Thread: Starter Broke

Silver
    99 Trans Am

Starter Broke

Hey Everyone. I have a 1999 Trans Am. 5.7 6spd. a few nights ago when I started up the car I heard a big clunk and then the starter started spinning free when I would try to start it. So I left it at work and decided to look at over the weekend. Well I thought that maybe it was just loose bolts and that the starter had come undone. Got under it today and found the starter sitting loose because somehow the two bolts that hold it secure to the engine had busted the mounting hole for the starter and severed the mounting hole on the actual engine where the bolt threads up into the engine. Is there anyone who might have ever had this problem and is there any ways of maybe fixing this. I bought a brand new starter and tried to make it work with just that one bolt but when I screwed it up into the one good hole it broke the aluminum housing on the starter again. I have pics if if anyone needs to see exactly what Im talking about. Thanks for the help

Chris

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

There was another member with the same issue, Not sure how he fixed it but it wasnt cheap. Post up some pics and you may get some more feedback.
    Is the motor seized?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like sunsetorangess said, have you tried turning the motor over by hand? I remember the guy he's talking about. Drove through a flood and got water sucked into the engine I think and when he tried to crank it was when it busted the starter off. Even if you're engine isn't seized that's a very bad break. I would think at a minimum it's gonna have to be pulled and hopefully you can find someone that can TIG weld it back on. Sorry to hear about that and good luck on getting it fixed. The good news is it can be fixed, just have to find the right guy to weld it.

Silver
    99 Trans Am

Luckily the engine is not seized. it runs and drives just like it always has. I can blame alot of this problem on myself. I thought that the starter was sounding louder than usual this winter when I was driving but didnt take a look at it. Im assuming that the bolts got loose and then the strain of starting broke everything. I guess I will be pulling the motor soon to see about getting it fixed. thanks guys

Thread Information