Strange Problem just happened

This is a discussion on Strange Problem just happened within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Strange Problem just happened

Ok I have a 2002 T/A WS6 A4 and the SES light was on and I know why, it is due to an O2 sensor just never got around to change it. Anyway the strange problem I just had was I was at Walgreens fixing to leave when I started my car and after it started it quickly killed but started right up and when it started the second time the battery gage would fluctuate a lot and it would sound like it would kill but when I started to move and drive down the road everything was fine, and the SES light went off, what could be causing this to happen, does or did anybody have this problem? Also I know itís time for a tune up as well but I am waiting till I can get me some long tubes and change all that at one time.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'd start by checking rhe battery terminals, you may have a loose or corroded wire terminal. Was your belt making any noise?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You could also check the fuel pressure at the rails. The fluctuating alt could have been from the car wanting to stall.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the input ill check the battery terminals here in a little while when I do my HID install, how do you check the fuel rail to see if the pressure is right? Also my belt does make noise but only when it get wet due to rain I need to change but need to order the Goodyear gator back belts

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Use a fuel pressure guage on the schrader fitting right on the rail. You should see around 58 psi. If it's lower, start by checking/changing the fuel filter.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Also, you say you have the SES light on for a bad O2 sensor. Do you know if it is for the front or rear? If it's for the rear, it's nothing to worry about. If it's for the front, I would suggest getting it changed as it controls the air/fuel ratio for the car.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The alt could be going, were the lights dimming down when it was near stalling?

Is the battery dead as we speak?

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I just checked the battery terminal and the positive terminal is a little loose but wonít tighten up so I think it might be striped so that means new optima red top lol, I donít have a fuel pressure gage so I will have to go rent one from oíreilly tomorrow and test that, that Schrader fitting is that the port with the green screw top on the driver side of the motor? If it is the fuel filter where and how hard is it to change? No I am not sure if it is the rear or front O2 sensor I canít check it again now because the SES light isnít on, my alt is still brand new I just had a new one put on a few months ago, and no the battery isnít dead still has life lol

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Fuel filter is easy, however, you need a special tool to remove the quick disconnect connection. A pair of wrenches for the otherside of the filter.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Well thatís good I like easy lol, where is the fuel filter located? Also would you know the name of this special tool to remove the quick disconnect connection, and finally is there a better or more recommended fuel filter than the OEM one?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by superhuman85 View Post
    Well that’s good I like easy lol, where is the fuel filter located? Also would you know the name of this special tool to remove the quick disconnect connection, and finally is there a better or more recommended fuel filter than the OEM one?
    It's back near the gas tank. I don't know the name of the tool, just tell the autoparts store you need a GM fuel filter disconnect tool and they'll know. Google "GM fuel filter tool" if you want to see what it looks like, I have the 2 different sized "x" looking tool. I haven't looked into fuel filter's in a long time, I don't think there's much difference between them. It's more important that it gets changed than what kind it get's changed with.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I don't know if they changed after 98's but I don't need the special tool to get the fuel filter out. I need a 2 wrenches or a flare wrench with another wrench. The other side has a clip that you get out by squeezing the tabs. Be carefull as some fuel will drip once you remove the filter. Here is a picture of what you are looking for:

Red
    2001 Z28 Camaro

I believe my filter has a standard threaded flange on one side thatcan taken off with a wrench and on the other side a GM fuel line flange that has a tool that disconnects it. I've never used the tool, I usually disconnect using a flat head screwdriver.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

OK well thanks ill look into getting the tool if I need, and also thanks for the pic that helps a lot just one more question about that which side the car is the filter on? And another question is if anyone knows how hard is it to change the float that tells you the amount of gas in the tank? Because when I come to a stop after about 30 seconds it drops all the way to empty and when I press on the gas it goes back to normal

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the schrader valve for checking fuel pressure is on the very end of the drivers side fuel rail....there's a cap that screws off The green cap is for the evap system. Your problem sounds electrical to me...either a battery or an alternator issue....sounds more like a battery issue.

Thread Information