temperature an oil pressure gauge Q"S

This is a discussion on temperature an oil pressure gauge Q"S within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; just bought my 2001 SS SOM, 62500 mi, T-tops, M6, Tan/black interior,flowmaster, for 15500.00. I love the car. car is ...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

temperature an oil pressure gauge Q"S

just bought my 2001 SS SOM, 62500 mi, T-tops, M6, Tan/black interior,flowmaster, for 15500.00. I love the car. car is mostly stock and drives strong. I had some concerns about a few things. First my oil pressure gauge starts at 40 and when I step on the gas it moves to about 60. Is this normal? and my temperature gauge is at Half way sometimes a bit below half way. Should it be at a quarter? or is my reading ok? I just thought it might be running a little hotter than what it should be. Maybe its just me.....

BRIGHT RED
    2002 FIREHAWK

After the car has reached normal operating temp. you should be around 40- 50 on the oil pressure, and unless you had a 160 thermostat installed these cars nornally run 195-200 degrees on the temp. Congrats on the new purchase.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Congrats on buying the SS The oil pressure is normal and so is the temp...after the motor warms up the gauge is just a dummy gauge that shows a overheat condition anyway.

If you hook up a live data monitoring device (hptuners,predator, etc) to the OBII port you'll see that your car runs a lot higher temp then the gauge shows. From the factory my low speed fans weren't programmed to come on until 226*....and high speed was in the 230's.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

thanks for the props.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds like a nice car.

As mentioned, everything is normal. Your temp. gauge isn't accurate though. It basicly tells you 3 things. Cold, operating temp, and overheating.
    You are good though!
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Thread Information