Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Issues

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Starting Issues

I have a stock 95 Formula that seems to have a bit of trouble starting up. At first I thought it was because of the cold weather, but today wasn't very cold at all, I wore a short sleeve t-shirt. Anyways, it turns over and over but doesn't seem to fire until like the 7th try. It always does that when I haven't driven it for about 2-3 hours..

Im assuming you already checked your battery and charging system.

try turning your key to the on position for a couple seconds before cranking it. See if the problem comes back. Last time I saw something like that happen it ended up that the computer was just going through an adjustment cycle(adjusting for air temp, altitude, etc.) before it let it fire over.

Not 100% sure that's ur problem, but it's worth checking out.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycis View Post
    Im assuming you already checked your battery and charging system.

try turning your key to the on position for a couple seconds before cranking it. See if the problem comes back. Last time I saw something like that happen it ended up that the computer was just going through an adjustment cycle(adjusting for air temp, altitude, etc.) before it let it fire over.

Not 100% sure that's ur problem, but it's worth checking out.
    Yea, I checked those, they are fine. I tried leavin the key in the on position for a few seconds, and did the same thing. Also, my turn signal and back up light fuse keeps blowin, within 10 secs of me placing one in their. Short somewhere, or just bad connections?? Thanks for the reply though.

Quote Originally Posted by TASleepr View Post
    Yea, I checked those, they are fine. I tried leavin the key in the on position for a few seconds, and did the same thing. Also, my turn signal and back up light fuse keeps blowin, within 10 secs of me placing one in their. Short somewhere, or just bad connections?? Thanks for the reply though.
    if your fuse keeps blowin then you have a short somewhere. Have you checked the volts on your batt before you try starting it? The short could drain your battery below 10v over a period of time. Once your batt gets below 10v your computer doesn't have enough juice to function and will lose its memory. The question is would 10v be enough to crank the motor?

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

if your fuse keeps blowin then you have a short somewhere. Have you checked the volts on your batt before you try starting it? The short could drain your battery below 10v over a period of time. Once your batt gets below 10v your computer doesn't have enough juice to function and will lose its memory. The question is would 10v be enough to crank the motor?
    Actually now that you mentioned that, it has drained my battery a bit, when I turn the key to the on position now, it is in the lil orange area, I guess below ten volts?

well whatever the actual voltage I know when it gets to the "orange area" The computer will shut off to keep from draining the battery further.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

well whatever the actual voltage I know when it gets to the "orange area" The computer will shut off to keep from draining the battery further.
    So i have a short then? I think I have bad wiring to begin with though, because sometimes my parking brake light comes on and other times it doesn't. Also my low coolant light comes on every once in a while, but it hasn't in about 2 days, I just think my wires are all messed up or something.

Well chances are your low coolant light is coming on for reasons other than wiring, same with the parking brake light. If those are wiring issues also then you have a cross-short on your hand... which is a whole different animal.

Chances are you just have a part of your wiring harness that got pinched, rubbed up against something, or got too close to something too hot. Get a wiring diagram and look for places along the circuit that could come into these situations.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Well chances are your low coolant light is coming on for reasons other than wiring, same with the parking brake light. If those are wiring issues also then you have a cross-short on your hand... which is a whole different animal.

Chances are you just have a part of your wiring harness that got pinched, rubbed up against something, or got too close to something too hot. Get a wiring diagram and look for places along the circuit that could come into these situations.

Well my coolant level is full, I check that everyday. Someone told me I might have air in the system, and to take off the cap and let my car run to op temp. I tried that and the light didnt come on for about 3 days, and now its back again. Yea, i'll guess i'll have to find a diagram somewhere, thanks for you input though man.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Check your rear sockets for moisture. Might be getting moisture back there and messed up a socket.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Check your rear sockets for moisture. Might be getting moisture back there and messed up a socket.
    I removed the tail lights, and found out that the back left turn signal socket is corroded as hell. The light won't come on at all, even with a new bulb.. So a new socket and i'm set?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

That's a good place to start. I would imagine that'll fix your problems. While you have it apart see if you can find where the moisture is getting in at and fix it or you'll be doing it again at some point.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

K guys, thanks for all the help

black
    98 Camaro

a short in the turn signal circuit would not cause a starting problem. also, if the engine is cranking then you do not have a starting and charging problem. if the problem is only when the car sits for a few hours then you are probably bleeding back fuel pressure to the tank, indicating a bad fuel tank check vavle. next time you try to start it after it has sat for a few hours turn the the key on, engine off for two seconds like someone said earlier. do this at least three times before cranking. if it fires up after the third key cycle then the problem is fuel pressure.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by tdking112 View Post
    a short in the turn signal circuit would not cause a starting problem. also, if the engine is cranking then you do not have a starting and charging problem. if the problem is only when the car sits for a few hours then you are probably bleeding back fuel pressure to the tank, indicating a bad fuel tank check vavle. next time you try to start it after it has sat for a few hours turn the the key on, engine off for two seconds like someone said earlier. do this at least three times before cranking. if it fires up after the third key cycle then the problem is fuel pressure.
    Yea, we were tryin to figure out why my fuse kept blowin for my turn signals... Yes, it does only happen when it sits for about 2-3 hours. When it sits for 2-3 hrs, i'll crank it once and itll turn, then the second time it fires up. When I leave it overnight, that's when it takes me 9+ tries. My batt voltage is below 12.4, could that maybe be the main reason, or is it probably the pressure like you said?

black
    98 Camaro

as long as it cranks then the problem is not the battery. next time you let it sit overnight, cycle the key several times like I mentioned, then try to fire it up. let me know what happens.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by tdking112 View Post
    as long as it cranks then the problem is not the battery. next time you let it sit overnight, cycle the key several times like I mentioned, then try to fire it up. let me know what happens.

Tried that, still the same problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what your fuel pressure is? You can buy a gauge for ~$20 or so. Nice to have one laying around. That's the first place I would start. Like tdking112 said, it sounds like a pressure regulator problem but personally I would tackle these one at a time. Have you fixed the socket yet and got that ironed out? Get that fixed then move on to the next problem. Post back up and let us know how it's going. The fixes are great for other people that run into these same issues down the road. It's nice when people post up the fix.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what your fuel pressure is? You can buy a gauge for ~$20 or so. Nice to have one laying around. That's the first place I would start. Like tdking112 said, it sounds like a pressure regulator problem but personally I would tackle these one at a time. Have you fixed the socket yet and got that ironed out? Get that fixed then move on to the next problem. Post back up and let us know how it's going. The fixes are great for other people that run into these same issues down the road. It's nice when people post up the fix.
    I haven't had a chance to do anything yet, to many hours at work. On monday I will try and start one at a time on the issues. Also, I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, I seen them at the store I work at (Pepboys). Anyways, i'm gonna try the socket first for the fuse, so I won't give a cop a reason to pull me over (no blinkers), then i'll check the pressure.. Thnx again for all the help, and I will be postin back here soon to give my prgress..

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Update! I replaced the sockets, and the fuse still keeps blowing, (Turn signals, Back up Light). I did put my window motor in Finally!! Anyways, still has trouble starting, even after leavin the key on etc etc.. So I don't know if I should buy a new fuel pressure regulator or what..

Thread Information