Results 1 to 2 of 2
This is a discussion on temperature etc... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...
07-13-2009, 10:49 PM #1
Apologies for newbie-type post; I'm a 2000 TA owner out in Dubai, where it's routinely +40 degrees c or even more. I would like an idea of what sort of temps and oil pressures the beast should be running. Of course the AC is on all the time... The car already has quite a few mods including custom setting for the fan "on/off" points and a 160deg thermostat.
It seems to run at about 90 deg c at cruising speed (here thats anything up to about 90mph), but in traffic it will climb to 110 or maybe slightly more (it has an aftermarket temp/oil pres. gauge). Despite this, it always runs and idles just fine.
At 90 deg and under the oil pressure seems reasonable, but once the temperature gets over 100 the oil pressure drops at least 1 bar (15lbs) or more, at idle it's almost nonexistent. I suspect an oil cooler would be a good investment out here??
I also think I should perhaps use e.g. 5w-50 full synth oil, which is not what the handbook says. Does anyone have any comment on whether thats a good idea?
Unrelated thing: I changed all the indicator/sidelights for led bulbs (and the 2 flasher units for electronic). I was surprised that my running lights still worked (I'd rather they didn't anyway...). ... but the hazard flashers don't flash! - I don't see an obvious reason, perhaps I have a dud flasher??? Or can it be related to that damn DRL unit, whatever it does...
Thanks in advance...
Oh yeah, list of mods to the car;
- Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam Gen III/LS1/LS6 350
- Hi-Tech Chrome Moly Pushrods
- Crane Cams LS1 rocker kit
- Comp Cams Gen III/LS1/LS6 RPM Valve Spring Upgrade Kit
- Comp Cams LS1,LS2,LS6 High Performance Valve Locks
- Motive Gears 4.10 ring/pinion
- B&M Ripper Shifter 6 spd
- Hypertech Thermostat 160° F
- Hooker Headers 1.75" Black Full Length Headers
- Hooker Headers Off-Road Y-pipe
- Bosche wideband O2 Sensors
- Flowmaster Muffler Cross-flow 80 Series / Custom Tip end
- Grand GM 75mm 3 Pin Mass Air Meter
- SLP Air Box Lid
- SLP Smooth Bellows
- K&N Air Filter
- Corvette ZR1 Wheels 18" 275/40 265/40
- Diablosport Programmer GM LS1 + Diagnose tool + installed custom tune
- disabled rear 02 sensors
- Throttle body heating bypassed
- Air injection system removed/disabled
- Suspension lowered
- Skip shift feature disabled
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM #2
- Join Date
- Oct 2007
- Beaver Dam KY
79 T/A -91 Firebird
- 1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black
ls6 ported oil pump will solve you pressure problems. Stock ls1 pumps suck really bad!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Raise in forum Internal EngineReplies: 23Last Post: 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything GoesReplies: 0Last Post: 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
By steve01 in forum Internal EngineReplies: 1Last Post: 01-16-2007, 04:38 AM
By 79JON in forum General HelpReplies: 5Last Post: 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM
By Raise in forum Internal EngineReplies: 11Last Post: 09-26-2005, 10:13 AM