84 or newer has to have a converter present

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the clean air act is federal and governed by the EPA. Whether you're in an emmisions county/state or not federal law says that you have to have cats on the car if it came with them from the factory.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

well, the muffler shop i went to said they can either run straight pipes with no cats, but it has to have mufflers, or he will leave the cat and run new cat back with no mufflers. i opted for the latter since it was $300 cheaper than the first option....which im happy with since it sound flippin awesome...its amazing how little exhaust leaks can make your car sound like a weak ass ....now it sounds all tough n shit...

red
    2001 formula

You can alway get the Texas antique plates. Five year plate $50 dollars and no inspection required. You are supposed to only drive the car for shows and test and maintenance runs but I have never been questioned on my 77 vette.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by vanmis View Post
    also in tx anything from 84 or newer has to have a converter present

I dont know about texas but on the safty's in utah its just an advise if your cat is mising

Black
    02' T/A WS6

Just a bit of info to add to this, I have a friend whom owns a shop and for a couple of years now Texas has been trying to rid the non-emissions counties. They almost pushed it through last year, I believe that January 1st this year was the official start of that. I'm in Caddo Mills, Tx. which is Hunt County, which was emissions free so this really sux for me. I bought my 02 WS6 from a guy whom had true dual straight pipes custom installed, no mufflers and no cats. Don't know how but the check engine light comes on like it is suppose to when the key is turned on and turns off when the engine is started. I however got pulled over for loud exhaust so I had 2 15" gp's installed and it quietened it down enough.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Just a bit of info to add to this, I have a friend whom owns a shop and for a couple of years now Texas has been trying to rid the non-emissions counties. They almost pushed it through last year, I believe that January 1st this year was the official start of that. I'm in Caddo Mills, Tx. which is Hunt County, which was emissions free so this really sux for me. I bought my 02 WS6 from a guy whom had true dual straight pipes custom installed, no mufflers and no cats. Don't know how but the check engine light comes on like it is suppose to when the key is turned on and turns off when the engine is started. I however got pulled over for loud exhaust so I had 2 15" gp's installed and it quietened it down enough.
    it is still non-emissions in san jacinto county...which is where my dad lives..but im in harris county so ive been screwed for a while.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    you can turn those codes off with tuning software so those specific codes aren't reported.

Black
    02' T/A WS6

Cool, I hope they keep pushing it off for years to come.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    I cant recall but if the car is 15 or 20 years old all it needs to pass is the saftey inspection and no longer needs an emissions test.

Edit: Found this...
    I bought my car from someone in Maine. 2000 T/A. I bought it with full length headers with no cats. I am getting ready to move to Elgin, Texas, which is in Bastrop County, and does not require emissions testing. Wonder if I will have trouble getting it inspected? Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information