tell me about rear hatches

This is a discussion on tell me about rear hatches within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is it really just a straight forward replacement of the whole rear hatch or is it easier to replace the ...

Black
    99 Z28

tell me about rear hatches

Is it really just a straight forward replacement of the whole rear hatch or is it easier to replace the glass?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Ouch!

It would be easier for me to replace the whole hatch, but that's b/c I don't know crap about glass.

I was also under the impression it was extremely difficult to replace them. Pretty much impossible.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

WTF hit it? a baseball? you running away from the cops?? I will think it will be cheaper to just swap the hatch. You can check with a glass shop or call your insurance for a quote and compare.

Black
    99 Z28

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's only $350 to $450 (Depending on whether or not the rubber surrounding the window is re-used or not - the glass shop guy said he didn't know because it's been too long since they've done one.

It was just parked outside my apartment. It happened sometime in the last week or so. I haven't driven it in about two months. I went out to just check it out and saw that.

I've looked all around the car and can not find what went through it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a baseball. I'm guessing it was a pellet or BB with a whole lot of force behind it. Whatever it was, it went in quickly (instead of a rock or ball) because it didn't leave much of a "dent" in the window, just a hole.

Between the tint and the plastic that holds the two sheets of glass together, it's still pretty firmly on there. I'm going to pull it into the garage and strip out the interior to clean it and re-wire some things before I sell it anyway.

I'm very disappointed.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

That sucks. Looks like some kid decided to have target practice on your car.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

That's a real shame, these types of vehicles are better served locked in garages, out of sight out of mind.

SteveC

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

it's called HATERS. They can't see someone with something nice. Sorry to heard that man. I had my back windshield busted by a BB gun in my crown vic years ago. I was so pissed I couldn't trust the neighborhood anymore.

Thread Information