Strong oil smell in Z/28

This is a discussion on Strong oil smell in Z/28 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I posted a few weeks ago about a strong oil type smell in my Z when the windows are up. ...

Aluminum/Silver
    2002 Z/28

Strong oil smell in Z/28

I posted a few weeks ago about a strong oil type smell in my Z when the windows are up. I got a few responses about a service bulletin regarding oil in the ventilation system and how my dealer should be able to take care of it.
    After waiting 9 days for a return call I finally contacted them again and they say they cannot find any bulletin regarding this problem. Apparently it happens on s-10 trucks also. anybody out there with any experience with this situation PLEASE!!!! respond. I described it before as almost a blowby smell. Car is 2002 Z/28, M6, with 36,000.

red
    99 z28 camaro

ive got the same prob thinking its a bad vac hose or something well any info would help thks

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, I dunno about the way the HVAC in an F-Body is designed, but I had an oil smell in my car last winter. Then my "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" light tripped on my odometer. I scanned the car when I got to work and turned out my oil pressure switch was reading low output. I replaced the switch and the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" light never tripped after that. And the oil smell went away as well. Or...maybe it's coincidence?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Have you added a breather to the valve cover or modified the PCV system in any way?

Aluminum/Silver
    2002 Z/28

Question

I have done no modifications to the car but I remember reading something about Z06's having a modifided pcv system or something. Could this possibly just be a plugged PCV.

joefish

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by joefish2112 View Post
    I have done no modifications to the car but I remember reading something about Z06's having a modifided pcv system or something. Could this possibly just be a plugged PCV.

joefish
    What modifications are done to the car? Bolt-ons?

Aluminum/Silver
    2002 Z/28

Oil Smell

I have installed a Flowmaster cat-back within the last two weeks. This is the only change from stock besides tires and routine. ( Have original tires ). I bought this car after a 2 year search because I could speak to the original owner and discuss the condition of the car. Of cource 36,000 for 13,500 was a very good price in Green Bay. Comps well over 16000. But not moving.

The exhaust install does not seem to have changewd situation.

No suprise, it is more of an oil smell.
    Did not ask previous owner about smell because I did not drive the car that much (windows open ). Due to respect (and hindsight stupdity) threw out #.
    THANKS

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

I checked all of the service bulletins and did not see one for oil smell. Typically this is caused by crankcase venting due to excessive blowby or PCV trouble. First step is to start the car, remove the oil filler cap and see if you have a slight vacuum.

Thread Information