red
    73 Z28

starting problem

My 01 TA manual 55K occasionally refuses to start. I used to just shut the key all the way off and try again but as time goes on it's getting worse. The other day I was making plans to get a ride, took about 5 tries before it started). Once it starts it runs fine. No real pattern to it, usually no more than once a week. I guess most often on a cold start but the other day it was hot.
    Any ideas?

white

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    My 01 TA manual 55K occasionally refuses to start. I used to just shut the key all the way off and try again but as time goes on it's getting worse. The other day I was making plans to get a ride, took about 5 tries before it started). Once it starts it runs fine. No real pattern to it, usually no more than once a week. I guess most often on a cold start but the other day it was hot.
    Any ideas?
    check for spark, plugs or coils if not then is gasoline.regulator or pump check engine light??

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

noticed anything with your "security" light? it might be the VATS. or does it actually crank but no start? if it doesnt crank and just all the lights on your dash light up then it might be the VATS.

red
    73 Z28

No lights and it cranks like mad. Hadn't thought of plugs, I'm used to small blocks that eat a set in less than 10k and run lousy. This one runs fine but it does get dogged around town.

white

No lights and it cranks like mad. Hadn't thought of plugs, I'm used to small blocks that eat a set in less than 10k and run lousy. This one runs fine but it does get dogged around town.
    looks like a ignition problem..

Pewter
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    noticed anything with your "security" light? it might be the VATS. or does it actually crank but no start? if it doesnt crank and just all the lights on your dash light up then it might be the VATS.

+1 vats

NBM
    98 trans am

Any ideas?
    its the thing that reads the key chip, and its getting worn down or something like that yeaaaaa

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if it's turning over and your security isn't flashing then it's not vats. If shutting the key off and then turning it back on helps it would make me want to check the fuel pressure. Sounds like it could be the regulator nose diving on you.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

check ur wire nuts on starter , and leading to battery

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by metalmechanic View Post
    check ur wire nuts on starter , and leading to battery
    wire nuts... hahha

red
    73 Z28

I never looked at that chip in the key before. All they did was shove a surface mount resistor into a rubber mount. Yep, it's coded, in a stone axe analog sorta code. The bypass is a great idea and should cut down on the price of keys.
    Mine measures 2.36K so it's a 2.4K. Wanna start a collection of the values, I can get resistors real cheap (.01ea @100).....might take some working out....

I was told there is a sensor that won't let it start w/o oil pressure buy there is no sign of leakage and I topped off the oil.
    Thanks a bunch for all the ideas so far!

Blackq
    2001 trans am

I just had this same problem on mine. Look in your fuse box under the hood, There is a fuel injector relay, all the shop had to do on mine was like tap on it and the car starts fine every time now. hope thats all yours is. I forgot the percise fuse its call but try just adjusting them all. Gotta love pontiac!

Thread Information