Thread: Tech help

black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Tech help

2000 Camaro LS1. (375HP)

I recently replaced my alternator (AC Delco) and put in a new battery last month. The car ran fine and I drove around a few days with no problems. After a week I drove to the store and noticed my "check gages" light come on again and I saw the battery level was in the red and slowly moving down. Luckily I turned around and just as I got to my driveway the car died on me. I have replaced the battery again and the car will start but the battery level is still not where it should be. I know I will have the same issue if I was to drive somewhere. Does anyone know what the problem could be? If not where should I take it to get a diagnostic, dealership maybe? Please PM me if you have any suggestions, thanks

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

If you have some basic handtools and a jack/jackstands take off the alternator and take it to an autozone/etc to have it check. Dealers will charge you out the ass to do anything. Willing to bet that the issue lies within the new alternator/wiring.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I agree with above, check the alt again, also ensure all connections are good and tight and clean at the battery and the alt.
    Why did you replace the Alt?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 SS

Check alt, grounds and take a look at cables to see if they are corroded inside.
    Sounds like it is not charging

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would go over those cables really well and look for corrosion or a loose connections. It's not unheard of to get a bad alt. right out of the box but I would check cables first.

black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I agree with above, check the alt again, also ensure all connections are good and tight and clean at the battery and the alt.
    Why did you replace the Alt?
    J

My stock alternator gave out after 125,000 miles. So I replaced it with an AC Delco.. It was hell uninstalling it and later putting it back on.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i had major issues with ACDelco. replaced my original alternator with a new ACDelco. went through 7 of them before i found the issue. the rotor inside the alternator wasn't made correctly and would walk just enough to cut the ground wire inside if i went above 5000 rpms.

your alternator has quit working. which is why your battery died and when you put a new one in the gauge didn't go above 13 volts like it should when the alternator is working. have fun. personally exchange it for a different brand or a reman version.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp i would go with another brand personaly, i havent had luck with too many delco products honestly. Bad alt's out of the box, batteries that just fall apart spilling acid all over the engine bay, etc etc...
    J

black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i had major issues with ACDelco. replaced my original alternator with a new ACDelco. went through 7 of them before i found the issue. the rotor inside the alternator wasn't made correctly and would walk just enough to cut the ground wire inside if i went above 5000 rpms.

your alternator has quit working. which is why your battery died and when you put a new one in the gauge didn't go above 13 volts like it should when the alternator is working. have fun. personally exchange it for a different brand or a reman version.

Reman is a good version?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

reman is short for remanufactured. they replace all of the electronics inside and keep the hard parts so long as they aren't broken. i put a reman on mine and haven't had ny issues since.

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GOHOME! View Post
    2000 Camaro LS1. (375HP)

I recently replaced my alternator (AC Delco) and put in a new battery last month. The car ran fine and I drove around a few days with no problems. After a week I drove to the store and noticed my "check gages" light come on again and I saw the battery level was in the red and slowly moving down. Luckily I turned around and just as I got to my driveway the car died on me. I have replaced the battery again and the car will start but the battery level is still not where it should be. I know I will have the same issue if I was to drive somewhere. Does anyone know what the problem could be? If not where should I take it to get a diagnostic, dealership maybe? Please PM me if you have any suggestions, thanks
    have you checked your ground wires? maybe they are loose not allowing the alt./battery to work properly. do you have the belt on correctly? if you got the alt. from autozone or advance auto, they sell remanufactured crap which often is bad, i bought a starter and had to take it back 4 different times because the reman. starter was bad.
    Last edited by gokillyourself; 05-20-2009 at 04:31 PM.

black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    have you checked your ground wires? maybe they are loose not allowing the alt./battery to work properly. do you have the belt on correctly? if you got the alt. from autozone or advance auto, they sell remanufactured crap which often is bad, i bought a starter and had to take it back 4 different times because the reman. starter was bad.
    I bought the alternator from X-Parts. It's an AC Delco, supposed to be better than the remans from Autozone. I'll check the grounds to see if I have a possible short.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

If it wasn't charging, you replaced the alt and it is still not charging it is a pretty good bet the problem is with the wiring.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

reread, it says he drove it for a week afterwards.

Thread Information