Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Formerly a '95 Z-28

Still sitting on the SVT/SLP fence

OK, so I'm looking at a summer cruiser/speed demon. Likely a ragtop. On one hand I can lean towards a late model GM ram air with the superior front suspension, bigger motor (higher power numbers stock and higher gains), higher resale, the hurst T-56. On the other hand, I like the Cobra's IRS, the handling, the build quality (overall as well as the hand-built 281), the brakes, and (in most cases) the higher value. I'm a sucker for driving for the sake of driving, and often suffer/enjoy my superiority complex of the open road. (I'm sure many of you know what I mean. ) I'm also a proud driveway wrenchhead and am skeptical of accessing much of the LS1 keeping in mind how tucked into the car it is.

I've owned a 95 A4 Z28, followed by a 94 Mark VIII (280 hp 4.6L 32v DOHC) so the vehicles aren't totally foreign to me, though it's been years since I traded in the Mark. I'm also considering the E36 M3 and any other comparable rwd manual shift performance convertible that can be had for $20k or less, preferrably a 2+2 seater.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by izackary
    OK, so I'm looking at a summer cruiser/speed demon. Likely a ragtop. On one hand I can lean towards a late model GM ram air with the superior front suspension, bigger motor (higher power numbers stock and higher gains), higher resale, the hurst T-56. On the other hand, I like the Cobra's IRS, the handling, the build quality (overall as well as the hand-built 281), the brakes, and (in most cases) the higher value. I'm a sucker for driving for the sake of driving, and often suffer/enjoy my superiority complex of the open road. (I'm sure many of you know what I mean. ) I'm also a proud driveway wrenchhead and am skeptical of accessing much of the LS1 keeping in mind how tucked into the car it is.

I've owned a 95 A4 Z28, followed by a 94 Mark VIII (280 hp 4.6L 32v DOHC) so the vehicles aren't totally foreign to me, though it's been years since I traded in the Mark. I'm also considering the E36 M3 and any other comparable rwd manual shift performance convertible that can be had for $20k or less, preferrably a 2+2 seater.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Damn tough choice there, a 01 or 02 ls1 can do the trick thats for sure, but the termintator cobras are sick(03/04), but since youve never owned a forced industion car I would reccommend the cobra, a pulley swap and a tune and you will shit you pants from what I hear, hell I cant wait to get a pulley and a tune on my Lightning
    Last edited by ZAPFOOL!!; 02-01-2006 at 05:21 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The name of the forum is LS-1,I mean I welcome an open and honest discussion from people but seriously -what is a Ford truck guy doing here?I raced a Lightening truck before on the street-he didn't have anything on my virtually stock Z-28-the cobra's are cool but pump up the boost and how long does it last?

Formerly a '95 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    The name of the forum is LS-1,I mean I welcome an open and honest discussion from people but seriously -what is a Ford truck guy doing here?I raced a Lightening truck before on the street-he didn't have anything on my virtually stock Z-28-the cobra's are cool but pump up the boost and how long does it last?
    OK, so how bout you openly and honestly discuss my topic?

Where in the terms and conditions does it state members must own an LS1?

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by izackary
    OK, so how bout you openly and honestly discuss my topic?

Where in the terms and conditions does it state members must own an LS1?

Exactly, Just because I have a Lightning doesnt mean Im not an Ls1 fan, but needed a truck at this point in time, and I cant think of better performance for the price in a truck, and a cobra with last a loooong time on a pulley and a tune.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A lot of the GM trucks have LS series engines in them ,get one and talk about that here.What I'm saying is besides this guy with the Ford truck how many people are going to recommend the ford on this forum, I'm not going to recommend it.What I mean is- by all means have anybody that wants to talk about stuff here do so.It's a free country-but I reserve the right to give the ford truck guy a little good natured ribbing along the way-deal with it.

Formerly a '95 Z-28

There are other forums where you can rib ford guys...ie: Domestics & Foreigns, Almost Anything Goes...

Deal with it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The LS1 engine seems MUCH easier to wrench on to me than that Cobra engine stuffed in there.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It's not as hard as it looks to wrench on the F-body engine compartment,like any car once you get in there and work on it a few times it becomes easier.And thank you for the suggestion to go look for more ford guys to give a hard time to-I need to network my hatred-(jk)

Formerly a '95 Z-28

bwahahahaha!!!

My DOHC in my Mark wasn't that difficult to wrench on, though it had the TB in the rear of the motor and i had to pull the intake tube off any time i had to 80% of my motor work...which also meant pulling the cowl, which meant pulling the wipers off...but maybe that's also a wider engine bay.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Ohhhhhh no it's LS1.com, ohhh no we can't get along with a lightning guy
    Erick is cool, we all respect him and his lightning.

To be honest I only recommend SVT if you go 03-04 cobra or if you go with a lightning. That said, it's all about the pocketbook and what it's worth to you, you can pick up an LS1 Z or t/a fairly cheap in comparison. You also lose the prestige and respect you can get with a 03 or 04 cobra or a lightning. whatever you choose, good luck to you
    I have no complaints about working on my LS1, you had an LT1 and to be honest I prefer working on my LS1 over my old LT1 anyday, I really think it's a little easier after having owned both so you shouldn't be getting any worse than what you are used to

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Modulars sound better

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I guess that's why mustang guys always rev up their engines next to me at the stoplight-I thought they were checkin to see if it was still running

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I guess that's why mustang guys always rev up their engines next to me at the stoplight-I thought they were checkin to see if it was still running

On the mustangs your are probably right, my truck usually gets revved so that I can hear it whine

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

In my case I'm a GM guy-but if you were looking at it as which car to buy from a non-biased point of view-I think you have to consider the cost factor as being important to most people.And the Lightning and the Cobras were very expensive to buy new compared to the Z-28.I couldn't have considered either one of the Fords or the Camaro SS for that matter because of the cost-I got a fully loaded Z-28 for $thousands less and have been loving every trouble free mile for over 4 years.

Silver
    '02 WS6

You wont find a Cobra for $20,000 unless it has alot of miles. I had two '03 Cobras and the insurance was higher than my '05 Vette I owned. The transmissions are always going out and they are expensive unless you have a warranty. I did the pulley,headers,tune, and all that crap which brought the horsepower up to 475 hp at the wheels on a dyno. I go to the track and only run a 12.7 on stock tires. Sure I would have done better with slicks, but then the axle would break. I know guys that put $15-20k in these cars and still very rarely get into the 11's. The car is just that heavy. You put that kind of money in an Fbody, your gonna fly. Not only that, they don't make the Fbody's anymore. The '03-'04 Cobra's look old now because of the new body style that's out. I get more looks in my WS6 than I got in my '05 Vette. If you can get a good deal on a SS or WS6, you'll probably have a better resale value than a Cobra. Your choice!

1966 Corvette Coupe

ok well in the $20k range without getting some higher mileage cars your gonna be looking at 99 or 01 cobras and pretty much any ls1... i think stang drop tops look better... yeah yeah yeah i know but i think they do... and my buds cobra would be much easier to work on... i mean pop the valve covers off and there are the cams... the spark plugs are located right down the middle of the valve covers... and ther is room around the motor... last time i popped an ls1 hood i couldnt slide my hand down too the spark plugs... oh yeah and the motor comes out of the car... not the car comes off the motor...

umm the ls1 is faster stock for stock... stangs sound much better... honestly i think you will enjoy either... only thing is new edge cobras are m5s... and the irs needs some work right from the factory... my friends clunks pretty hard under hard driving...

if you can find an 01 cobra with like 30k on it for like $14k or $15k i dont think you will like it anyless than an ls1 car... mod motors really wake up when you strap a supercharger on them... im an ls1 fan... but thats because im a naturally asp fan and there is more potential in an ls1 that way... and come on ws6 t/as are friggin sweet...

see whcih one you you can get cheaper... take that one...
    Last edited by predator; 02-03-2006 at 07:10 AM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

being as that the 03-04 cobra engine was built to take boost, it will last quite a long time on a pulley and tune. theres plenty of owners running 21 lb kenne bell twin screw blowers on the stock long blocks. if your considering a 03 cobra and ls1 fbod i say go for the cobra, if your considering an 01 cobra and ls1 most defintely get the ls1.

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

im happy to see even chevy guys the only fords worth giving much of a look to are the later SVTs

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Just wanted to throw a number in here-my 29,000 mile 02 Z-28 blue books for 16,800 private sale. My zip code is 63303.It's almost fully loaded great condition.And not for sale-lol.

Thread Information