Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

artic white
    00 camaro ss

tapping noise??????

i'm getting a tapping noise from my motor, and i'm not sure what it is. I think that it could be my injectors, or valve tapping. Has anybody else had this noise? what can i do about this, or how can i pinpoint this problem? I have heard that ls1 and lt1 cars have very noisy injectors.

BlackHawk T/A
    Piston slap?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you need to be more explanitive, b/c if you have anything near what i had-you're in for a ride: http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24524#post24524
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 09-09-2005 at 06:33 PM.

artic white
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    you need to be more explanitive, b/c if you have anything near what i had-you're in for a ride: http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24524#post24524
    The noise increases with rpm, but there doesnt seem to be power loss, or i just havent noticed it. I dont want to start pulling my motor apart, if it could just be my injectors. Was this tapping that you had really loud, or was it something that you really had to listen for?
    Last edited by wil2kss; 09-09-2005 at 07:27 PM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

my tapping was very loud. it would start of quiet, but once the car was in motion [after like 5 minutes] it became very loud on the outside, i could hear it echo off other cars that were next to me on the highway and shit too.

my noise was very "metal-metal" very clackity.

also-make sure you didnt have a spark-plug wire fall off...it makes the same noise as mine did. scared the piss out of me when we put it all back together and i heard the noise, only to see a miss-fireing wire dangling.

99 Firebird Formula

injectors make more of a click noise in my opinion.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by wil2kss
    i'm getting a tapping noise from my motor, and i'm not sure what it is. I think that it could be my injectors, or valve tapping. Has anybody else had this noise? what can i do about this, or how can i pinpoint this problem? I have heard that ls1 and lt1 cars have very noisy injectors.
    If you have missed any shifts I would suspect pushrods,

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6

Mine had a lifter noise that increased with rpm from the time it had 50 miles on it til I got rid of it at 29000. Mine made a sound like a card in a bicycles spokes.

CamaroSSx1999
    known as piston ping, from what ive heard... i have it to, duno if only as idle of when i drive b/c my exhaust is loud. pretty sure mines in the #8 cylinder. i think it might be a spark plug bad... changed them 2 months ago and never could get the #8 plug out. being trying to make time, but i cant get it out so im waiting for a buddie to help me, but no codes. got to remb. ls's are aluminum blocks, so u hear EVERYthing.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001nbma4
    Mine had a lifter noise that increased with rpm from the time it had 50 miles on it til I got rid of it at 29000. Mine made a sound like a card in a bicycles spokes.

DEAR FUCKING GOD, HOW COULD YOU KEEP SANE FOR THAT LONG?!?!!?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I've had that problem with my old motor. The noise increases with RPM's, it would be a bent pushrod which is common with stock pushrods. Best thing to do, take off the valve covers, take off the rockers and inspect each pushrod. Roll it on a table to check for straightness. I had about 8 bent rods and finally one snapped

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

HOLD THE BUS!

I spent about two years looking for a tap like Woody Woodpecker and it wasn't the engine at all, it was the ac compressor. Go into your electric box under the bonnet and pull the relay for the compressor while the tapping is happening. Mine vanished instantly. Usually your air con won't be working well either. Check this first.

artic white
    00 camaro ss

Talking

thanx for all the help. keepem comin.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

hey, new here guys, hoping to maybe revive this thread for a similar problem with me..........

i have a tapping that sounds like what everyone else here is stating. However, I dont hear mine till the car warms up, and it disappers under the very slightest of throttle. Also to note here, the oil pressure when the car is cold is high with no noise, AND when oil pressure goes up with slight throttle, and the noise is gone.

So, basically, at idle, with lowered oil pressure, i get a tap. I have tried a few different oils with different results. (btw, 15w50 made it sound like a diesel)

im under the impression that its a lifter. anybody else with any suggestions.

oh yeah, the car is a 2000 Camaro SS

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You bunch of fucking numbnutts telling this kid he has
    A) Bent pushrods
    B) Piston Ring gown South
    C) Bad AC Compressor
    D) Dragging his Mama behind the car.....

Son.....you ask questiuons on the internet and no telling what your gonna get....
    What fucking motor is it?
    How many miles you got on it?
    How long have you had the car?
    What oil/filter you got on it?
    What octane gas you running?
    What mods you got?

Jesus H Christ...kid could have a fucking exhaust leak and you guys got him tearing down his motor.....
    That girl Kaliente or whatever is proabaly closer than anybody here...Diagnose before shooting off all the "fixes"...........
    And kid...what in the hell is this "keep em coming" bullshit? You wanna find out what is going on....take it too a qualified certified mechanic and ask him and write a check...on the internet for free you damn well better be prepared to start from ground zero and fill us in on some "basics"....or you can have your motor all over your bedroom floor.....whichever.
    I'm a grumpy old man...but I've been doing this a long long time....

purple727
    i'm a newbie on here. have a 2001 b4c camaro. it's a former north carolina highway patrol car with the ls1. had no idea what the knock was either till the mech's there said it was common on those engines. they said.."they're just noisy like that". this car is solid black with no markings now, plain. a guy at a gas station the other day made a comment, "must have the ls1 in it, can tell by the knocking". ok...my two cents worth.

Black
    2002 Camaro

From my experience with all engines here is what I think it could be. 1 being most obviouse.
    1. Exaust leak
    2. Piston Slap (NORMAL ON LS1'S)
    3. EGR Tube leak
    4. Lifter
    5. Pushrod
    6. Valve
    7. Motor going out.

I state them in this order because I have the same noise, there is no loss of power with it which pretty much eliminates 4-7, If its an exaust leak you will be able to easily detect the round-about location of the leak. Here is your best advise... Go to Auto Zone, or whatever your local auto tool shop may be and pick up a automechanics stethascope, It will set you back anywhere between $10-$50 but its cheaper than a set of head gaskets. Use these to pin-point the noise, then you will be able to tell wether or not it is an exaust leak, lifter tap, piston slap, ect.
    Im not bagging on you directly but I cant believe how many people in this world look for the right information believing everything they see on the internet. BUY SOME TOOLS, FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, It will make you the old wise one someday of automobile knowledge.
    Dont get me wrong now.... We have these forums to help people, but I believe people are getting laisy when it comes to diagnose a problem, they want someone to tell them a answer and then they rely on possibly a f-ing moron to have the right answer.
    Anyways... Best of luck to all of us suffering from this noise... Sorry for the long post.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Grumpy old bastard the other night wasn't I
    I think the kid above here has sound good advise.....you can also use a broom handle...saw it off about three feet long...makes an excellent stethoscope....good advise son...^^^^^^
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Great news!!! I may have found a major reason why most of our higher milage LS1's are suffering from a tapping noise!!!! As I posted earlier there are many reasons why our LS1's are tapping,
    1. Exaust leak
    3. EGR Tube leak
    4. Lifter
    5. Pushrod
    6. Valve
    7. Motor going out
    But I may have uncovered the real reason for alot of us!!!! I recently added a dry shot of NOS to my LS1 and I wanted to run a little better than 125 shot, I used to be a youngen and didnt ever think about the weekest link, This time I wanted to do it right though so I first wanted to beef up my ignition. I ordered a set of MSD Multi-Spark coils for it along with a big fuel pump and 60lb/hr injectors to avoid a lean condition. I have yet to finish installing the whole thing yet but I did manage to get the coils on. (THEY LOOK SWEET but are a bitch to install) I wanted to see if there was any major difference in just the coils so I ran it through a couple of power pulls and didnt notice much except for a smoother idle and faster top-end. A few days later though it hit me..... The tapping noise had vanished!!!! I wanted to make sure it was changing the coils that did it so I took back off the #1 coil and started switching out the stock ones in its place, suddenly I came across the #3 coil and the tapping was back, I changed the coil back to the MSD and the tapping was gone again.
    I just wanted to share this info with everyone because I know how damn annoying that tap was. I will be reposting this as a new post so its sure to be vied by many as possible.
    Anyways to all..... Glad I could be of some help.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris
    Great news!!! I may have found a major reason why most of our higher milage LS1's are suffering from a tapping noise!!!! As I posted earlier there are many reasons why our LS1's are tapping,
    1. Exaust leak
    3. EGR Tube leak
    4. Lifter
    5. Pushrod
    6. Valve
    7. Motor going out
    But I may have uncovered the real reason for alot of us!!!! I recently added a dry shot of NOS to my LS1 and I wanted to run a little better than 125 shot, I used to be a youngen and didnt ever think about the weekest link, This time I wanted to do it right though so I first wanted to beef up my ignition. I ordered a set of MSD Multi-Spark coils for it along with a big fuel pump and 60lb/hr injectors to avoid a lean condition. I have yet to finish installing the whole thing yet but I did manage to get the coils on. (THEY LOOK SWEET but are a bitch to install) I wanted to see if there was any major difference in just the coils so I ran it through a couple of power pulls and didnt notice much except for a smoother idle and faster top-end. A few days later though it hit me..... The tapping noise had vanished!!!! I wanted to make sure it was changing the coils that did it so I took back off the #1 coil and started switching out the stock ones in its place, suddenly I came across the #3 coil and the tapping was back, I changed the coil back to the MSD and the tapping was gone again.
    I just wanted to share this info with everyone because I know how damn annoying that tap was. I will be reposting this as a new post so its sure to be vied by many as possible.
    Anyways to all..... Glad I could be of some help.

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind telling me where you got the coils and what part number. I see all kinds of coil sets for sale from MSD, but sinc eyou had success with what you installed, might as well try that exact same thing. Thanks again!

Thread Information