Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

temp and gas gauge keep jumping around

This is a discussion on temp and gas gauge keep jumping around within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ntymd8r I got a problem woth my fuel gauge, too. The gauge will read full at every ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ntymd8r View Post
    I got a problem woth my fuel gauge, too. The gauge will read full at every fill up, but more times than not, it will slowly go up and down. It sometimes goes all the way down past empty for a few seconds/minutes. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Gauge sender issues like that are usually the result of buildup from sulfer deposits. Honestly, go get two (2) bottles of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner from the parts store. Run them in two (2) successive fill ups, following the instructions on the bottle, and I am fairly certain this will solve your problem. I am not a big advocate for additives and such, but this does work.

Red
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Gauge sender issues like that are usually the result of buildup from sulfer deposits. Honestly, go get two (2) bottles of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner from the parts store. Run them in two (2) successive fill ups, following the instructions on the bottle, and I am fairly certain this will solve your problem. I am not a big advocate for additives and such, but this does work.
    Where does the sulfer deposit build up, exactly? In the tank, in a line, on the sender unit it self? Sounds promising...so, you have actually done this in your car?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My first Ford Ranger has a sender issue and using Chevron Techron made it go away. Almost exactly what you described. I just dumped Chevron Techron in our '07 Suburan yesterday as preventative maintenance. Sulfer deposits build up on the sender -- it is essentially a winding of very tiny wire against which the float rod makes contact. As it travels up and down the resistance varies and this is what makes your gauge needle move. The sensor is dampened of course so that fuel slosh does not make your gauge bounce all over the place.

Red

My first Ford Ranger has a sender issue and using Chevron Techron made it go away. Almost exactly what you described. I just dumped Chevron Techron in our '07 Suburan yesterday as preventative maintenance. Sulfer deposits build up on the sender -- it is essentially a winding of very tiny wire against which the float rod makes contact. As it travels up and down the resistance varies and this is what makes your gauge needle move. The sensor is dampened of course so that fuel slosh does not make your gauge bounce all over the place.
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try it over the weekend! I have only used Valvoline products in my Z. Do you know of any difference in additives of Techron compared to the Valvoline products?....and we're referring to a fuel sustem cleaner, right?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Chevron, Exxon, and Shell, use techron in their fuels. Get yourself a couple tank fulls from one of those gas stations and you should be fine.
    As far as aditives go, I can't answer that as I never use off the shelf additives, and I also never let my tank go below 1/4.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Chevron, Exxon, and Shell, use techron in their fuels. Get yourself a couple tank fulls from one of those gas stations and you should be fine.
    As far as aditives go, I can't answer that as I never use off the shelf additives, and I also never let my tank go below 1/4.
    I am die hard Shell, so that's the only fuel I use. Differnce betwreen Chevron and Shell?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by ntymd8r View Post
    I am die hard Shell, so that's the only fuel I use. Differnce betwreen Chevron and Shell?
    Then you probably have an eletrical issue. Here in PA. Chevron and Shell are two different fuel stations. I also see you're from Cali. so Exxon is'nt an option for you..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Chevron Techron is the only one I personally know of that works. Last I saw, Walmart had it with an instant coupon for $2.00 off at the register.

Red

Chevron Techron is the only one I personally know of that works. Last I saw, Walmart had it with an instant coupon for $2.00 off at the register.
    I'll try the additive and post up the results.....thanks for the suggestions!

Red

Did some research and the census was Chevron w/ Techron (their formula) does some things to clean your engine while Shell w/Nitrogen (their formula) does other things. Since I've only used Shell, I'll switch over to Chevron for a few tanks to see if the fuel gauge fixes itself. Again, I'll post up the results.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The stuff I am talking about comes in a bottle -- not at the pump.

Red

So use it (the additive) with Shell gas or Chevron? Would that matter?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Use it with whatever you would like.

Red

Thanks for your help!

Red

....OK, filled her up on Saturday and added the Chevron w/Techron. Right away I noticed an improvement with the fuel gauge, not to mention my long/short fuel trims (zero's across the board on WOT), no knock retard (0 degress at WOT) and the O2's are between 960-980 mV at WOT.

The needle jumped to full and stayed there until I got home, 30 miles, as it should (no jumping around). Went to work Sunday and the needle jumped to full again....very happy!

When I started her on Monday night though (3/4's full), the needle slowly went up to 3/4, where it should be. It then suddenly jumped down past empty for several seconds and then back up. Is it still cleaning and learning how to act?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'ma restate you likely have an electrical issue, 4th gen f-bodies are notorious for electrical problems.

SHell fuel already has techron in it.. So dumping crap into your tank is'nt likely to fix anything..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-27-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

PLEASE, CHECK YOUR COMPUTER FOR TROUBLE CODES BEFORE YOU REPLACE ANYTHING. I had a problem with my fuel gauge jumping all around on my "Previous" 2001 Camaro SS, this past August. The computer put out a Trouble Code indicating a faulty sensor in the gas tank. I don't remember the exact code, as it was accidentally found while trying to diagnose an A/C Compressor problem. The computer does put out codes for electrical issues. It gave a code saying the power wire to my A/C Compressor was faulty and/or broken inside the wire casing, which was the case. I totaled the car before I could get to the Gas Needle issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information