Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

stock 03 5.3 needs help with towing.

This is a discussion on stock 03 5.3 needs help with towing. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jeffz0rz negative. i'm assuming i need to attach a gauge to the end of my fuel rail ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jeffz0rz View Post
    negative. i'm assuming i need to attach a gauge to the end of my fuel rail and turn the ignition on ? thats how it was done on my old f-150 atleast. if it was my fuel pump, would it just quit working, or would it slowly go out ?
    yes, you're correct on how to check it. The pump could die either way really. You could just lose pressure or it could quit working altogether. If it quit working altogether you wouldn't hear it prime when you turn the key.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What rear gears do you have in that?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Exact symptons of the fuel pressure regulator going bad. It bleeds off pressure after sitting. 99.9% sure that's your prob. At least they are under the hood on these trucks.....

white
    2003 gmc sierra

a regulator huh ? if the truck sits for a while , hour or 2, it will crank and crank till it sputters and runs. any way to check the regulator ?

i have no idea what gears i have. what ever stock gears are. i do like to 4x now and tehn. would towing gears effect my 4xing ?

white
    2003 gmc sierra

fuel pressure regulator is located where ? i'm hearing that this is the most likely issue with the hard starts.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

http://www.carspartsguide.com/part74649.html

^^^^^^ What it looks like but you may find it cheaper. Can't miss it on DS fuel rail.....Just bleed off fuel pressure and it's a piece of cake.. Only a clip holds it on......

Be glad you don't have one of the older ones where have to pull the intake!!!!!!!

white
    2003 gmc sierra

wow. that things is freakin small. and for eighty bucks ?! outch. yeah i found it. i really was looking for something alot bigger. figure i can grab one from my locam autozone or somethin. thanks for the help !

white
    2003 gmc sierra

anychance ther might be a better regulator out there ? or are they all the same ?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffz0rz View Post
    anychance ther might be a better regulator out there ? or are they all the same ?

Glad to help. Haha yea $80 for a little diaphram! Not sure if one is better than the other but I usually rum GM stuff. A lot of times I have bad luck with the "house" brand stuff..........

white
    2003 gmc sierra

how important is that screen filter that came with the new regulator ? for some reason, it wont fit with it, but fits just fine without it. the oldone has a screen and 2 o rings. the new one has the same o rings, and a new screen but wont go all the way in with it. any ideas ? can i run it without that screen? im assuming the fuel filter would be catching anything from going into the fuel rail anyways. im thinking the injectors are more apt to becoming clogged that the regulator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information