Thread: T-stat

Black
    2000 Trans Am

T-stat

Has anyone replaced their t-stat in a 2000 ta? Simple to do but who in the world came up with the whole t-stat housing combo, guaranteed to have been some fresh out of school engineer at GM. Went to dealer expecting to pay 10-12 bucks and left with 40 dollars less in my pocket, and list was 57.00 can't imagine having to pay someone to put it in also.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I replaced ours back in March -- also my first experience with this type of thermostat. Usually the housing starts going to crap in a hurry on most cars, so having a new one probably isn't a bad thing.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

prabably, just wasn't expecting the price ya know.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I put a 160 in mine last year, along with a drain/fill for the radiator. Easy and I like the lower temp. while driving.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

its a simple install less than 5 minunes average time with a radiator drain while you're in there you can change out your fluid dexcool . it starts to cause problems anyways with aluminum parts near the end of its sluggy life after 60k it turns muddy dont listen to everything gm tells people 150k miles without changing it ha. but anyways a new thermostat is a smart idea if you want a 160 degree hypertech thermostat with the aluminum neck pm me if u want it .

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

I heard Directly from a Gm General manager out here in las vegas( i went to school with him) that its common to replace the stock thermostat with a lower degree one and when Slp came out with the first one they wanted to make money on them so they included a Aluminum neck with them till the 2005+ Corvettes started using shotr necks with a higher flowing Water pump that only needs a Shorter Aluminum( because of deminision issues to make the c6's corvettes engine bay look more cleaner)

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    its a simple install less than 5 minunes average time with a radiator drain while you're in there you can change out your fluid dexcool . it starts to cause problems anyways with aluminum parts near the end of its sluggy life after 60k it turns muddy dont listen to everything gm tells people 150k miles without changing it ha. but anyways a new thermostat is a smart idea if you want a 160 degree hypertech thermostat with the aluminum neck pm me if u want it .
    With proper maintenance, Dexcool won't give you ANY problems.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    With proper maintenance, Dexcool won't give you ANY problems.
    Yes indeed Good Sir that just the case why i was like change out the fluid while you are in there. I remember there being a case with grand ams and grans pris they wee blaming the dexcool on there gasket problems but every grand am and grand prix that i personally took apart they had crappy gaskets to begin

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes indeed Good Sir that just the case why i was like change out the fluid while you are in there. I remember there being a case with grand ams and grans pris they wee blaming the dexcool on there gasket problems but every grand am and grand prix that i personally took apart they had crappy gaskets to begin
    Yeah , thats been my experience also.
    No need to call me sir, makes me feel super OLD...

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Well its just something i like to do to show my respect to moderator as some people aleays demand things from you guys/gals but if u want ill stop lol . did u get the pm i sent u what have u done to that wicked ws6 Formula ?
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-05-2009 at 11:51 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not to get too far off topic but we've debated the dexcool issue before on here a time or two. GM has several engines that just love to blow gaskets and leak no matter what liquid is in there. Grand prix's, grand am's, and anything with a 4.3L in them are near the top of that list. I think I had 80k on mine with I drained the dexcool and everything looked great in it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well its just something i like to do to show my respect to moderator as some people aleays demand things from you guys/gals but if u want ill stop lol . did u get the pm i sent u what have u done to that wicked ws6 Formula ?
    Well, I appreciate the respect and thank you. PM sent back you moments ago

Black
    2000 Trans Am

supper easy install and the dex that came out at 110k looked very similar to what i put back in. My dad runs a garage and he sells recycled dex that is pre mixed for 2.50 a gallon but i couldn't bring myself to put it in, figured no more than i needed, 12.00 for a gallon not mixed wasn't too bad for extra peice of mind.

Thread Information