Strange rattle after going WOT(Possibly internal)

This is a discussion on Strange rattle after going WOT(Possibly internal) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; First off, my 01 A4 T/A has 65k miles on it. I rarely get on it(maybe once every three days). ...

Silver
    01 T/A

Strange rattle after going WOT(Possibly internal)

First off, my 01 A4 T/A has 65k miles on it. I rarely get on it(maybe once every three days). Anyways, On the way home from work I was toying with a late model(what sounded to be a blown) Mustang. I went WOT(Wide open throttle), everything was fine until an unusual hesitation at the shift. After slowing down for traffic I started to hear a strange rattle from the engine bay.

Anyways, was close to home so i popped the hood and the noise seems to start around 1500rpms and gets louder and louder the higher the rpms. I can't tell if it is coming from the rear of the Intake or the passenger side head. I cannot pinpoint the location. It sounds as if a small bolt is rattling around internally. Oil pressure is good....

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Phox; 12-18-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Signature
    01 T/A

Pacesetter LT's (Catless), ORY, AIR & EGR mod, SLP Lid, Predator tune, Magnflow exhaust, Koni SA's, Brembo brakes, Hotchks springs, Eagle F1 GSD3's, MSD wires

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I have this exact noise. Though i hear mine at idle. Ive always explained it as sounding like a loose bolt somewhere. Mine went away for a couple of weeks though after i seafoamed it, then it was back to the same.

Silver
    01 T/A

Still open for suggestions...The noise is driving me crazy. Inside the car it sounds like a really bad exhaust leak, but under the hood it sounds like something rattling around inside the head. or more like a loud ticking....

Everything still seems normal, not throwing any codes and all the power is still at my foot.

BTW, I have a Diablo tuner, is their anything I could possibly check using it?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Have you got on it hard again? Could have broken a valve spring. I would pull the valve covers and check em out.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Maybe alil piston slap?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If its piston slap it would go away when the car got hot (oper temp) in most cases.
    It would also sound worse at cold start.

Silver
    01 T/A

It doesn't really sound any different regardless of the circumstance, and yes I have gotten on full throttle since this problem started. Last time i got on it was probably a day or two ago...No change

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you are still concerned pull the covers.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Is it full of oil?

Silver
    01 T/A

Pulled off the passenger side valve cover( Definitely in the vicinity of where the sound is coming from) and their didn't seem to be any problems visually.... Oil level is good as well..

One thing i did notice was a small pool of liquid around the third injector back...Most likely rain water after opening the hood, because it had no smell, then again i do have a cold. This was the only place i saw any liquid, of any kind anywhere though.... I'll check that again in a few days.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

The only other thing to do {that I can think of}would be get a stethascope(kind of like a dr uses to listen to your heartbeat but made for a car)-this way you can pinpoint the noise. I hope its definately coming from the top end. Good Luck man.

Silver
    01 T/A

Thanks for the advice guys...Just a quick update. I ran half a can of seafoam through the brake booster vaccum line and the noise has seemed have gone away, plus throttle reponse seems better as well. After running the seafoam the car only smoked for a few seconds, so i assume my internals were pretty clean. I'm pretty adimate about changing my oil every 3-5k miles....I heard the noise on cold startup this am for only 30 seconds or so and it went away...Hopefully my problem is remideed....

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Hopefully it doesnt come back like it did for me

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would like to seafoam my engine but I read some posts where people actually caused their car to run worse-I dont know but shit like that worries me- I dont need any problems.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my first thought was a broken valve spring except you said it seems to running pretty normal right? Rule out any heat shields rattling. This is one of the noises that it would help to be able to hear. When you had the cover off on that side did you check the rockers to make sure one ain't loose?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

If the sound comes back I would pull the push rods and check for bent ones. Could have bent one slightly causing a contact knock but may not be toatly visable unless you roll them on a table.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by aeroengineer View Post
    If the sound comes back I would pull the push rods and check for bent ones. Could have bent one slightly causing a contact knock but may not be toatly visable unless you roll them on a table.
    good call, that one completely slipped my mind. Perhaps the unusual hesitation was the rev limiter?

Thread Information