Thread: TB

Black
    Trans am

TB

i want to get a TB like the BBK 85mm TB. but whats the size of my stock TB with a 01 ls6 intake mainfold

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

it's not worth it man lol. the stock unit is 75mm. Since the stock opening on the ls6 intake is 78 mm you wont really gain anything by going to a bigger tb. I say just port your stocker and do the bump stop mod (5-7hp) and spend the money on some other mod that will net you more hp.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have considered an 85mm throttlebody for mine.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'd love for someone to come on here and show back to back dyno gains by just slapping on an 85mm tb over a ported stocker. Reason being is think about it your stock intake opening is 78mm give or take and your tb is 75mm but it has a bottle neck on it. The 85mm is 10mm bigger and will be trying to cram that air down the throat of the intake which is physically impossible. I'm not saying that you cant gain anything by working on your tb because when you port the stocker you remove the bottleneck on the inside of it thus making a smooth transition and giving it the full benefit of the 75mm tb.

Again I'm not saying the ls cant benefit from a bigger tb because when a FAST is installed with a 90mm tb the gains are obvious and there's even a company that will custom fit a 90mm snout on an ls6 intake and they also show gains but as far as putting a 85mm on the stock intake? I dont think thats going really anywhere.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I'd love for someone to come on here and show back to back dyno gains by just slapping on an 85mm tb over a ported stocker. Reason being is think about it your stock intake opening is 78mm give or take and your tb is 75mm but it has a bottle neck on it. The 85mm is 10mm bigger and will be trying to cram that air down the throat of the intake which is physically impossible. I'm not saying that you cant gain anything by working on your tb because when you port the stocker you remove the bottleneck on the inside of it thus making a smooth transition and giving it the full benefit of the 75mm tb.

Again I'm not saying the ls cant benefit from a bigger tb because when a FAST is installed with a 90mm tb the gains are obvious and there's even a company that will custom fit a 90mm snout on an ls6 intake and they also show gains but as far as putting a 85mm on the stock intake? I dont think thats going really anywhere.
    It will put more air for the immediate intake, creating a 'snappier' response. I agree, the money spent may not be the best for your buck, but a manufactured Tb looks 10x better than ported and the craftsmanship is much better. Plus, in a game of inches, everything counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have considered an 85mm throttlebody for mine.
    Id like to have a 80 myself, I don't think a 80 requires the reducing adapter.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Port the stock TB. If your going with a FAST intake. Then you have to buy a bigger size.
    For an LS1/6 intake only way to go is port the stock one.
    IMO. Use that money for something else!

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    It will put more air for the immediate intake, creating a 'snappier' response. I agree, the money spent may not be the best for your buck, but a manufactured Tb looks 10x better than ported and the craftsmanship is much better. Plus, in a game of inches, everything counts.

Id like to have a 80 myself, I don't think a 80 requires the reducing adapter.
    Everyone, myself included notices snappier response with a ported TB. A bigger tb wont do anything over a ported stocker because again it cant cram that air into the intake. Its going to feel just like the ported stock one does however it ill cost 200 more lol. OP port yours and then do an underdrive pulley or something if you're all out of bolt ons.

Thread Information