Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Strange clank from the rear

Every time I go around a right hand turn and hit even the slightest bump, I get a metallic clank from the right rear of my 00 Z28. I am assuming it must be suspension based, like a missing bushing, a missing rubber bumper or a shock absorber that is bumping on something. Anybody ever experience this before?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Need to get it up on jack stands or lift. Go over all of the suspension parts. Could be a loose bolt to bad bushings. 14 yr old car might be time for some poly upgrades.

I would focus on the right LCA, PHB and even pull the spring to look at the shock insulator that is located between the spring and the car body.

A missing or bad bump stop would only effect you on hard suspension compressions like a hard launch or pot hole.

One more thing to also check is the u joints on the drive shaft to the rear. Just to be safe

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Depending on what exactly the sound is (sounds are hard to describe, and even harder to interpret on a message forum), I would ask whether you have bolt-in subframe connectors.

A few thousand miles after the install of my SFCs, I would get a "metallic clunking" sound anytime I turned a corner or when I first accelerated from a stop (espcially when starting up the car first thing in the morning). I checked the torque on my SFCs and they were not all the way torqued down. I tightened them up to spec and they have been silent ever since (over two years now).

Based on some other threads I've read on the forums, it could be a non-suspension realted component, as well (such as chassis bracing or just a mounting point for some other component that has lost a bolt or had one/some bolts back out, etc).

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Strange clank from the rear

Get under there and inspect EVERYTHING. Could be suspension-related to exhaust-related.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah go under and report what you see. Something like that could really be anything. Take pics too if you suspect the culprit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stock lower control arms? Have they ever been removed? Can you narrow down closer to what area it sounds like it's coming from? Right behind you? To the right? Under your seat?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Like Rich posted, don't rule out the exhaust. It gets pretty tight where the mid-pipe goes up over the rear axle.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Depending on what exactly the sound is (sounds are hard to describe, and even harder to interpret on a message forum), I would ask whether you have bolt-in subframe connectors.

A few thousand miles after the install of my SFCs, I would get a "metallic clunking" sound anytime I turned a corner or when I first accelerated from a stop (espcially when starting up the car first thing in the morning). I checked the torque on my SFCs and they were not all the way torqued down. I tightened them up to spec and they have been silent ever since (over two years now).
    Based on some other threads I've read on the forums, it could be a non-suspension realted component, as well (such as chassis bracing or just a mounting point for some other component that has lost a bolt or had one/some bolts back out, etc).
    This is the reason why you should use Loctite on the bolts.

I used red Loctite on the bolts of the sub frame connectors and never had a problem with the bolts loosening, it has been over 12 years now.
    Last edited by SteveC; 02-11-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Thread Information