Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Terminator vs. c5 zo6

Hello all, im new here and wanted to ask you all your opinion on something... I am a car guy who respects all makes/models (i dont care if its a ford or toyota.... if it is a well built and designed car I will like it) and am looking for a sports car in the 25,000 dollar range that will keep my interest.. my last car was a 93 5.0 with some small mods, and the one before that was an lt1 94 vette... (just for some history...) I like drag racing on the weekend, but also love the spirited drive along a curvey back road... you guys seem less baised than the mustang forums where i'd get flamed for even asking... but given that the prices and miles for a ~2000 z06 and a 03 cobra are similar... which one do you like and why? I like both cars and both deserve mad respect, i just want to hear others opinions... thanks!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

there both a great buy and both easily the best bang for your buck out there....im very much like u as well in that i love all cars. I would pick the z06 and go with an 02-04 z06 because they made a lot of improvements/upgrades after the 01 model z06......i would pick the z06 over the term because its much lighter...more aerodynamic which would mean its very likely to be MUCH more stable at high speeds......because its lighter im sure itll stop faster with less chance of fade....its faster out of the box but obviously with some mild mods the term is nasty.......if your looking for a dynoqueen drag car go with the term......but if u want somthing that can both drag and race on a track go with the vette.....ive riden in an 02 and 04 z06 and both times i was amazed.....ive never been in a car that braked/handled anywhere near as well as one of those......the g's i felt were just awsome......weight distribution is also nearly 50/50 in the vette and im SURE its no where near in the term....your prolly gonna pay about 30k for a good low milage z06 and in the 25 range for the term with the same unless your looking for a vert in which case that would run closer to 30 as well........goodluck man ...i picked up my lingenfelter z with 17k miles and fikse wheels, basicly 23k spent at LPE..... 61 yr old man owned her and it was babied.....got it for 19,500 ....so theres deals out there.....half the fun is shopping for that new car ..goodluck

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by soccerpimp09 View Post
    Hello all, im new here and wanted to ask you all your opinion on something... I am a car guy who respects all makes/models (i dont care if its a ford or toyota.... if it is a well built and designed car I will like it) and am looking for a sports car in the 25,000 dollar range that will keep my interest.. my last car was a 93 5.0 with some small mods, and the one before that was an lt1 94 vette... (just for some history...) I like drag racing on the weekend, but also love the spirited drive along a curvey back road... you guys seem less baised than the mustang forums where i'd get flamed for even asking... but given that the prices and miles for a ~2000 z06 and a 03 cobra are similar... which one do you like and why? I like both cars and both deserve mad respect, i just want to hear others opinions... thanks!
    Thats a tough call a 03-04 cobra makes insane power for very little money
    slp has a 575hp pack for like $2100, Thats over 500rwhp it's going to take alot more $$$$$$ to get you there with the z06, the z06 is nice but for my 25k I would lean toward the 03 cobra or maybe a little more for a gen 1 viper. The z06 is amazing and since this is ls1.com youll get more pull for the z06.

murdered out 06 z06

get the z,i have the z06(stock)my sister has the 04 cobra(440rwhp)
    the z is much more popular, and it rides better,looks better,and feels better
    she is always begging me to let her drive it too

i dont think the cobra will hold value like a z06 would either

i paid 34000 with 4500 miles on it
    she paid 28000 with 20,000 miles on it

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Hands down, z06

(as long as its not yellow)

haha why not yellow? I was thinking either black or blue.. for either car... I know the z handles better and that is important to me but the big thing keeping the terminator in my sights is the fact that I live in FL... and drag tracks are about the only kind of track around here... I know the term can be a sick drag car without too much money - for the z06 to keep up i'd need to build the engine for any HP over 500 wouldnt i? also I plan on getting a new z06 when I graduate... this is a car while im in college to play with, and i'll probably keep it when I get the new car too... cobra would make a great weekend racer.. but stock vs. stock I'd rather have the z06... bah... too many choices.. too many factors...

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

for the z06 to keep up i'd need to build the engine for any HP over 500 wouldnt i? ..

Youre joking right?

Well no... I know of terms making 800rwhp with stock engines and turbo's.. but i've read on this very forum that a boosted LS1 is a bad idea with stock bottom end.... no? please inform me... I know the z06 isn't an ls1 but they are basically the same engine...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

k this needs to be moved to general help or something. but no the z06 is lighter then the term. but i mean if you want alot of HP. then i hate to say it but hit up the Term. those things can be made into beasts. but personally i'd get a c5 z06.

98' trans am

Well no... I know of terms making 800rwhp with stock engines and turbo's.. but i've read on this very forum that a boosted LS1 is a bad idea with stock bottom end.... no? please inform me... I know the z06 isn't an ls1 but they are basically the same engine...
    its not that it isnt a good idea, its just that the bottom end could take a shit on you. plus i dont remember what the z06's compression ratio is. but if a engine has high compression then just throwing a turbo on it isnt the best idea. it can lead to some serious problems. i'm not boost expert but i believe we have aluminum bottom end dont we or do we have steel? but its always a good idea to beef up the bottom end of a engine when your boosting. but the terminator has titanium bottom end i believe already, and if not titanium then its a really solid steel end. so it can take the abuse of boosting. if the ls7's compression wasnt so high it would be excellent to boost...that's why the 08 vette SS has a SC on it. becuase the internals are titanium and soild as hell for boosting, it is just a matter of changing the heads and such to lower the compression ratio. hope this helps.

Yea i thought so... and thats the breaker though, if you add in the cost of a turbo (home made) and internals.. the costs change... in the long run... I like how the vette feels though, I may have to go with what I like stock vs. stock so that I wont be unhappy until I can afford to mod it... plus the c5 z06 is just plain sexier... thanks for the info on the block -

98' trans am

stock for stock the z06 would destroy a 03 cobra.. but like i said if you are going to mod it hard then hp wise the cobra is king..but for the best balance of power and race car feel around the corners then z06...pimp the z06 man

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

zo6-more dependable, also the vette gets 'em wet!!!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    zo6-more dependable, also the vette gets 'em wet!!!
    i will agree with the vette gets em wet part. but when tuned and done right the svt's engine holds up fine. its sorta like a urban myth about the engines.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Z06 is lighter, much better handling for the curves like you described, and has more prestige than a Cobra. I would look for a 2002+ Z06, the 01s weren't the greatest. If you are just looking for raw huge HP car, definately go with the Cobra.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'd have to drive the crap out both for me to make my mind up. They are both have their pluses. What about insurance costs. That may help you decide.

Yea the insurance is going to be a factor, but i didnt figure there would be too large of a difference?? I'm either getting a new car or a new bike either way insurance will be expensive - the z06 does have more prestige, but if 02 is the way to go that pushes the cost closer to 30,000... and I dunno if I wanna go 20,000 in debt just yet (i'd put 10,000 down) - hmm... keep the opinions coming, i appreciate all the views

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

climate would also be something to consider

with the vetter being lighter that means it has no drivability in rain or snow

Grilled Cheese rocks!!!!! slo4mula's Avatar

GM Bright Red
    2000 Formula

drive both vehicles. a Z06 is still a vette and a cobra is still just a mustang. if you drive both you'll go with the Z06.

Well rain? I mean.. I know it will be harder than driving the old LT1, but it couldn't be impossible, Its a daily so I'm sure it will see rain... cant be that bad... ?

Thread Information