Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Still sitting on the SVT/SLP fence

This is a discussion on Still sitting on the SVT/SLP fence within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 02 Z28, and I give plenty of respect to the newer cobras. The older body saleens are ...

Silver
    2002 Z28

I have a 02 Z28, and I give plenty of respect to the newer cobras. The older body saleens are not what I expected. But for the price that you can pic of a used LS1 for nowadays you can get one and buy yourself a nice ATI procharger since ur a wrench head. The engine is not that hard to work it, i just hope you dont like your knuckles lol.

orange
    99 z28

I'd say the mustang, they sound mean as hell and got the balls to back it up. not to mention they look damn nice - i wanted a blue/green chameleon 03 cobra, but it was a little too much $$$. So i did what you might want to and bought the ls1, which i'm a little angry at. i won't know how angry until i pull apart my engine and see how much damage. but i'm angry, and the ls1's are hard to work on, i have large everything, i'm 6'4, so that tight little bay is a bitch and a half for me. but its so fun to drive, fast as shit

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    The name of the forum is LS-1,I mean I welcome an open and honest discussion from people but seriously -what is a Ford truck guy doing here?I raced a Lightening truck before on the street-he didn't have anything on my virtually stock Z-28-the cobra's are cool but pump up the boost and how long does it last?:thumbdn:
    are you joking.....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by cartert75
    are you joking.....
    Are you? Pump up the boost on any engine and you reduce reliability.There are always trade-offs to increasing performance.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28
    I'd say the mustang,i'm angry, and the ls1's are hard to work on, i have large everything, i'm 6'4, so that tight little bay is a bitch and a half for me. but its so fun to drive, fast as shit
    Huhh, much more room to work on an LS1.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

Having the LS1 is awsome, and the WS6 look is still modern, the mustang looks as if it has aged. I've got a 3.8 with a blower, supercharger vs. NA both are cool, the supercharger is much easier to mod (cheaper pulley/tune/cat back). Also you have to remember an engineered system only puts out boost under load, when the cruise is set on 60 there is no boost. Two factors i would consider looks and cost, in my opinion the WS6 or SS win hands down on mustang looks.

Are you? Pump up the boost on any engine and you reduce reliability.There are always trade-offs to increasing performance.
    you need to check the facts, 03/04 cobra motors are running 15-20PSI all day long without a problem.

you know the motor is forged right....

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    Huhh, much more room to work on an LS1.
    lol....

I thought that too. I remember it taking quit awhile to change my spark plugs on my Camaro.

its a 30 minute job on my cobra, with a bathroom break.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by cartert75
    you need to check the facts, 03/04 cobra motors are running 15-20PSI all day long without a problem.

you know the motor is forged right....
    forged/heavy

forged/heavy
    lol...here we go. 250lbs heavier than a Z28, with 50-70 more RWHP. that makes up for the weight arguement.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The forged components don't add a considerable amount of weight, its the iron block Ford chose for durability and lower cost compared to the reinforced aluminium block they made for the GT. The block, blower, intercooler and associated mess do add up to more weight.

But stock for stock, the 03+ cobra definitely has the upper hand. Then throw $1000 in mods at each one and see what happens.

I love my LS1, but I know the late cobra's are fast cars too.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Im bias , but I have to add the L in there too

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    The forged components don't add a considerable amount of weight, its the iron block Ford chose for durability and lower cost compared to the reinforced aluminium block they made for the GT. The block, blower, intercooler and associated mess do add up to more weight.

But stock for stock, the 03+ cobra definitely has the upper hand. Then throw $1000 in mods at each one and see what happens.

I love my LS1, but I know the late cobra's are fast cars too.
    Fast cars yes-but stock for stock the Cobra cost $6-7 grand more than my Z-28 in '02.Throw the $1000 at the Cobra/$7-8000 at the Z-28.Which one's got the upper hand then?The alloy LS-1 is a reliable block up to about 700 hp.,then your better off w/the iron LS series or the CR-5 block.So that offsets the forged argument.

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

test drive both and make the decision yourself...I know as soon as I test drove an L I was sold

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Another thing I've noticed-the mustang mod motors have to be revved high to get the power out.It's a very different power band.The powerband for the LS-1 is more even throughout the rpm range-the mod motor is all up high.The end result is the F-body feels stronger in everyday usage-it's easier to get it to run hard.With the LS-1 you feel like you can skip gears tooling around town-with the mod motor you don't feel the power until it gets wound up.The power is there-it's just harder to get to it unless you're really trying.As suggested-drive both and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Another thing I've noticed-the mustang mod motors have to be revved high to get the power out.It's a very different power band.The powerband for the LS-1 is more even throughout the rpm range-the mod motor is all up high.The end result is the F-body feels stronger in everyday usage-it's easier to get it to run hard.With the LS-1 you feel like you can skip gears tooling around town-with the mod motor you don't feel the power until it gets wound up.The power is there-it's just harder to get to it unless you're really trying.As suggested-drive both and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

maybe on the 4.6

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Fast cars yes-but stock for stock the Cobra cost $6-7 grand more than my Z-28 in '02.Throw the $1000 at the Cobra/$7-8000 at the Z-28.Which one's got the upper hand then?The alloy LS-1 is a reliable block up to about 700 hp.,then your better off w/the iron LS series or the CR-5 block.So that offsets the forged argument.
    you're right about that - the price to get into the cobra is more expensive. purchase or mod, money is money

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

of the two ...the LS1 is the better deal.....but if you have some time..the cobra prices will drop with the GT500 coming out

good point there.

i paid $26K for my 02 SS (11Kmiles) in 2003 and bought my 03 cobra in 05 (with 3400 miles) for $26,500.

cost me almost $7K to get my SS into the 11's (11.8@117) (reliably). Cost me $1500 to get my cobra to run 11.5@124MPH....

so i guess there are sweet deals and not so sweet deals...

Tom

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Not to dispute what someone else went through-I've seen Z-28s get in the mid 11s with nothing else but suspension mods,headers,and a tune.I can get the GM Hightech Performance article if anybody wants to see it.It was a girl driving it and an automatic.She was really good at suspension set-up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information