Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Stock Fuel pump/module going out???

I need some tips on a new fuel pump/module for my 2000 SS w/ 98,xxx. My problem is that the engine is rotating but not starting. We did a fuel pressure test and the the pump gets to about 60 p.s.i. but then it drops. From what the repair manual says it should hold the pressure so i am guessing it needs a new pump but I have heard of this problem being caused by a clogged fuel filter or bad spark plugs. I am going to take ito a shop to get a second opinion. Any tips on what it could be and what is a good brand of fuel pump thats worht the price. THANKS!!!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

i have also heard of it being caused by leak in fuel line or a problem with fuel rails

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I would change the fuel filter first, the re-test just to be sure. If it is still droping i would just replace the pump. where are you getting the pressure from (fuel rail)?

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

My car did the same thing last week...just replaced the pump saturday and the car starts up fine...I have always been told to go with w GM Pump as the aftermarkets do not last...There more money but in the long run it may be better. What is crazy is my car is 95...original pump lasted 14 years! Whos says GM doesnt make good quality lol.

I would do the filter just because its cheap but thats a rare case you would have seen issues before completely not starting...like hesitation and stalling in some cases...if you never change plugs and wires it might be worth that too..My car has the driver side plugs and wires in now and its still on lift as the passenger is a BITCH (LT1)

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

How many PSI are you losing when you stop cranking? 60 PSI is good but if the pressure drops below 50 PSI it's no good. Do you hold pressure after an initial drop? Could be a leaking injector.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

could also be the hose to the pump in the tank. Those have been known to come off and keeping it from holding pressure. More than likely though it's the regulator which is part of the fuel pump module. Pretty sure I've seen where people have just replaced the regulator but I would probably go ahead and do the whole pump since they're prone to failure. Expect to pay through the nose to have it done. I've seen anywhere from $800-$1100 to have it done. The pump is ~$300 so if you wanted to tackle it yourself ( which really isn't as hard as it sounds) you can save yourself some serious cash.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ya i did my own and just cut the hole in the trunk. took me about an hour and a half.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for al your help, when i get the car back form my bud's shop ill let you know the issue.

Thread Information