Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Angry still leaking...?!?!

allright, so i just replaced the rear main seal, rear cover gasket and oil pan. did everything by the book, RTV were it needed to go, and torqued everything to spec. i also replaced the o-ring on one of the oil sensors above the starter. the top of the motor is all dry, so i know its not the OPSU, valley cover or valve covers. but some how the starter bolts are getting wet....maybee its just from the wind blowing around, but the most oil is still concentrated between the engine and trans. am i missing something? it did go a day without leaking after the repair, then sure enough, its back. suggestions please??

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKr61MFwJM[/ame]

-hope the video works, never posted one before. its under the car while its warm and running, notice the oil bubbling out between the engine and trans...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

same problem here. Im not sure what to figure out. it sucks, all the work to take the oil pan out and it still leaks...

blue
    1999 TransAm

mine leaks/drips from the same general area.. though i haven't looked while the engine is running.. i've had most every seal replaced recently, w/ exception of the oil pan and anything on the front (timing cover/front main?)...

i've also noticed it seems a lot of folks on here have been talking about oil leaking problems lately... some suspect crankase ventilation., ...but, for me, i replaced my whole PCV tubing/valve back in the winter. i don't know if a certain amount is leakage is "tolerable", given the age or what????

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You guys are scaring me -- I picked up a new oil pan gasket Friday for our car. I may just have to do a thin film of RTV on both the rail and pan. Everything above the rail is bone dry and it appears the very back rail is where our leak is concentrated.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

I run the ls6 valley cover with a catchcan, so ventilation should be perfect. Should be.... car has 87,000 miles and all bolt ons. So do I change the pan gasket again? Or the rear main again for the 3rd time???
    LS1, SLP lid, SLP MAF, bilstein HP shocks, SLP longtube/tuned headers and loudmouth exhaust, built 4L60E w/ transgo shift kit, true ram air, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS6 PCV w/ catch can, FAST fuel rails, LCRB, sub-frame connectors, wide-band O2.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

I did use GM gaskets...is there another company that makes better quality oil pan gaskets and rear main seals? Also, do yall think its possible my crankshaft is out of balance, causing it to wear through the seal?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sutie View Post
    I did use GM gaskets...is there another company that makes better quality oil pan gaskets and rear main seals? Also, do yall think its possible my crankshaft is out of balance, causing it to wear through the seal?
    I was going to mention that. If you are installing the seal correctly and is still leaking from t
    he RMS then yes it is possible that the crankshaft is wobbling.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would be more inclined to guess that the alignment is off on the rear cover plate. The plate needs to be centered in the hole for the rear main seal. There is a special tool for doing this, however, it can also be done manually.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would be more inclined to guess that the alignment is off on the rear cover plate. The plate needs to be centered in the hole for the rear main seal. There is a special tool for doing this, however, it can also be done manually.
    hmm didnt knew this. good info.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Are you talking about the rear cover that holds the rear main on? Please elaborate more...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes, the rear cover that the seal is pressed in to. I can scan in the page from my service manual tomorrow -- to tired to mess with it tonight.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Yes, the rear cover that the seal is pressed in to. I can scan in the page from my service manual tomorrow -- to tired to mess with it tonight.
    Well it can only go on one way...are u talking bout how the seal presses into the cover? Is there a special way to do it, I just hammered it in...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

Sutie i feel yer pain mines leaking around back of pan i believe, just leavin it for now.
    i know exactly the cover he's talkin about check all my posts on oil leaks youll find pics and all explaining exactly wat cover were talkin about and detail.
    My question to anyone would be why why why was it ever needed or designed?

Well it can only go on one way...are u talking bout how the seal presses into the cover? Is there a special way to do it, I just hammered it in...

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Sutie i feel yer pain mines leaking around back of pan i believe, just leavin it for now.
    i know exactly the cover he's talkin about check all my posts on oil leaks youll find pics and all explaining exactly wat cover were talkin about and detail.
    My question to anyone would be why why why was it ever needed or designed?
    Oh I know the cover too, I pulled it off to press on the new seal, and replaced the gasket for it too. Although I couldn't find the torque specs for it, called GM, they couldnt even find it, so I went with 20ftlbs I think, same as ls6...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

Sutie i swear there were pics of this tool their talkin about on my old oil leak post and the cover its basicaly a G.M. alignment tool that basicaly will center the pan exactly around the crankshaft end by means of dowels or bolts into crankshaft ect and then the pan can be cranked down with cover exactly centered so as the seal will be centered around the crankshaft and that cover..If you removed this cover to replace the gasket gaurantee eason yer leaking is cause the cover is not exactly centered around the crankshaft end for centering the rear main seal.
    It aint the cover leakin not the pan is my guess.
    Oils going on outside of cover leaking between bellhousing and back of engine where B.H. bolts to engine where no gasket is.
    So basicaly from the rear main seal got it????

Oh I know the cover too, I pulled it off to press on the new seal, and replaced the gasket for it too. Although I couldn't find the torque specs for it, called GM, they couldnt even find it, so I went with 20ftlbs I think, same as ls6...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Cool

One thing im figuring is that a leak from where B.H. and engine meet can be either from the r.m.s. and or back of main engine oil pan gasket.
    Seems the seepage ends up in the same place like just between the b.h. and back of engine both end at outside of cover and outside back of oil pan and down between the b.h. and back of engine oil pan

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    same problem here. Im not sure what to figure out. it sucks, all the work to take the oil pan out and it still leaks...

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Sutie i swear there were pics of this tool their talkin about on my old oil leak post and the cover its basicaly a G.M. alignment tool that basicaly will center the pan exactly around the crankshaft end by means of dowels or bolts into crankshaft ect and then the pan can be cranked down with cover exactly centered so as the seal will be centered around the crankshaft and that cover..If you removed this cover to replace the gasket gaurantee eason yer leaking is cause the cover is not exactly centered around the crankshaft end for centering the rear main seal.
    It aint the cover leakin not the pan is my guess.
    Oils going on outside of cover leaking between bellhousing and back of engine where B.H. bolts to engine where no gasket is.
    So basicaly from the rear main seal got it????
    hmm...well i guess ill have to research that allignment tool, order all new seals and try it again....damn this sucks! all i want is for no leaks for a weekend so i can take her to the track....

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

seals are new id just remove the tranny loosen the cover and center it with alignment tool.
    i doesnt look like the leak is too bad though id drive and monitor how much of a leak and probably dont even redo it.
    At least not right away maybe if its really leaking like a quart every 300 miles and makin a mess then well maybe.
    Yeah this design i don't know ,hope leak aint too bad after all that work.

hmm...well i guess ill have to research that allignment tool, order all new seals and try it again....damn this sucks! all i want is for no leaks for a weekend so i can take her to the track....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like that may be the problem then -- a misaligned rear cover. A few more installation tips:

1. Make sure that you lubricate the seal lip with clean oil prior to installation.

2. Apply a very thin film of Ultra Copper RTV around the outside edge of the seal before installing it. And I mean very thin.

3. If you are tapping it in with a hammer be very gentle and carefully work your way around the circumference.

4. Try a different brand seal -- the last one I did was in an LT powered Corvette and there was a marked difference in the one that came out versus the one that went in.

5. Be sure to inspect the crank journal surface for nicks, gouges and scratches as they will cause the seal to leak.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Sounds like that may be the problem then -- a misaligned rear cover. A few more installation tips:

1. Make sure that you lubricate the seal lip with clean oil prior to installation.

2. Apply a very thin film of Ultra Copper RTV around the outside edge of the seal before installing it. And I mean very thin.

3. If you are tapping it in with a hammer be very gentle and carefully work your way around the circumference.

4. Try a different brand seal -- the last one I did was in an LT powered Corvette and there was a marked difference in the one that came out versus the one that went in.

5. Be sure to inspect the crank journal surface for nicks, gouges and scratches as they will cause the seal to leak.

thanks for the tips, now for #2...are you talking about putting rtv on the rear main before pressing into the rear cover housing....and outside meaning facing the tranny?

Thread Information