stupid question, before i (maybe) cause any more damage

This is a discussion on stupid question, before i (maybe) cause any more damage within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; okay so here it is and i feel like an idiot for asking, but i dont know where the best ...

NBM / EGM
    02 WS6 6m / 97 Tahoe 2dr

stupid question, before i (maybe) cause any more damage

okay so here it is and i feel like an idiot for asking, but i dont know where the best place to be jacking up the front of my ws6 is. i have been using the front sway bar, but i feel like its starting to bend under all the weight. of course im just using a regular floor jack since i have no lift or anything. i've been doing it this way for over a year now and i dont want to screw up that paper thin sway bar until i opt for a new one. If anyones got a better place on the underside to jack it up, please let me know
    02 T/A ws-6, ls1 6m, umi 3pt sfc, spohn strut tower brace and tunnel brace. more to come

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

I always use the lower control arms... and a set of drive up ramps would be a good investment,, cuts down on all that jacking up.... worth the 30 bucks... imo

yellow
    2004 gto

get some ramps man. i have to slide a piece of wood in front of the ramps cause the ramps are to steep. just a thought. but if you are trying to get the wheels off the lower control ares are the best for the front. just use common sense and a good strong place for the jack.

my brother is bad about these kinda things too. he used my truck and a strap hooked in the hole for the hood latch in the radiator support, he messed his support up pretty good pulling his car out of the snow.
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 07-07-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

you have a couple of options, it depends on your jack. If you have a low profile you can use the K-member to raise both wheels. Make sure you are in the center of the K member and raise it smoothly. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't slide off. The other option is right behind the front wheels. There is a spot that has the frame coming out of the body. I slide the jack as far towards the tire as I can while keeping it on the frame rail. I have just enough room to put a jack stand there to. If you need pics I'll try to find something.

Most ramps are not long enough to be used. You can use them like jsmith564 stated as long as you use something to extend the ramp length like WOOD (not would... just teasing jsmith564)

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

If you look at this pic, on the right side of the photo you will see the frame I was referring to. This is where I jack the vehicle at.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...5&d=1265762385

NBM / EGM
    02 WS6 6m / 97 Tahoe 2dr

yeah, i have the ramps its just a problem when i want all 4 wheels off the ground, just to have it level-- changing the oil, for example.. i use the ramps as much as i can but i needed the car elevated and level the other day when i was checking the gearbox and the rear diff levels and it was a disaster, since i can only get the front up first then i can jack up the rear to level it out. smws6ta the link you posted isnt working it just goes to a blank page - i want to see the place you're using under the k member maybe i can use that, the jack is old though and id have to say its not very low profile. hobo freight's finest

yellow
    2004 gto

hey scott you have never drove you car on some would man? better get you some, that shit is amazing.. ahhh hahahaha, my bad.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you use a floor jack, DO NOT jack up the front of your car on the lower front fender bolts. That will buckle the front fenders for sure. I agree with all the above.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I always use the subframe rails.

White
    2002 Trans Am

I couldn't get ramps to work with my stock bird no GF. Even with wood the front end is just too low. I don't like jacking at the pinch weld either. I never thought of the K member...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

K member FTW. Under the front, center. From the side, the frame rail/reinforced section, behind the front tire. In the back, in front of the tire where the LCA connects.

Thread Information