Thread: TCS light on

Silver
    Formula 1998 Manual

TCS light on

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was driving from the job with my car, then about 3 mins of driving, the TCS off light poped up with no reason. I tried to turn it on and off and the light was always there, strange stuff.

I wonder if it's because I washed my car with a Karcher Steamer; that machine doesn't push water too hard, but I wonder if the water jet could have tiped off a cable or broke/un-plugged a sensor, since I washed the inside of the fenders, especially the left-rear one since it was really dirty inside it.

I laso removed the MAF grill and polished it on that day but I doubt it has anything to do with that

Any advise or info about that problem? Is it frequent? First time happening to me.

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JayErnie View Post
    Hey guys,

I wonder if it's because I washed my car with a Karcher Steamer; that machine doesn't push water too hard, but I wonder if the water jet could have tiped off a cable or broke/un-plugged a sensor, since I washed the inside of the fenders, especially the left-rear one since it was really dirty inside it.
    I had the same indication after going to a car wash. Apparently the ABS/TCS module (not sure it's exact name) shorted to ground during the wash and needs to be replaced.

The service manual has a troubleshooting process but it takes the dealer service tools to run it properly. The dealer says the module is $1150 but gmpartsdirect.com seems to have it for under $700.

I'd try unplugging the wheel sensors, make sure they're dry then plug them back in - especially the LR.

Silver
    Formula 1998 Manual

Ok, i'll check the sensor at the wheels. Never checked them b4 so I'll have to lift the car and go see. NO way i'm paying 700 bucks for a new module lol If it is that, then it's gonna be a free no TCS mod at all lol

89 porche Red
    1970 Camaro RallySport

wheel speed sensors are common to go out due to water crosion creates to much of a ressistance to run at the proper voltage and it wont read at all so the light comes on but yeah u need a new one , sorry that hurts

Silver
    Formula 1998 Manual

Maybe not! The light didn't pop today! It's a hot day so I guess it was just water in the connector that was shorting it...I hope lol :crossfingers;

red
    1998 trans am

If it detects a problem but the problem clears up, the system will reset after 100 ignition cycles.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes the wheel sensors could be covered with brake dust.....I would try putting some brake clean on a rag and wiping the sensors clean. I have ran into it before on customers cars.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

It's also a good idea to clean both the male and female connectors at the wheel sensors then coat them all lightly with some silicone grease / caliper lube / spark plug boot stuff - it's all about the same and helps keep water & air out for less possibility of future corrosion.

Thread Information