Thread: Starting Issue

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Starting Issue

I am having a starting issue with my Trans Am and I am hoping someone can help me out, please.

What happens is that upon starting, the engine will turn over but never fires. Occasionally it will start up and when it does, it runs fine (no hesitation while driving, idles normal, good oil pressure, ect...). I believe that I am getting fuel to the engine since it eventually will start but to verify, I will be purchacing a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow.

I have not checked the spark plugs for spark or to see what kind of condition they are in. I replaced them and the wires less than 5,000 miles ago. Again, since it will eventually start, I have put this on the back burner.

I am getting no SES light and no security light, so I do not believe this is a VATS issue. A few times in the past she has thrown a P0141 code but I believe this to be unrelated since that is a O2 sensor issue (including this in case someone thinks otherwise).

I have replaced the starter relay, crankshaft positon sensor and the camshaft positon sensor with no luck (started with the cheapest part, working my way up to the most expensive). I read in the forums of some guys having a similar issue with failed CKS and CMS, so that is why I replaced those.

My battery is a bit old (8-year old Interstate), but still showing 12.3 volts. I will be cleaning all of the contacts at the battery and checking the contacts on the starter tomorrow but I don't think that this will make a difference...but it could.

The car did sit all winter, but I started it every two weeks and let it run for 30mins with no issue. I am still trying to run the old gas out of her. At first I thought that this might be the issue since on a cold start old gas doesn't want to start as well but this starting issue has happened on both cold and hot engine tempatures.

Right now I am leaning towards a failing starter and/or bad battery but this has me wondering since the starter does spin the engine...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Nick

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

if it turns over but doesnt fire its not the starter. Sounds like fueling issues to me. Check the PSI at the fuel rail.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

What PSI range should I see?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

55-60 psi

Black
    2000 Trans Am

After a bit of online research I found a post by a gentleman that had a similar issue and said it was a bad ignition relay.

This morning before I left for work, I swapped out relays and the car started 3 times in a row perfectly. I will be testing this again on my lunch hour and when I get home tonight.

I will follow up either way with the result...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by TA814 View Post
    After a bit of online research I found a post by a gentleman that had a similar issue and said it was a bad ignition relay.

This morning before I left for work, I swapped out relays and the car started 3 times in a row perfectly. I will be testing this again on my lunch hour and when I get home tonight.

I will follow up either way with the result...
    That would do it as well..

Keep us posted

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Well, I am pretty certian that it was the ignition relay. I have started it up over 6 times now and she fires up each time.

Thanks to everyone for their help... now on to installing Strano's hollow sway bar set

Red
    2001 Trans Am

I had this same issue, and chased it all winter... changed cam sensor, crank sensor.... got a code reader, no codes.....perfect fuel pressure.. cranked fine.... chased all over vats... had no injector pulse or spark....

IT WAS 2 BAD RELAYS AT THE SAME TIME!! i just started shoting in the dark and swapped the fan relays for the starter and ingnition relays and boom! perfect running bird.

TRY THE RELAY SWAP AROUND FIRST....
    GOOD LUCK.... hope thats the cause... relays are cheap, sensors are not!

Red
    2001 Trans Am

oops, didnt see last post....lol those damn relays!!!!

Thread Information