Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: temp guage

red
    04 pontiac gto

temp guage

on my way to work today my temp guage ran hotter then normal.its usually stays right below have way 200 degrees i believe.it was at one point near the 3/4 mark but the lowest it came down was a bit over half.now i had to sit in traffic for over and hour and there was massive flooding everywhere here.when i turned my car off i did hear the fan so i know thats working properly and i checked the radiator fluid and it was normal.any thoughts?im worried about my ride home now although there shouldnt be any traffic by then.thanks in advance

The 3/4 mark is definitely high and abnormal - the fans kept running after you turned the car off? That's not normal either. Did you throw a SES light? Even if it didn't checking for any codes might help nail it down.

red
    04 pontiac gto

no the fan wasnt on when the car was off .i popped the hood when it was running and notice the fan on.no ses lights either.also i had my radiator flushed about 5000 miles ago or so.ill see when i travel home what happens.i checke dthe fluid when it was cold and it was dead on the money where it should be at

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Thermostat stuck?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

red
    04 pontiac gto

weird on my way home temp staye normal.no problems hmmmmm typical gm

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Try bleeding it again and again....you probably have air stuck in there from the flush

"bone stock....."
    1994 Camaro Z28

At least it didn't die, like a Ford.

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Temp Gauge

I am starting to get the same problem when crusing around 80 MPH and above. However, I think my problem may be caused by all of my engine bolt-ons, and the need to change my thermostat to 160 degree, which is recommended by Hypertech when installing there engine tune. If anybody has done this, please give me some feedback on any noticeable changes in engine tempature from a stock thermostat.

"bone stock....."
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bluecamaro
    I am starting to get the same problem when crusing around 80 MPH and above. However, I think my problem may be caused by all of my engine bolt-ons, and the need to change my thermostat to 160 degree, which is recommended by Hypertech when installing there engine tune. If anybody has done this, please give me some feedback on any noticeable changes in engine tempature from a stock thermostat.
    It's a very noticable change over stock. I think that mod should be done before anything else. I wouldn't even worry about putting tire shine on if I hadn't done that. But, I've got TX summers to deal with, and like my engine to stay as cool as possible. Well worth the $20!!!!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you should all check out the SLP fan switch, i have it and my car never gets over the first mark after 160

its like 60 bucks and its well worth it

it has a low fan speed setting a stock setting and a high fan speed section

05 Wrangler

or just retune the fan on/off temps

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    or just retune the fan on/off temps
    how do you retune the fan on/off setting?

Need something/someone to reprogram them through the PCM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Nice thing about the switch...you can leave it running after the car is off.
    Helpful at the track.

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Ls1 Running Hot!!

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction on this one, because I am becoming very frustrated with my treasured ride. Anyhow, as I had stated previously, my Camaro was running a bit on the hot side. Therefore, I had the thermostat changed to a 160 degree Hypertech powerstat and after the install my temp gauge steady slightly cooler than before, but after my
    70-80 mph commute home yesterday it went well over 210 and almost reached redline. Needless to say, but this was embarrassing, because it remained well over 210 until I slowed down to about 50 MPH before it started to cool back down and cars were flying by me like I was in a Sophia Kia or something. Anyhow, I'm frustrated with this problem and I'm asking for your experience and or suggestions with this issue.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by bluecamaro
    I hope somebody can point me in the right direction on this one, because I am becoming very frustrated with my treasured ride. Anyhow, as I had stated previously, my Camaro was running a bit on the hot side. Therefore, I had the thermostat changed to a 160 degree Hypertech powerstat and after the install my temp gauge steady slightly cooler than before, but after my
    70-80 mph commute home yesterday it went well over 210 and almost reached redline. Needless to say, but this was embarrassing, because it remained well over 210 until I slowed down to about 50 MPH before it started to cool back down and cars were flying by me like I was in a Sophia Kia or something. Anyhow, I'm frustrated with this problem and I'm asking for your experience and or suggestions with this issue.
    Make sure you bled all the air out of the cooling system when you put your stat in...clean the fins (fragile, be careful) outside of the radiator and a/c condensor and check for any major blockage....check your water pump for leakage. A good flush wouldn't hurt either..

If it was me i'd put a 180* of 195* stat in....a 160* just takes longer for the car to reach running temps and is pointless IMO unless you drop the fan on/off temps also....it will run cooler on the freeway though.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Try bleeding it again and again....you probably have air stuck in there from the flush
    Read it, believe it.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Mine's doing the same thing. Here's the difference. My forged motor was installed only 3,000 miles ago. It was doing it on the old stock motor and it's doing the same identical thing. It's the same EXACT symptoms as yours ... every single thing you've said ,thusfar.

I just bought a SLP fan switch, but, once the engine reaches temperature, the fans stay on until it cools back down. Unless the SLP switch makes the fans blow stronger, I don't have a lot of confidence that will help, but, I'll post up when I install it this weekend.

I have a Mezierre electric water pump with the colder thermostat, but, it seems to not matter ... THEREFORE, I rule out the bolt-ons theory.

Since mine was doing the same thing on the old stock motor, that ONLY leaves the radiator. I don't think it would be an air pocket issue with two seperate flushes/install, but, that is a remote possibility.

When I was getting my car tuned at NLP yesterday, Mike said a Corvette had the exact same issues and they tried EVERYTHING. Finally, the guy who owned the Corvette installed a new radiator and all his problems went away.

My next purchase will be a new radiator ... probably a High-capacity SLP one, even though the motor can only flow so much coolant. Hope this helps or at least makes you feel better knowing others are having the same problems. I'm gonna' search the board to see if anyone else replaced the radiator to correct the same issues. BTW, my radiator looks brand new inside and I have taken it out and thoroughly cleaned it ... no difference in the temps issue.

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Air In The System

Thanks gents, I do feel better knowing that others are having this same problem. However, in reference to some of the responses, I did in fact have my radiator flushed twice, and the shop did tell me that there was quite a bit of air in the system. Therefore, I feel that maybe the air in the system is a major hinderance, but the temp did finally cool prior to leaving the shop. Hopefully, I can resolve it by bleeding it again, but maybe GM needs to recall these radiators or I'll just have to look at replacing it as mentioned by members.

Black
    2001 camaro

Cool slp fan switch

you could have saved that 60 bucks and just grounded two wires(green and blue wires) under the hood its cheaper and easier!

Thread Information