Black
    98 Trans Am

Angry The "stealership" strikes again...

I swear...I knew better, but without dragging it out (and runnin' up my blood presssure again!), I took the T/A to a local dealership to have the driverside window motor replaced. I couldn't do it at the time for health reasons. They talked me into replacing the regulator (even though it was fine) also to get the 12 month "GM warranty", otherwise it would be 30 days for just the motor...!

Welll the wife drives it most of the time, and after about 2 months, when you put the window down, it would "free-fall" 6 inches then go down. Took it back, and wadaya' know...that "new" regulator took a $hit...right at the "X"! They replaced it and all was well...until the waranty expired...! Now it's doing the old "couple of inches/stop" routine, so I'm like, fukkit...this time I'll fix it myself.....

In checking things out, I notice two things amiss: The front of the door panel seems to have been rubbing the side of the dash where the fuse pane is...two...the top back half of the glass when you put it up jams into the t-top....wtf??? I take off the panel...the "genius" never got all the "clips" into the damn holes...no way he could not have known, and the upper limit stop for the rear of the window is missing (if it had fell off, it would have been at the bottom of the door as it's nowhere else to go)...unbelievible!!!

I never went back as I know they would argue the point (and I will NEVER buy a thing there again...I already talked 3 potential customers into going elsewhere!!), so I fixed the panels myself (luckly, the "hooks" didn't break when I straightend them out), but the "nut" part of the stop is missing, and I'm told by GM parts the "nut" or "bumper part (that the bolt screws into) is sold as part of the rear channel, and the rear channel is no longer made!!! WTF!!!! The bolt you can still get ( it's actually the same bolt thats used to bolt on the hood). I swear, GM is it own worst enemy!!

Anyways, short of a junkyard, anyone know where, or have that part (nut), or know what the hell it looks like, or is made of/substitute??? Any bird '93 up is the same. Thanx.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It might be a pain but take apart the pass side and see what is missing. Maybe take a pic so we can see what it is.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by IronBird View Post
    I swear...I knew better, but without dragging it out (and runnin' up my blood presssure again!), I took the T/A to a local dealership to have the driverside window motor replaced. I couldn't do it at the time for health reasons. They talked me into replacing the regulator (even though it was fine) also to get the 12 month "GM warranty", otherwise it would be 30 days for just the motor...!

Welll the wife drives it most of the time, and after about 2 months, when you put the window down, it would "free-fall" 6 inches then go down. Took it back, and wadaya' know...that "new" regulator took a $hit...right at the "X"! They replaced it and all was well...until the waranty expired...! Now it's doing the old "couple of inches/stop" routine, so I'm like, fukkit...this time I'll fix it myself.....

In checking things out, I notice two things amiss: The front of the door panel seems to have been rubbing the side of the dash where the fuse pane is...two...the top back half of the glass when you put it up jams into the t-top....wtf??? I take off the panel...the "genius" never got all the "clips" into the damn holes...no way he could not have known, and the upper limit stop for the rear of the window is missing (if it had fell off, it would have been at the bottom of the door as it's nowhere else to go)...unbelievible!!!

I never went back as I know they would argue the point (and I will NEVER buy a thing there again...I already talked 3 potential customers into going elsewhere!!), so I fixed the panels myself (luckly, the "hooks" didn't break when I straightend them out), but the "nut" part of the stop is missing, and I'm told by GM parts the "nut" or "bumper part (that the bolt screws into) is sold as part of the rear channel, and the rear channel is no longer made!!! WTF!!!! The bolt you can still get ( it's actually the same bolt thats used to bolt on the hood). I swear, GM is it own worst enemy!!

Anyways, short of a junkyard, anyone know where, or have that part (nut), or know what the hell it looks like, or is made of/substitute??? Any bird '93 up is the same. Thanx.
    It's sad but it seems like very few tech's take pride in there work anymore. The mechanic was probably being paid warranty time and hurried it out the door. I would rather attempt to do something on my car and fuck it up just to learn how to do it right than to pay someone that could give a shit because at the end of the day his Toyota runs just fine.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    It's sad but it seems like very few tech's take pride in there work anymore. The mechanic was probably being paid warranty time and hurried it out the door. I would rather attempt to do something on my car and fuck it up just to learn how to do it right than to pay someone that could give a shit because at the end of the day his Toyota runs just fine.
    It is a sad state of affairs....I just figured that sometimes when I couldn't get to things (repairs)...for whatever reasons, I could find a local dealer that I could halfass trust to do a decent job on something as simple as that....lol...I guess they showed me...! Your "philosophy" sounds spot on....

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    It might be a pain but take apart the pass side and see what is missing. Maybe take a pic so we can see what it is.
    Lol...funny you should mention that....! I was kinda' hoping not to have to do it, but it's looking more like I'll have to....then maybe fab something up so I can put this new motor in myself, when I find the time (which it always seem I always have very little of these days). If I do, i'll take/post some pix.

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Where are you in va i might be able to help im the service manager in a gm dealership
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

What you want? I have two doors sitting in my garage and one is already taken apart. Is it the guide rail at the back? The one where the little stub from the window rides in to guide the window up/down and in/out?

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS16SPD View Post
    Where are you in va i might be able to help im the service manager in a gm dealership
    I'm in Hampton, VA. Can't seem to get this pic to load. Run out of time....got a doc app, so will try again later. Thanx for the feed back.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    What you want? I have two doors sitting in my garage and one is already taken apart. Is it the guide rail at the back? The one where the little stub from the window rides in to guide the window up/down and in/out?
    Exactly! And at the very top of that guide rail, it has marks on it like a ruler, with a bolt that slides up & down to adjust the up & down movment of the back half of the glass. That bolt, and that nut/stop that the bolt screws in to....is what I need. Thanx.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Exactly! And at the very top of that guide rail, it has marks on it like a ruler, with a bolt that slides up & down to adjust the up & down movment of the back half of the glass. That bolt, and that nut/stop that the bolt screws in to....is what I need. Thanx.
    will check on that when I get home today

Black
    98 Trans Am

will check on that when I get home today
    Thanx for your time!

Black
    98 Trans Am

This is the pic:

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

This is the pic:
    Yeah, I have all that shyt. Will double check today 'cos I didn't get home till late last night, but I'm pretty sure I have everything 'cos I just switched my window with the extra door I had 'cos the tab broke off the one in my T/A

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

This is the pic:
    Is the stop at the bottom a bolt with some rubber around the nut? You could probably get the right length bolt and some heater hose glued to the nut and make that work if no one has the part.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Found it! PM me your addy and I'll get it in the mail for you ... or you can just get a small block of aluminum and drill tap a hole in it

Black
    98 Trans Am

Thumbs up

Found it! PM me your addy and I'll get it in the mail for you ... or you can just get a small block of aluminum and drill tap a hole in it
    PM sent.....

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Is the stop at the bottom a bolt with some rubber around the nut? You could probably get the right length bolt and some heater hose glued to the nut and make that work if no one has the part.
    dunno.....never seen the nut part before, but that sounds like a great idea also. "That Guy 2-1" has the missing parts and is gonna' hook me up! You guys are what makes this damn site #1 in my book!!! Many thanx dude!!

Thread Information