shiman

Steering after small accident

Hi everyone, I own a Holden VT commodore and over the weekend I slid sideways in the rain, I tried to correct it but swung too far the other way and basically at the end I went sideways into a gutter (the front, left tyre hit the cerb)

The only visual damage at the time I could see was the rim was all scratched, but after driving it for a while ive noticed steering issues. It doesn’t feel the same as it did prior to the accident and after I do a hard turn to the right, when I wish to straighten up I have to force the wheel slightly more (previously it would smoothly go straight)

Upon closer inspection today I’ve noticed the front left tyre doesn’t sit perfectly in the arch. When the wheels are straight the tyre should be central in the arch but it is slightly closer to the rear of the vehicle (basically the wheel sits closer to the door, rather then being central)

The vehicle also veeres left now if you take your hands off the steering wheel, (it used to be pretty ballanced and go nearly dead straight)

My question is… will a simple wheel alignment fix the problem? Or are there other issues that are more causeing this that I should know about?

Also are there places that can repair/repaint scratched rims? Do these places exist or do I have to buy a new rim?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Well, I think it's obvious that the alignment is now off, but the question is why?

If you think the wheel is obviously not located as it should be, there's a chance that the LCA or another component was damaged. Usually, I would assume the weaklink would be one of the tie rods or the adjusting sleeve. That would only affect the toe and centering of the wheels. It sounds like your problem may be more serious. If you are not trying to repair it yourself, I'd suggest getting to a good suspension and alignment shop soon.

Good luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

shiman
    Thanks for the quick reply hammertime, hard to say what the problem is exactly from my description I guess.
    Is it worth getting a wheel alignment done first and hope that that fixes the problem? or if it IS something more serious and i get that fixed would I then have to get another wheel alignment done again after the fix?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes, if there is any damage that a simple alignment doesn't fix, you will more than likely need an alignment after the fix.

I would find a reputable shop and explain to them what happened. A good suspension tech should be able to identify whether or not the LCA or its mount have been damaged. Could be a bent cross-shaft that the bushing mounts on also.

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

i slid in teh a gaurd rail in my old civic and it was very very hard to steer,
    teh teath in the rack and pinion bent.

shiman
    I just rang up a tyre+auto place they said its most likley the front strut.
    If thats the case this is a perfect time for me to get the car lowered as I can just replace the struts ones designed for lowering

See how we go I guess. Thanks for the help guys I will keep you posted.
    Hopefully thats all it is,

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

sounds like the lower control arm bent backwards. which would explain the closer to the rear of the fenderwell and the pull to the left now.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

shiman
    Yer thats what i was thinking too... guess i'll have to wait and see what the damage is when its up on a hoist i suppose.

Hmm...

With a scratched rim, are there places that sand back the scratches and spray them with that alloy silver stuff?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes, there are places that can fix wheels. just have to look for them. or, you can do it yourself. sand it with 80, 150, 320, 400 grit paper. then find some paint and brush it on.

Black
    Holden SV8

Quote Originally Posted by shiman
    Hi everyone, I own a Holden VT commodore and over the weekend I slid sideways in the rain, I tried to correct it but swung too far the other way and basically at the end I went sideways into a gutter (the front, left tyre hit the cerb)

The only visual damage at the time I could see was the rim was all scratched, but after driving it for a while ive noticed steering issues. It doesn’t feel the same as it did prior to the accident and after I do a hard turn to the right, when I wish to straighten up I have to force the wheel slightly more (previously it would smoothly go straight)

Upon closer inspection today I’ve noticed the front left tyre doesn’t sit perfectly in the arch. When the wheels are straight the tyre should be central in the arch but it is slightly closer to the rear of the vehicle (basically the wheel sits closer to the door, rather then being central)

The vehicle also veeres left now if you take your hands off the steering wheel, (it used to be pretty ballanced and go nearly dead straight)

My question is… will a simple wheel alignment fix the problem? Or are there other issues that are more causeing this that I should know about?

Also are there places that can repair/repaint scratched rims? Do these places exist or do I have to buy a new rim?

Try ajax wheels for repairing that rim, in moorabbin I think.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It'll be a bent lower control arm,they always bend first in an accident like that on most cars. You will likely be able to see it on the lift by looking at both sides and comparing. Of course it'll need an alignment after that.

Thread Information