Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

TA wont start...

Posting this for my neighbor who is a cool guy, he is having problems, asked me for help cuz he knows I also have an LS1, told him I would check with the "pros" on LS1.com this afternoon. Sorry if this post gets winded, im going to try and give all the details he gave me.

Neighbor has a 01 TA, and was going to get it out of storage for a spin in the nice weather. So, he went over to the storage where the car is parked yesterday, started her up and let her run up to temp to make sure everything was as it should be and wipe the interior down a little, etc. No problems, he said it started right up and ran smooth as silk up to operating temp before he shut it off.

Today, he goes over on his lunch break intending on swapping his DD for the TA, goes to start her up, and gets a couple of those dreaded clicks, but it does start, but was just running ROUGH, barely even staying running until it died a couple of seconds later when he tried to feather the gas a little. He tried to turn it over again, just clicks, no turning over.

He leaves it on a trickle charge with automatic shutoff all the time when its in storage, so I dont understand why the battery would be dead. I dont think the battery would be an issue anyway once it started. He says the only thing he can think of that may have caused a problem is that he did detail his engine bay yesterday (w/some armor all and water on a damp rag), but he said its something hes done in the past with no problems, and he didnt touch any electrical components or anything.

Anyone have any ideas for him? I don't know what to tell him, he is stressed the hell out about it right now, he has been absolutely blowing me up at work for the last hour. Last, its pretty much a stock M6, motor has just a lid and catback added.

Sounds battery related to me, the rough running was probably the PCM trying to relearn the idle. I'd bring the battery somewhere for a free load test.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Sounds battery related to me, the rough running was probably the PCM trying to relearn the idle. I'd bring the battery somewhere for a free load test.
    agreed.....sounds like a battery issue. Another thing he can check is the terminals for corrosion and make sure they're not loose. Sounds like his battery is probably just shot though.

Onyx Black, M6

I relayed this information to him, he was relieved. I think he was expecting something much more drastic. He's going to run his battery over after he gets off work, hopefully that takes care of it for him. Thanks guys...

hypo yellow
    2002 vx ss

Check battery voltage should be over13v check for sticking starter motor

Onyx Black, M6

it looks like the battery was just shot... he came by my place revving the living hell out of the thing about 20 minutes ago, smiling from ear to ear. thanks again guys...

Thread Information