stripped Nut

This is a discussion on stripped Nut within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hello guys I was trying to instal a strut bar right now, and one of the nuts is stripped is ...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

stripped Nut

hello guys I was trying to instal a strut bar right now, and one of the nuts is stripped is there any way i can get it out? so far ive on trying to remove it, im just about getting ready to cut that mofo out of there with my dremel.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Maybe I'm having a brain fart here but can you elaberate more on what a strut bar is.....?

Are you speaking about a strut tower brace that goes from one side to the other and is secured to the strut with 3 nuts per side..............
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Visegrips the WONDER TOOL!

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Visegrips work ok on bolt heads, but not so good on nuts. Because they squeaze the bolt inside the nut.

These damaged nut removers work good. Find someone that has some you can borrow, or buy a set.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...mover&sLevel=0
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ya go to Sears and buy the "bolt out" kit.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

i went today unfortunately they are out of stock.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Gator grip!!!!!!!! Bitches.
    $19.99 plus $5.95 shipping and handeling.
    Billy Blanks will deliver it personaly.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you strip the threads or round off the corners on the nut? It sounds like you just rounded off the corners. I'd personally give vice grips a try and see how far you get and if not I'd try some of the other stuff these guys recommended. Hopefully it's not the inside nut on the drivers side because then working room becomes a problem.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    did you strip the threads or round off the corners on the nut? It sounds like you just rounded off the corners. I'd personally give vice grips a try and see how far you get and if not I'd try some of the other stuff these guys recommended. Hopefully it's not the inside nut on the drivers side because then working room becomes a problem.
    If you did just round off the corners on the nut, find the next size smaller socket (metric usually just a whisker under SAE / or vice-versa) and smash it on with a hammer. That sometimes works. If the nut is truely stripped, and the bolt still turns freely- I've taken a right angle grinder and cut through the nut one side, turn the bolt a full half turn, and cut through the other side of the nut. Smash off the broken halves of nut and remove bolt.... just a couple of things that have worked for me in the past. But I agree with Orion, space constrictions limit your options.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

vice grips? are those pressure plires? i oredered a bolt out kit from sears, but i wouldnt mind owning some vice grips.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Unfortunately yes it is? and i got so pissed off i started over turning it probably caused it to go round but as we speak my bolt out kit is no the mail so this weekend im taking another shot at it. ill just go buy some replacement nut at home depot.

Thread Information