streetablility

This is a discussion on streetablility within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so i bought my 1998 trans am with a blown ls1. im about to buy a 1998 camaro wrecked for ...

silver
    1998 trans am

streetablility

so i bought my 1998 trans am with a blown ls1. im about to buy a 1998 camaro wrecked for the motor and part out the rest of the car. but while im using that stock motor. i recently purchased an ls1 standard bore block ross 387 forged pistons, stock crank, and a set of 243 casting heads. im gonna order a set of H beam rods for a lil add'd protection, 85mm intake & throttle body. #38.8 injectors, a .563/.568 lift 112 lsa cam, decent set of rockers and a set of hardened 1 piece pushrods that im not sure what length they need to be. anyways im running all that with a 3000 stall and a set of 3:73 gears. can this be daily driven and what kinda mileage do yalls suppose ill get out of it? any other ideas will be greatly appreciated. and it will have a 150 shot on it but im not sure how much it will get used.

- Scottie dont

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

rest of the specs on the cam (duration)? sounds like it would be very streetable. Are the heads ported if so what are the flow numbers, or are they stock 243? There is alot of guys running ported heads in different stages with a cam that is 232 and under (duration) pulling around 400rwhp and few with more that daily drive them. depends on how much comfortability you are looking for, I am sure it wouldnt feel like a cadillac but I wouldnt much care for that myself I would rather have the lopey cam to shake the car a little at stop lights. Also I would recommend getting a larger stall, you dont necessarily need it but you wont regret it, perhaps ported ls6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain. I think the stock pushrod size is 7.4", hope that helps.

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

In my opinion, drivability is in the eye of the driver. I would drive my Chevelle daily if I could, except for possible the gas mileage. Car is a ~600hp BBC/M21 4-speed with Centerforce clutch and no power steering. Clutch is more of a race clutch (either in or out, can't really slip it). Without DR's, it will break them loose at any decent amount of throttle, in any gear, at any speed (did it 20mph in 4th). But I would consider it for a daily. If it starts everytime, I would drive it daily.

And I wouldn't guess that the mileage would be too good.

Chris

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've got a baby TR224 cam with long tubes and 4:11 gears. Car is very streetable but still only gets average 16mpgs.

silver
    1998 trans am

hmmm ok screw it. i want a bigger cam. lets say around .598/.608 area i mean if i have a 3000 stall why not make it needed right? i need more cam options

Quote Originally Posted by scottie dont View Post
    hmmm ok screw it. i want a bigger cam. lets say around .598/.608 area i mean if i have a 3000 stall why not make it needed right? i need more cam options
    Why the 3000 stall? That's small even for a stock LS1, much less a cammed one. You should look to something a little looser, in the 3600-4000 range. I put 150-200 miles/week (rain, snow, shine, it doesn't matter) on my car with a similar setup (over 400rwhp DynoJet) on a 3600 stall, and get highway mileage that is comparable with a stock car.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

stall will lock up at 45mph so no loss on highway mpg.

silver
    1998 trans am

hmmm can i get a stall around 4000 that has good street manners? since this is my first build with an ls1 im just trying to get everything figured out.

- Scottie

Quote Originally Posted by scottie dont View Post
    hmmm can i get a stall around 4000 that has good street manners? - Scottie
    While it is common, and recommended for the LS1 to go with a looser stall than a traditional SBC buildup due to its powerband, 4000 would be about the max for streetability. Now I know someone with a 4400 will chime in saying their car does just fine, but they're lying or just misinformed. Heavy stop and go traffic will suck with anything much larger than a 3500.

Thread Information