Black
    1999 Trans Am

Steering wheel radio controls for 99 T/A

I've got a 99 T/A and the leds on the steering wheel are out on one side, does anybody know how to change the light on it, i dont know if the plastic button just pulls off but I dont want to break it. But if anybody knows it would be greatly appreciated because it looks funny with just one side glowing. Also I dont have the stock radio so my buttons dont even work with the radio I have in it and I have heard about something you can buy to make it work with a different radio but I dont know what it is, if anybody knows what I'm talking about or how to make it work please let me know thanks.

Camaro

I have a pair of radio buttons I'll sell you. $60.00 shipped they cost over $200.00 from GM. Let me know if you are interested.

lsgun1
    Just gently pry the whole button out of the wheel itself, there will be a little harness connecting it in back, disconnect it. You'll notice there is 3 tabs holding the actual button faces onto the backing which houses teh circuit board. Carefully seperate the 2 pieces (the paint on the buttons chips easy so be careful) After doing this you will see the circuit board right in front of you, there is a tiny scew holding it to the housing, take it off and remove the board. You'll notice the little light bulb on the board, it is soldered in so you will need a solder gun to head the solder and remove the bulb, after doing this take the bulb to a local radio shack and find the bulb that matches, make sure you get a 12v or it will blow right out. Solder the new bulb in and your good to roll.

As for the aftermarket item to make the wheel controls work with an aftermarket deck I believe it is only for Alpine head units, you will need to do some searching for that.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Cool thanks alot for the replies. Now I just have to see if one of my friends have a solder gun.

Black
    02 Z06

man I'll need to do this in the spring. I'm afraid too though lol

lsgun1
    If you know how to solder it's easy. The hole will get clogged with solder though which can be a pain, just use a toothpick to clean it out since it won't stick to the solder.

Thread Information