Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Starts fine, but won't stay running (help)

This is a discussion on Starts fine, but won't stay running (help) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Seriously, check your EGR. If the EGR is stuck open, it will allow an unmetered amount of exhaust into the ...

NBM
    '00 Z28

Seriously, check your EGR. If the EGR is stuck open, it will allow an unmetered amount of exhaust into the intake and it would cause about every problem you've explained.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    Seriously, check your EGR. If the EGR is stuck open, it will allow an unmetered amount of exhaust into the intake and it would cause about every problem you've explained.

and where do you find the EGR on a 2001 ls1????

scheier
    I see where the EGR is on my brother's 2000, but have no idea on my 2001.

I can see electrical problems (MAF, Coolant sensor, TPS, etc.) being the issue b/c the car was fine the night before, then the next morning, total crap. While the cats may not be letting the right amount of flow, could they all of the sudden cause such difference?

Where is the TPS? I'm not by my car, but is it on top of the throttle body?

I think the car is running rich from the smell and the heavy smoke. I already dumped B-12 into the system for cleaning and water, but I already ran two bottles through 2 months ago AND I can't run the whole tank of gas with it running so crappy.

I love the ideas flowing though. 1 hr and 15 minutes till I get to work on her again....

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

2001 on up LSx powered engines do not have an EGR... so dont worry about that!

The TPS is the black "paddle" shaped component on the drivers side of the throttle body! It turns the rotation of the TB blade into volts. Letting the computer know how heavy you are on the throttle!

Yes a cat can get clogged within a second, so yes it could be that!

Do you think that maybe to using to much engine cleaner may have damaged something in the fuel lines? I dont know, I have never used cleaners of the such!

01/02 cars don't have EGR. You really need to get a scanner/code reader on the car to see what's going on. Know anyone with ATAP, Predator...etc? Coolant temp (ECT) sensors are about $25 at a dealer - PN 15326388.

Metallic Pewter
    99 Pontiac Firebird TA

How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter out?

Metallic Pewter
    99 Pontiac Firebird TA

OOPS what about a fouled spark plug or plugs? You said that the spark plug wires were all snug, did you check for a short in one? Maybe melted against the exhaust manifold?

SILVER
    2002 WS6 CONV

MAP Sensor

Maniflod Absolute Preasure. hey guys do these vehicles still use this sensor....i forgot one of my other gm vehicles did this also....same problems as the maf sensor but it never had one of those....this sensor has a vacum line and a electrical connector.....they're pretty cheap too....

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

B12 is B-A-D. Never use anything like that on an LS1, I'm ready to know what's wrong with your car though. I have seen cats do that overnight before, symptoms exactly like you describe. There are many things it could be though, let us know what you find

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

and yeah, we have a MAP and they can cause big problems in the rare case that they do cause problems

SILVER
    2002 WS6 CONV

map sensor

not sure if these cars have this sensor anymore. but i had an older gm product that had like characteristics. this vehicle didn't have a maf sensor, it was one of those old throttle body injection vehicles. starts and runs bad, like no power, black smoke. you could kinda keep it running by working the accelerator but the power loss was significant. i thought it was the maf, same chitty attitude, tried everything but nothing helped until i replaced this sensor. manifold absolute preasure.....i think the t/a's still use this sensor, not sure though....

SILVER
    2002 WS6 CONV

if you were close to dc i'd let you come over and swap sensors until you found the problem....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

There's a MAP on these cars? I always thought a motor either had a MAF or a MAP....why do you need both...is having both even possible, since a MAP is mainly used on a speed density set-up. All I know is every car/truck i've owned either had a maf, map, or a carb...but never 2 of the 3

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

oh shit..nevermind...my girls cavalier has both...I think, i'll have to check when she gets home

Where's the map on a ls1?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I don't know where it is, but I was lookin at my wiring diagrams and it showed a MAP

scheier

Narrowing, but don't know the part

Above the TPS is a snap in sensor with four wires (I think). Anyway, I pulled it out and the car would idle on its own. It's not the coolant sensor, MAF sensor, TPS, or air lid filter. It is about 1/2" wide and 3/4" long. It goes into the braid with the other sensor lines.

When I pulled it, the car started fine and ran at around 1K on its own. I pushed the accelerater a few times and noticed it would rev it self every once in a while to 2-3k.

I downloaded the electronic manual, but it's at home. Anyone know what the sensor is that I'm talking about?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by scheier
    Above the TPS is a snap in sensor with four wires (I think). Anyway, I pulled it out and the car would idle on its own. It's not the coolant sensor, MAF sensor, TPS, or air lid filter. It is about 1/2" wide and 3/4" long. It goes into the braid with the other sensor lines.

When I pulled it, the car started fine and ran at around 1K on its own. I pushed the accelerater a few times and noticed it would rev it self every once in a while to 2-3k.

I downloaded the electronic manual, but it's at home. Anyone know what the sensor is that I'm talking about?
    I believe your talking about your IAC, which is for idle control!!!

scheier
    Correct on the idle control. Turns out when I unplug the MAF, idles better, but won't drive down the road. Same exact reaction when pulling the TPS. As soon as any of those are back on, car won't idle. Makes me think that it has something to do with the mixture, but sucks, b/c I can't drive it to a dealer for a scan. I'm too worried about fouling plugs or washing out the guts for running too rich.

Still waiting on brother's OEM MAF.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

diagnosis is always the worst part, this sucks man good luck

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Some systems only use a MAP sensor. this is possible because intake manifold pressure is the same as Barometric pressure when the ignition is on with the engine nor running, and when the engine is at wide open throttle.The PCM reads barometric pressure when ignition is first turned on and stores it in memory, then updates the memory every time the throttle is moved to wide open. At all other times the PCM reads intake manifold vacuum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information