Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

texas emissions?

Well i took the vette to the muffler shop today to get some new pipe from the converter back. i kinda hinted that i wanted to actually dual it out with no cat or muffler since the entire smog setup is removed anyway. (add a muffler later if its too loud). of course the guy tells me that if the car came with emissions then the cat must stay. He also tells me that it is illegal to have no mufflers. I dont know if i believe this because i know several people without mufflers that pass inspection every year. So i told him i would think about it (price was around 300 for 2 glasspacks and pipe). the car has no mufflers right now and sounds a little louder than stock. and i know the stock cat is restrictive as hell..its almost 30 years old if its the origional. does anyone know the actual laws about the mufflers? and is there an age cutoff as far as having a working emissions system? any special treatment for classics?"

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

i know in illinois cars older than 96(not positive about year) dont have to do emission insepctions anymore. not to sure if thats helpful but good luck to ya

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Each state is different. He is probably right about not removing the cat. Can you do the work yourself? I am sure you can get an exhaust kit for your vette that does from the headers or manifolds back. When they do an inspection do they put the reader in the tailpipe?

pewter
    99 trans am

!

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Each state is different. He is probably right about not removing the cat. Can you do the work yourself? I am sure you can get an exhaust kit for your vette that does from the headers or manifolds back. When they do an inspection do they put the reader in the tailpipe?
    my car is registered in a non-emissions county...getting inspected is not a problem...my worry is not being able to get exhaust done the way i want it.....i wanted to go the cheaper route and just have strait pipes....if it is downright illegal to not have mufflers and a cat then im all kinds of not happy....global warming is not real!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

In Texas it varies from county to county ....like here in Kendall County we do not even have emission inspections.....Yes there are variables for cars 30 years old and older...get a "cool" inspector....

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    my car is registered in a non-emissions county...getting inspected is not a problem...my worry is not being able to get exhaust done the way i want it.....i wanted to go the cheaper route and just have strait pipes....if it is downright illegal to not have mufflers and a cat then im all kinds of not happy....global warming is not real!
    If you aren't worried about emissions just find another shop. Duals with mufflers sounds great. In Florida a lot of people do straight pipes. I personally don't like the way it sounds.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If you aren't worried about emissions just find another shop. Duals with mufflers sounds great. In Florida a lot of people do straight pipes. I personally don't like the way it sounds.
    the car has no mufflers at this moment...but for some reason its not loud at all...its like a really mellow glasspack..maybe the cat is the reason for this.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

I cant recall but if the car is 15 or 20 years old all it needs to pass is the saftey inspection and no longer needs an emissions test.

Edit: Found this...
    Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
    Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
    Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.
    Last edited by SandmanWs7; 12-08-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Take the cat off yourself, then go....

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Yeah, you should be able to get cats removed on any car 95 or older here in TX. Houston might be a little more difficult though but I'm not sure. Just go to the shady place on the corner with some guy in a wifebeater sitting out front. They will cut 'em off and pass your emissions. Every town has those kinda places.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP View Post
    Yeah, you should be able to get cats removed on any car 95 or older here in TX. Houston might be a little more difficult though but I'm not sure. Just go to the shady place on the corner with some guy in a wifebeater sitting out front. They will cut 'em off and pass your emissions. Every town has those kinda places.
    i like where your head is at sir....i think that will be a mission for saturday.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    Take the cat off yourself, then go....
    Thats what im sayin just unbolt the exhaust and tell them what you need and say its a off road vehicle

Impounded
    gmcheviac

25 and older is for sure safe in Texas...

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

hell i know plenty of people arount here that have 80s/90s trucks and a few guys with LS1 t/as & camaros that dont have any of that,

find an exhaust shop that'll do it regardless, and find a shadetree inspection shop that wont care, its all too easy, especially for you with a classic

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Technically it is against Federal law to remove a cat from any car that came equipped with one. Further it is illegal to move it from it's original location like further down the exhaust stream because they are not as efficient.......

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Technically it is against Federal law to remove a cat from any car that came equipped with one. Further it is illegal to move it from it's original location like further down the exhaust stream because they are not as efficient.......
    im not too good at obeying the law when it comes to vehicles....the car has a carb and runs a little rich depending on the weather...a cat is not really helping lol....

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Any good exhaust shop will know that it's only against the law if it's a 96 or newer vehicle. I've heard that from multiple exhaust guys.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

absolutely cannot help you being form Ct. but i think ya need side pipes on an 81 vette, increase the compression a little bit and get a cam with a little more lift and duration!!! If its to loud for them there to OLD!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP View Post
    Any good exhaust shop will know that it's only against the law if it's a 96 or newer vehicle. I've heard that from multiple exhaust guys.
    this is false.....the clean air act goes back to 1970. Cats became a requirement in 75 I believe and from that point on it was illegal to remove them. I think they're confusing the law a little as far as replacement. It's covered at this link. There were different replacement guidlines from pre-96 to post-96 when obd 1 came out.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

white
    2000 TA

i was a state inspector in amarillo tx and it states if it came with muffler or cats its has to be present unless emission county they use a sniffer in the exhaust to make sure the cats are working prop

Thread Information