Steering Rack / Battery help

This is a discussion on Steering Rack / Battery help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am replacing my steering rack (amongst other fun things I have to replace while I have it in the ...

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Steering Rack / Battery help

I am replacing my steering rack (amongst other fun things I have to replace while I have it in the air) and I've heard that either it's one of the easier things to do on the TA or I've heard complete horror stories from the two bolts holding the rack in place. Any opinions, suggestions on this? What are any good methods of getting the rack bolts out and replacing them in a manner it won't be a super ridiculous hassle again?

AANNDDD!!!

My battery is a mess. It has a ground extension with an additional extension on top of it to reach the post ... I don't know if this is operator error on the guy I bought it from but it looks absolutely ridiculous (AKA there is literally three feet of extension cable zip-tied together). What would be a good battery that would not require 67 feet of extension cable?

Anything would be much appreciated

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

since my son and i finished my rack last week,unless you raise your motor you wont get the bolt out.We cut mine and replaced it upside down with some loctite.Also make sure you have the right rack,my son worked on the car for over an hour trying to make it fit,then we called the shop and they said they exchanged for the exact 1,needless to say it wasn't and they just rebuilt mine and gave it back to me.I changed my tie rods while i was doing and put greaseable tie rods.good luck

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

We had to cut mine as well, only one bolt though. And after getting the rack out discovered it is the wrong rack so joy! I found a GM number so hopefully that will help find the right one. I also discovered that both tie rods and my left front caliper piston boots are totally shot. Any idea on if you can get caliper "rebuild" kits maybe?

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

i rebuilt my frt calipers.i picked it up at gm,a little pita trying to get the rubbers to seal,but take your time and you'll get it.don't forget you need 2 rebuild kits per side.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Thanks for the heads up on the caliper info, im gonna check out getting some piston boots tomorrow

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I ended up with the wrong rack, new tie rod ends and just bought a new caliper. I dont know why its so hard for people to search a part number, even at parts.com, to realize there is a superceeded number or just wipe away the grime on the rack to see the part number. I had to lift my engine about three inches and remove my alternator but that made it easier to put a new serp belt and o2 sensor in so its all good!!!
    I still have not resolved my battery issue tho.

Thread Information