Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was it swapped?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

was it swapped?

Ok so i didn't know what to search for to find this info so i thought I would post this question up to the experts.

I just noticed that in 2006 pictures of my car there was only one cable attached to the throttle body... obviously the throttle cable. When I look under the hood today there are TWO cables on the throttle body. What LS1 application had 2 cables? I'm starting to worry that this low mileage beauty had an engine swap :-( I had thought that auto equipped models had two cables but a search turned up pics of auto equipped models with only 1 cable. Right now I'm at work so I have my father putting the car up on ramps to get the number off the block so I can compare it to my vin.... this is really freaking me out. I spent two years looking for the perfect bird and now it might not be so perfect..... Other notes for those paying attention I sill have the EGR line into the TB so even if it's a swap its a pre 01 swap. what applications had 2 cables off the TB pre 01????

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

that other cable is your cruise control...

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

lol ya im pretty sure its your cruise control

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

why would most LS1's i've checked in pics not have it? Also why would my car not have it in pics from 2006 and have it now? did a lot of F-body's not have cruise control?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Exclamation

Ok i'm home and i'm looking like crazy around the block for the derivative vin and can't find it stamped anywhere. Also i think i can explain a little better what is missing. on every other f-body i've seen the throttle cable runs from the TB to the passenger side of the car into some sort of contraption then another cable runs from that over to the drivers side of the car where i assume it meets the user input device or what some may call the "gas pedal" heh.... anyway that contraption which i'm guessing is part of the cruise control.... is missing entirely from my car. the contraption i'm talking about sits right behind the battery on the passenger side and has the throttle cable running to it. in older pics of my car it's there and the car only has one cable and now.... it's not there and the car has two cables.....

I really want to find the derivative vin and decode it to see if this is indeed my engine. I want to put this mystery to bed and crawling around on my back with a light and a mirror is not my ideal way of spending the evening. Please someone help me find where the vin is stamped and or etched on the block so i can go out and enjoy my numbers matching.... hopefully.... firehawk

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It might depend on whether the car has traction control and cruise. My car has both and only has 1 cable at the TB.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    the contraption i'm talking about sits right behind the battery on the passenger side and has the throttle cable running to it.
    That is ASR aka the traction control unit

black
    2007 F-150

I think it was either swapped or they just made some modifications that could be the reason why it has 2 cables in it. Usually cars has a traction control and cruise control. It depends on the manufacturer if they will put in on one cable or in 2 cables. For you to verify this one, you need to contact your car dealer. He knows the answer.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm completely lost for the most part in this thread......

You looked at pictures of YOUR car from 2006 and they're different from what it is now? Did you own the car in 2006 and if so did someone sneak in there and change it? The "contraption" is like cutlass said.....it's the traction control. Does your car have traction control or did it have it in 2006 before the secret swap??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

LOL I've owned the car for a month. I need to investigate further... I may have over reacted to the pics online. I just remembered that there was a WS6 in this photoshoot as well, although only in 1 pic that also included my car. He may have snapped it's engine rather than mine for whatever reason since both cars were the same color. If it's confusing as to how i have such old pics when i only have the car a month.... its a firehawk... its on SLPregistry and Firehawkowners.com

black
    01 SS

sounds to me that the cruise control might have quit working, and they put a cruise control on it off of a 01+ car.. my car has two cables, and no box behind battery.. cruise works great.. so i really wouldnt worry if it was me, because i think it makes the car look alot cleaner under hood, with it gone.. just my .02

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'm 90% certain that the picture I spoke of was of the previous owners NBM WS6 engine. I can only see the corner of the air box but it does not seem to have the same sticker as mine. From looking around it seems that Firehawks and TA's had a black sticker with no pontiac logo on it. Mine has a big bold Pontiac Ram Air sticker on it.... certainly some kind of sticker shenanigans at least as i can see where the old sticker used to be.

These cars all seem to have "stories" like when I was changing out my shocks because i "thought" they were going bad, I say thought because the DeCarbons I pulled out were super super stiff and rebounded nearly instantly. Anyway, I noticed that they had likely been out of the car before. The washer over the shock isolators were covered in scratches and the foam that rests in between them and the carpet was missing on the drivers side. Leading me to believe that a previous owner had a nice suspension setup then put the stock stuff back in when it came time to part with the car. When I had the car up I noticed bare metal in the wheel well with some seemingly dented metal.... leads me to believe someone had a little too much fun at a burnout contest with my baby.... explains why a seemingly immaculate low mile firehawk has a noisy rear end thats covered in grime....... looks like i have a lot of stuff to tend to this summer lol.

Still this was the strongest feeling TA that i test drove and with low miles exclusivity and a good price how could I have said no?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

It's also possible they had 315's on the rear and had to massage the wheel wells to make them fit.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Nah it's not quite dented like that. just the inside rear wheel wells by the axle at the lip in there. some bare and starting to rust metal and the tar like lining is peeling off around there... well obviously since there is bare bent metal to rust lol. i gotta take care of that before my car gets cancer..... I had a lincoln that wouldn't rust no matter how much metal was bare. i had some pretty bad spots since the paint was garbage on that car...... and all those bare spots never rusted even though i didn't touch them up for years!!!! I guess I sort of am a Ford guy but i'd be lying if I said I don't smile every time i even catch a brief glimpse of my hawk.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

OOO Dude- you live in NYC hahahah. That car is prolly 5 different wrecked junkers welded together hahahahah!!!

J/K!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have an 01 Z28 A4 (Sara), I do not have traction control, and I have 2 cables from the TB, one is the accelerator, the other the cruise control.

SteveC

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

It's actually not funny!!! before I bought this one I went to go see what I thought would be my dream car... a 2002 pewter silver WS6 with a 6M. I got there and it was a little rough but seemed alright. I test drove it but it didn't feel even as quick as my Mark VIII was.... i look around it and finally get on the floor to look under it..... ummmm hey guy..... why is the back half of this car blue underneath???? Oh yeah btw the car was two cars we welded together thats why it has SFC's.... gee could've told me that before i came down here thanks....

This car is not a NY car i'm the first owner registered in NY it was "born" in florida and lived there till 2006 when the previous owner bought it sight unseen for quite a bit of money. He had it shipped up to CT where he kept it garaged and babied for 3 years. Since he recently got his hands on a 99 WS6 convertible he decided to let the Hawk go and thats where I came in. After seeing that one Frankenbird I learned to check these over nearly down to the molecular level.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    It's actually not funny!!! before I bought this one I went to go see what I thought would be my dream car... a 2002 pewter silver WS6 with a 6M. I got there and it was a little rough but seemed alright. I test drove it but it didn't feel even as quick as my Mark VIII was.... i look around it and finally get on the floor to look under it..... ummmm hey guy..... why is the back half of this car blue underneath???? Oh yeah btw the car was two cars we welded together thats why it has SFC's.... gee could've told me that before i came down here thanks....

This car is not a NY car i'm the first owner registered in NY it was "born" in florida and lived there till 2006 when the previous owner bought it sight unseen for quite a bit of money. He had it shipped up to CT where he kept it garaged and babied for 3 years. Since he recently got his hands on a 99 WS6 convertible he decided to let the Hawk go and thats where I came in. After seeing that one Frankenbird I learned to check these over nearly down to the molecular level.

I hear ya man. Did you find anything out yet? Keep us posted!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

to answer original post...one or 2 cables depends on whether or not the car has traction control.. Me and Spikito investigated this when we were test driving a ws.6 for him. I remembered mine had 2 cables, this one only had one. My ws.6 had no TC, so both cables run to TB--traction control cars you'll notice that both throttle and cruise control cables run to the TC module and then there is only one cable that runs from it to TB. That's all. So your car does not have TC. no biggie

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

well I just think that the photo I saw of the "engine" in 2006 was really just his WS6 vert with TC. both cars were NBM so it would be easy to use one as a stand in for the other. The gallery was supposed to be only of my car but I guess you can't really fault the guy for using what was likely the cleaner engine to represent the car online. BTW the car is running great as I catch up on all the routine stuff that I have no records for. Oil, filters, injectors etc, I love driving it and today I just went out on a whim and drove like 60 miles. I can't get enough of this car. It's a dream come true.

Thread Information